drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor

Re: [WA] what will happen with the state owned liquor stores?

All I know is that Safeway is advertising a fifth of smirnoff for ten bucks.

Really, even if prices are higher, this is a net positive for the state (as in a community, not a business): private industry is private industry once again.

W7PSK
Just Me
Premium Member
join:2000-12-04
Everett, WA

W7PSK

Premium Member

said by drew:

Really, even if prices are higher, this is a net positive for the state (as in a community, not a business): private industry is private industry once again.

DING

DanHo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

DanHo to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

Yeah, but what they aren't showing are the additional taxes that you'll get nailed with at the register.

»blog.seattlepi.com/seatt ··· pensive/

At first glance, the 750-ml. bottle of Absolut vodka for $20 at Fred Meyer in Seattle looks like a good deal. It’s $3 less than the day before, when the only place you could get a bottle of booze was in a government-run liquor store.

But tack on some hefty taxes, and that bottle of vodka is actually almost $27. That’s 17 percent more than what the state had charged, before Initiative 1183 takes effect Friday. ...

One noticeable change is advertising. Before, in Washington’s no-frills liquor stores, the shelf price was the cash register price. All taxes and fees were rolled into that price.

Now, retailers are free to advertise alluringly low prices, get you in their stores and then hit you with the sting of a $3.77 liter tax and 20.5 percent spirits tax at checkout.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

So you should drink something really expensive, say $75-100 a liter, then the $3.77 is a minor portion, and at that price a single drink or 2 is the most many would be will to pay for.

I'm hoping the liquior control board will at least require them to post the "with tax" price at the store, some people will be suprised at the register as the tax rate is so much higher than sales tax which doesn't apply to most "food" items (the description of what food is keeps changing )

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew to DanHo

Premium Member

to DanHo
That's BS.

I really dislike deceptive pricing.

DanHo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

1 edit

DanHo

Premium Member

Hell, cell & cable companies have been doing it for years.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Yep.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to DanHo

to DanHo
said by DanHo:

Now, retailers are free to advertise alluringly low prices, get you in their stores and then hit you with the sting of a $3.77 liter tax and 20.5 percent spirits tax at checkout

Well, I have that gut feeling this is not what "yes" voters had in mind, but they sure got what they wished for.