share rss forum feed

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to r81984

Re: Rely on New Technology?

said by r81984:

I doubt this.
The cheapest thing to do is truck over all the now unused aDSL equipment from the Uverse areas to these rural COs and plug it in.
Why throw away a bunch of functional aDSL equipment when it can be reused cheaply.
The only huge expense would be if they need to upgrade the rural COs internet connection.

But how well will that equipment work with old, crappy copper wire? I would think that ATT would have to spend money on upgrading the infrastructure too.

It looks like the suckers who bought Verizions unwanted networks have learned their lessons and are staying away from ATT's unwanted networks.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

said by mogamer:

said by r81984:

I doubt this.
The cheapest thing to do is truck over all the now unused aDSL equipment from the Uverse areas to these rural COs and plug it in.
Why throw away a bunch of functional aDSL equipment when it can be reused cheaply.
The only huge expense would be if they need to upgrade the rural COs internet connection.

But how well will that equipment work with old, crappy copper wire? I would think that ATT would have to spend money on upgrading the infrastructure too.

AT&T's phone lines are actually pretty good out here, other than not having DSL in Redwood Valley they have a strong, very dependable landline system.

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

Same thing here in southern Muskingum county in Ohio where I live. The copper plant here is also solid, lots of it was redone in the 80s. Even though the dialup on them in a lot of places is slow pings are around 200ms and pretty much do anything I can with them. DSL would work fine on most of them they never wanted to spend money to put it in.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to RR Conductor

said by RR Conductor:

AT&T's phone lines are actually pretty good out here, other than not having DSL in Redwood Valley they have a strong, very dependable landline system.

Carrying 3KHz-wide voice traffic is significantly less demanding than carrying high-speed data.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to mogamer

Its not the crappy copper so much, its the loop length.
Getting more than 1.5Mbps on runs of 4+ miles is impossible without repeaters and RT's, and the top speed is quite limited.

They could spend a bundle to deliver 2-4Mbps, only to see rural customers shrug. They don't subscribe to existing broadband when its available. Why would they buy slower DSL at higher prices?

LTE will be deployed in many of these areas, and despite the alarmist rhetoric you hear here daily, the offerings will be tailored and priced to entice purchase - so caps will be higher and prices lower, with speeds that decimate any copper product - AT&T would be foolish to invest in wired technology.