how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

amorak

join:2011-03-12

Shaw Gateway / Portal - ETHERNET PORT

Hi guys,

I am getting the Shaw EXO Gateway installed in a week. I bought 1xGateway and 3xPortals for my three HDTVs.

I am currently on Telus and plug my media server int he basement into my Telus combo router/modem and then plug my WDTVs into the Ethernet jack on the Telus "portals. This allows me to have the server in the basement but whole home access to it.

Can anyone tell me if I can do the same on Shaw?

1) Is the ethernet port on the Portal active?

2) Is the ethernet port(s) active on the gateway?

Thanks!!

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1

From what I've been told, the answer is "no".

It's certainly possible since the gateway and portals use MoCA to serve up networking, but from what I was told, they aren't active.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

I know others have used MoCA to ethernet adapaters,

And connected the Portals via ethernet.

I don't know all what others have tried with them.
Ethernet on the Gateway to Ethernet on Portals, does not work.

What you want, I don't think so.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

I have the definitive on the current status of this from my testing:

1. The Gateway does not connect to the internet at this time. The ethernet ports on the gateway are not currently used. Shaw has plans for them in the future. It is said that the gateway and portals will be able to connect to a DNLA server and do exactly what you are using your WD Live's for.

2. The Ethernet Port on the Portals is an alternative to the MoCA cable port on them. They both function the same. If you plug the port's ethernet port into a MoCA bridge, then you can watch TV the same (but with your last cable run being Cat5e). If you plug anything else into that ethernet port, it probably won't do anything but see the portal trying to DHCP, or something, if the coax MoCA cable is unplugged.

------------------
Bottom Line: No.
Will this be available in the future: Possibly, when the gateway is also connecting to the internet and acting as your home's gateway to the internet. T.
-----------------
What solution will you need? Wifi, Cat5e/Cat6, or Powerline networking.

MoCA Bridge's won't help you if you connect them to your internet modem (shaw will install one) or internet modem/router unit. The Portals re-DHCP every now and then, and will lose connectivity to your gateway and you won't be able to watch TV.

I use powerline networking due to this, which is a good alternative. Look for Powerline AV500 products, they can carry 720P reliably, but not 1080P.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

Yeah this has been a HIGHLY requested feature since the May Customer Focus groups in 2011. However despite this Shaw development and planning are dragging their heels it seems not his and few other requested features. I wish they would keep us more informed.

P.S. Sorry if I sound like I am in a pissy mood, just having a bad day.

amorak

reply to ravenchilde

Darn - I will be returning my Gateway and 2xPortals then and cancelling my installation. Shaw needs to get their sh*** together if they don't want to be cleaned out by Telus.

amorak

reply to ravenchilde

Just wanted to thank you for the great info ravenchilde - I really appreciate it.

ravenchilde

I'm sorry that won't work out for you.

The Shaw Gateway was built by a different manufacturer than the Cisco units being used by Telus. So therefore they have different functionality.

Powerline networking would let you switch to Shaw and get your WD Live's working. Or wifi.

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC

I have never seen PowerLine networking function well enough to handle HD streaming.

It works fine for my printer but I wouldn't want to use it for anything more.

Lesaonar

join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC
reply to ravenchilde

said by ravenchilde:

Will this be available in the future: Possibly, when the gateway is also connecting to the internet and acting as your home's gateway to the internet. T.

Last tech that was out, a couple months back, stated that it was definitely in the works and would probably be live by the end of the year. Whether there's any reality in his statements is another story.
--
Anon filter enabled. Register an account if you want to be taken seriously.

Lesaonar

join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC
reply to amorak

said by amorak:

Darn - I will be returning my Gateway and 2xPortals then and cancelling my installation. Shaw needs to get their sh*** together if they don't want to be cleaned out by Telus.

That's probably one of the most laughable statements I've ever read. Enjoy sharing your bandwidth with your TV, enjoy slower speeds, non-bridgeable modem and sub-par support across the board. After our experiences with Telus, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
--
Anon filter enabled. Register an account if you want to be taken seriously.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to amorak

said by amorak:

Sorry that you feel this way. But please dont compare using the shaw gateway system to Telus offering as the underlying technologies act very different

fender

Vancouver, BC

Yeah. One is actually pure IPTV.

I'm not an anti-shaw person... please don't misunderstand.

I do wish that they would move to actual IPTV, though.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

What would be a big advantage of IPTV be, that QAM doesn't provide?

Using 360 as a terminal? But the gateway could provide this.

Only advantage I can think of right now is the guide would know which channels you subscribe to. Which is minor.

-Posted from my phone.

fender

Vancouver, BC

What do you think provides the best opportunity for quality?

1) Superior codec and delivering 8 simultaneous high quality streams...

or ..

2) trying to cram 200 channels down the pipe simultaneously.

Doonz

Beaumont, AB

said by fender:

What do you think provides the best opportunity for quality?

1) Superior codec and delivering 8 simultaneous high quality streams...

or ..

2) trying to cram 200 channels down the pipe simultaneously.

Oy Vey Telus forum -----> That Way

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to fender

Coax hardware currently deployed is rated 1GHz? Cable good to 3GHz

Approx 150 6MHz 'pipes' are possible now.

But again, that is Telus vs Shaw,

Not a benift of IPTV, which can be deployed on coax as well.

I ask again, what benift is there over QAM?

-Posted from my phone.

fender

Vancouver, BC
reply to Doonz

I'm not a Telus customer.

I'm just lamenting that my initial excitement about Shaw's Gateway was destroyed when I discovered that it was only IPTV on-premises fed by QAM.

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to kevinds

Obviously the benefit is that because Telus TV is broadcast directly through fiber, the channels come in
- More clearly (Have you tried shining a flashlight through a copper cable? You can barely see anything)
- Sound is more crystal clear (Cause fiber is more like crystal)
- News are less cloudy and convoluted (Transparent like the glass in the Fiberglass)
- Price is also better because glass is cheaper than metal

Overall it's the best choice around, and we should all just realize that and update our RSS feeds for the new shows that are coming out this fall, because let's face it, with our outdated, low-q connections, it would probably take us a whooping 3-4 hours to download our month's worth of TV poison.

Hows that for a Telus troll Doonz?

Doonz

Beaumont, AB

said by ilianame:

Obviously the benefit is that because Telus TV is broadcast directly through fiber, the channels come in
- More clearly (Have you tried shining a flashlight through a copper cable? You can barely see anything)
- Sound is more crystal clear (Cause fiber is more like crystal)
- News are less cloudy and convoluted (Transparent like the glass in the Fiberglass)
- Price is also better because glass is cheaper than metal

Overall it's the best choice around, and we should all just realize that and update our RSS feeds for the new shows that are coming out this fall, because let's face it, with our outdated, low-q connections, it would probably take us a whooping 3-4 hours to download our month's worth of TV poison.

Hows that for a Telus troll Doonz?

Bahahah I woulda just thought you were a telus salesman/woman with that spiel

EDIT:

Can IPTV do this without breaking your tv viewing experience?

In:2.57 TB OUT:0.28 TB

ravenchilde

Optik mean's it's FTTH right?

Doonz

Beaumont, AB

said by ravenchilde:

Optik mean's it's FTTH right?

No im coining a new one. FTTPC

fender

Vancouver, BC
reply to amorak

Lol, I'm honestly not here to troll Shaw. I'm happily a BB100 customer and eagerly awaiting my area to be upgraded so that I can move to 250.

I'm also a huge fan of doing everything possible to get rid of the terrible macro-blocking I have to endure when watching sports/etc.

Telus is not perfect nor a great example of an alternative for this. They use horrible DSL technology that means that even their 6 IPTV streams are of abysmal quality although at times definitely outshine what I have at home.

I've done a fair bit of comparison. I have to deal with Telus when I'm at my in-laws vs. my Shaw service at home.

Doonz

Beaumont, AB

said by fender:

Lol, I'm honestly not here to troll Shaw. I'm happily a BB100 customer and eagerly awaiting my area to be upgraded so that I can move to 250.

I'm also a huge fan of doing everything possible to get rid of the terrible macro-blocking I have to endure when watching sports/etc.

Telus is not perfect nor a great example of an alternative for this. They use horrible DSL technology that means that even their 6 IPTV streams are of abysmal quality although at times definitely outshine what I have at home.

I've done a fair bit of comparison. I have to deal with Telus when I'm at my in-laws vs. my Shaw service at home.

Man Up. Make them Get Shaw. No body should have to suffer just cause your at the in-laws. (Heck i wouldn't goto mine until they upgraded there internet.... Dial up EWWWWWWW)

amorak

reply to amorak

FFS: Someone just update this thread when I can use the thernetports to network, okay?

Doonz

Beaumont, AB

said by amorak:

FFS: Someone just update this thread when I can use the thernetports to network, okay?

Im sure when that happens there will the hundreds of posts about them being enabled. Gawd would that be sweet!!!

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to amorak

Dude, quite honestly, there are boxes that are already dropped by Shaw that came with Ethernet ports and FireWire (For US legislature).

And to be honest, most of the regulars here will tell you that there's a lot more value to having your own purpose built network / equipment.

I really would not count on Shaw implementing the extra features such as networking on the Gateway. I'm sure the provisioning system Shaw already has in-place for the majority of customers with stand-alone modems is not going to be directly compatible (as well the support for such system will most likely not be on the enterprise level absolutely required for Shaw's operations).

In the end Shaw will do what makes most sense for them business-wise. Which typically coincides with the best/stable option for us the customers.

As well, personally I see no future behind boxes designed to carry "multiple channel broadcast". The real future is behind pick'n'choose Internet streaming. But unfortunately Shaw is a "cable" company, and they will continue to push their "bread and butter" services for as long as they possibly can.

fender

Vancouver, BC
reply to Doonz

You never win "man'ing up" with your in-laws.

My in-laws are great but I hardly want to be in any way shape or form responsible for their internet connection.

I don't know about you -- but if you make any insistent advice regarding technology with your in-laws any and all problems become your responsibility.

No thanks

Plus now I think they're locked into some terrible 3 year contract, anyway.

Expand your moderator at work

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Re: Shaw Gateway / Portal - ETHERNET PORT

Gateway and Portals as networking components at layer 2 would be fantastic.

Then giving the gateway an IP to get the shared files. I'm not sure the portals have enough cpu power to decode/transcode files. But still being able to use the Portals as ethernet bridges for other devices.

Just my opinion.

-Posted from my phone.