said by ravenchilde:

Bahahah I woulda just thought you were a telus salesman/woman with that spiel

Optik mean's it's FTTH right?

No im coining a new one. FTTPC

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC
reply to amorak
Lol, I'm honestly not here to troll Shaw. I'm happily a BB100 customer and eagerly awaiting my area to be upgraded so that I can move to 250.

I'm also a huge fan of doing everything possible to get rid of the terrible macro-blocking I have to endure when watching sports/etc.

Telus is not perfect nor a great example of an alternative for this. They use horrible DSL technology that means that even their 6 IPTV streams are of abysmal quality although at times definitely outshine what I have at home.

I've done a fair bit of comparison. I have to deal with Telus when I'm at my in-laws vs. my Shaw service at home.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by fender:

Lol, I'm honestly not here to troll Shaw. I'm happily a BB100 customer and eagerly awaiting my area to be upgraded so that I can move to 250.

I'm also a huge fan of doing everything possible to get rid of the terrible macro-blocking I have to endure when watching sports/etc.

Telus is not perfect nor a great example of an alternative for this. They use horrible DSL technology that means that even their 6 IPTV streams are of abysmal quality although at times definitely outshine what I have at home.

I've done a fair bit of comparison. I have to deal with Telus when I'm at my in-laws vs. my Shaw service at home.

Man Up. Make them Get Shaw. No body should have to suffer just cause your at the in-laws. (Heck i wouldn't goto mine until they upgraded there internet.... Dial up EWWWWWWW)

amorak

join:2011-03-12
reply to amorak
FFS: Someone just update this thread when I can use the thernetports to network, okay?

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by amorak:

FFS: Someone just update this thread when I can use the thernetports to network, okay?

Im sure when that happens there will the hundreds of posts about them being enabled. Gawd would that be sweet!!!

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to amorak
Dude, quite honestly, there are boxes that are already dropped by Shaw that came with Ethernet ports and FireWire (For US legislature).

And to be honest, most of the regulars here will tell you that there's a lot more value to having your own purpose built network / equipment.

I really would not count on Shaw implementing the extra features such as networking on the Gateway. I'm sure the provisioning system Shaw already has in-place for the majority of customers with stand-alone modems is not going to be directly compatible (as well the support for such system will most likely not be on the enterprise level absolutely required for Shaw's operations).

In the end Shaw will do what makes most sense for them business-wise. Which typically coincides with the best/stable option for us the customers.

As well, personally I see no future behind boxes designed to carry "multiple channel broadcast". The real future is behind pick'n'choose Internet streaming. But unfortunately Shaw is a "cable" company, and they will continue to push their "bread and butter" services for as long as they possibly can.

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC
reply to Doonz
You never win "man'ing up" with your in-laws.

My in-laws are great but I hardly want to be in any way shape or form responsible for their internet connection.

I don't know about you -- but if you make any insistent advice regarding technology with your in-laws any and all problems become your responsibility.

No thanks

Plus now I think they're locked into some terrible 3 year contract, anyway.
Expand your moderator at work

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

Re: Shaw Gateway / Portal - ETHERNET PORT

Gateway and Portals as networking components at layer 2 would be fantastic.

Then giving the gateway an IP to get the shared files. I'm not sure the portals have enough cpu power to decode/transcode files. But still being able to use the Portals as ethernet bridges for other devices.

Just my opinion.

-Posted from my phone.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
said by kevinds:

Gateway and Portals as networking components at layer 2 would be fantastic.

Then giving the gateway an IP to get the shared files. I'm not sure the portals have enough cpu power to decode/transcode files. But still being able to use the Portals as ethernet bridges for other devices.

Just my opinion.

-Posted from my phone.

The portals have MPEG2/4 decoders in them (h264 support even I believe). They have the horsepower. I suspect, like most commercial devices (xbox, PS3), that MP4 will be the only supported container.

GWSurvey

join:2012-06-05
Vancouver, BC
reply to amorak
From one of my sources, 7.0.3 is being pushed to customers june 5th to the 8th, and 7.0.4 will be the code drop that enables DLNA.

Enabling this would turn on the built in wifi, and ethernet ports so that you can hook your media server, computers and NAS directly to the gateway. Your cable modem would hook into the gateway to provide internet access to your devices from the gateway router. Using DLNA you will be able to stream videos, pictures and music to the portals in the home. The ports on the portals themselves are likely to be disabled, and extending internet to the portals is not an option at this time.

7.0.4 code release is supposed to come out next month, but who knows how long that will actually take.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
Its bull doo doo if they don't enable ethernet ports on the portals......this is a MUST HAVE!

ravenchilde

said by pkarlos_76:

Its bull doo doo if they don't enable ethernet ports on the portals......this is a MUST HAVE!

I've posted many times that the ethernet ports on the portals are active. They do exactly the same thing as the MoCA F-connector (coax) port. They let the portals connect to the gateway (via a MoCA bridge in my case, but the ethernet ports on the back of the gateway would likely work if they were enabled).

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
said by ravenchilde:

said by pkarlos_76:

I've posted many times that the ethernet ports on the portals are active. They do exactly the same thing as the MoCA F-connector (coax) port. They let the portals connect to the gateway (via a MoCA bridge in my case, but the ethernet ports on the back of the gateway would likely work if they were enabled).

So you mean if internet were enabled on the gateway then the internet would filter through the coax down to the portals and then come out those active internet ports?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Right now,

If you put a MoCA bridge on the coax output on the Gateway,

You can use the ethernet on the MoCA bridge, to connect to the ethernet on the Portals for TV service.

-Posted from my phone.

GWSurvey

Vancouver, BC
reply to pkarlos_76
Confirmed from source that 7.0.4 portals will have ethernet ports enabled, however it will only allow connectivity back to the gateway that allows tv to run over that instead of over moca. Moca is through coax, not ethernet.

There are reports on digitalhome that this config will not be supported by shaw if using ethernet rather than coax.

DHCP is not extended/passed through the portals to provide internet access outside of the portal. The ethernet port is not programmed to provide internet access.

I agree it would be a great feature to have, but probably won't happen for a long time, if ever. Maybe on a new gateway/portal hardware that is rumored to be coming soon.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
The ethernet port on the Portals is active now and works to get the TV signal from the Gateway.

With 7.0.4, will the ethernet ports be active on the Gateway? I don't follow any of the firmware releases.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

GWSurvey

Vancouver, BC
Hi kevinds,

Yes, that is the piece that is missing today where the ethernet ports are not active on the gateway. In 7.0.4 they are going to be active for dlna to work, which in turn will activate the ability to connect portals via moca (coax) or ethernet. Wifi is also said to be enabled in the gateway, although there are reports that the wifi N signal within the gateway is crap. I would imagine people that have a gateway in the basement are not going to get a good signal with multiple floors. There is a post on digitalhome of a us carrier that has this already enabled, and wifi is really bad within the gateway.

ravenchilde

reply to pkarlos_76
said by pkarlos_76:

said by ravenchilde:

said by pkarlos_76:

So you mean if internet were enabled on the gateway then the internet would filter through the coax down to the portals and then come out those active internet ports?

No. I mean that the ethernet ports are an alternative to using MoCA. I don't have any knowledge of how the MoCA/Ethernet is bridged in the Portal. It would have to have a DHCP helper that could run to broadcast your DHCP request to the gateway, or they have to be fully bridged together so that your broadcast would propagate down the MoCA to the gateway.

I can confirm that Ethernet ports on the portals are active today, and connected to a MoCA bridge you can receive TV on your portal using only the Ethernet port. This is from my own testing at home.

(Edit: I'm basically saying that after the F-Connector for cable input on the gateway, the system is entirely IPTV. MoCA or Ethernet are your two types of media you can use to watch TV.)