spc
uniqs
webfors
join:2006-10-03
Kanata, ON

webfors to paRaMeND

to paRaMeND

Re: [Cable] Frequent disconnects

I'm on the fallowfield POI and have been experiencing this for the past couple of months. I've called TSI and after lengthy conversation we determined it was the old DCM475 STAC.02.08 firmware. However the solution was to buy a new modem, which I did from TSI. They sent me a new DCM476 (STAC.02.31) and the problem persists!!!

Why did some in this thread have a new modem shipped to them without charge, while I had to pay for a new one??

I'm about to go OCD on this if this doesn't get addressed, and nobody wants me to go off like that :P
taytong888
join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

taytong888

said by webfors:

I'm on the fallowfield POI and have been experiencing this for the past couple of months. I've called TSI and after lengthy conversation we determined it was the old DCM475 STAC.02.08 firmware. However the solution was to buy a new modem, which I did from TSI. They sent me a new DCM476 (STAC.02.31) and the problem persists!!!

Has it ever occurred to everyone that Thompson/RCA/Technicolor makes very compact DSL/cable modems? Compact circuit boards tend to overheat resulting in disconnection problem. I now have a small Thompson ST516 DSL modem and it's quite warm. I used to have a small DLink DI-524 wireless router which disconnects frequently, until I opened it up and glued some RAM heat sinks onto the radio chip. Also had to stand the unit vertically to dissipate heat. I now specifically favor large Netgear wireless routers because they have larger surface areas to dissipate heat. In fact, my current router is Netgear WNR-834B which stands vertically, does not need any RAM heat sink, and runs almost 365 days a year without rebooting.

Perhaps you folks can look at Motorola SB 6120/6121/6141... cable modems because they are larger than Technicolor DCM 425/475/476 modems.
webfors
join:2006-10-03
Kanata, ON

webfors

If you google the common error log entry that causes this you'll find dozens of threads from every cable provider in North America with every cable modem.

While your point is valid, I've had wireless routers overheat before (in fact it was a Netgear wifi router) I don't believe this is a modem issue. Techs at Rogers don't believe it's a modem issue, since they are sending a line tech to my house/area on Tuesday. This is a RF issue between my house and the cmts.

Here's a good read that clarified the possible scenarios to me:

»volpefirm.com/docsis-101 ··· tenance/

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

1 edit

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Re: [Cable] Understanding Modem Logs

said by webfors:

Here's a good read that clarified the possible scenarios to me:
»volpefirm.com/docsis-101 ··· tenance/

You can also glean a little more information reading Cisco CMTS documents system messages docwiki online.

I read enough to understand how they 'communicate' and 'interact' with the cable modem's. Since then, I don't feel too stressed over it like when the modem logs are peppered with T3's and T4's and seemingly arcane codes like D106.0, R02.0, T05.0.

After a while you start to grasp how it works and kind of understand why sometimes the engineer guy on the other end doesn't get too concerned when people come screaming about an abundance of modem logs that make it look like something bad happened. We are after all, not Cisco engineers, so this foreign stuff looks intimidating to the uninitiated.