All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!

Interesting.

Well I got the iOS app to work on ipod.. it looks like the file on cydia wasn't a cracked version, but just some alternative config file that worked on the time warner version and also will work on the bright house app with a slight string edit.

If DRM was their reasoning fir ICS then it isn't surprising they said no to jail breaks, I guess when content protection is everything in your business there is no such thing as overreaction.

Anyways, app seems nice. It isn't big or bloated by any means, and its lack of configurations just adds to its simplicity. I also actually like how it leaves the system bar exposed so I can monitor the time and battery levels. I hate it when games don't give that option. ^^ Also now I don't feel like I am missing anything by not having a cable box in my room. Now if only they had a full fledge desktop app. Chrome app maybe?

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

1 edit

bigdaddy

said by JeffMD:

Interesting.

Well I got the iOS app to work on ipod.. it looks like the file on cydia wasn't a cracked version, but just some alternative config file that worked on the time warner version and also will work on the bright house app with a slight string edit.

If DRM was their reasoning fir ICS then it isn't surprising they said no to jail breaks, I guess when content protection is everything in your business there is no such thing as overreaction.

Anyways, app seems nice. It isn't big or bloated by any means, and its lack of configurations just adds to its simplicity. I also actually like how it leaves the system bar exposed so I can monitor the time and battery levels. I hate it when games don't give that option. ^^ Also now I don't feel like I am missing anything by not having a cable box in my room. Now if only they had a full fledge desktop app. Chrome app maybe?

A Windows Desktop Application would Be A welcome Addition to the Portfolio of TV Viewing Option's. As well as an Online HTML 5 Browser based Access.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to JeffMD

Premium Member

to JeffMD
said by JeffMD:

Interesting.

I had a feeling it would work. Congrats, circumventing things you're not supposed to be able to do is pretty fun
quote:
A Windows Desktop Application would Be A welcome Addition to the Portfolio of TV Viewing Option's. As well as an Online HTML 5 Browser based Access
Expect it to use MS Silverlight for streaming via web browser.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

said by Happydude32:

said by JeffMD:

Interesting.

I had a feeling it would work. Congrats, circumventing things you're not supposed to be able to do is pretty fun
quote:
A Windows Desktop Application would Be A welcome Addition to the Portfolio of TV Viewing Option's. As well as an Online HTML 5 Browser based Access
Expect it to use MS Silverlight for streaming via web browser.

Oh I Hope your Wrong about that. By using HTML 5 I could Browse the in one tab while TV Access play's in background on another tab on the new iPad.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

I can almost guarantee that I’m not wrong. The TW live streaming via browser uses Silverlight. Considering 99% of what happens at TWC makes it’s way to BHN, it’s almost a given that when Brighthouse gets web based streaming it will be the same as Time Warner’s.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Click for full size
You Know Your Right !

TIME WARNER TA DA LOL
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

As the app says you must be behind your BHN modem. Here’s a sloppy work around for if/when BHN launches browser streaming.

Install the free TeamViewer app on your iPad, run the TeamViewer exe on your home PC. Using the credentials TV provides, log on to your home desktop via your tablet. Once connected you have your home desktop on your tablet. Launch your browser from home, and log on to the BHN streaming site. I’ve done this before with Time Warner and my Android tablet. Works perfectly, but your tablet must be connected to a pretty fast connection. I did it on Sprint’s wimax network a few times in the past. Again, not as clean and seamless as if you could streaming directly, but it does work.

Berniefl35
@bhn.net

Berniefl35

Anon

This bhn tv app is great for iPhone or iPad only if you are sitting on the toilet..I have a freaking tv in each room of my house,,what's the point of the app? Why is it only on the HOME NETWORK? Give me a break please!!! Anybody else agree,,, I want to watch my channels at the airport in the car or outside the house,,,comeonnnn.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Berniefl35 :

This bhn tv app is great for iPhone or iPad only if you are sitting on the toilet..I have a freaking tv in each room of my house,,what's the point of the app? Why is it only on the HOME NETWORK? Give me a break please!!! Anybody else agree,,, I want to watch my channels at the airport in the car or outside the house,,,comeonnnn.

Tell it to the content owners....we would love for you to be totally mobile trust me.

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

Beachie to Berniefl35

to Berniefl35
said by Berniefl35 :

I want to watch my channels at the airport in the car or outside the house,,,comeonnnn.

I'd really rather you didn't watch TV in the car...just sayin'.

Berniefl35
@31.7.62.x

Berniefl35

Anon

Well,, I don't mean while driving,, I mean as a passenger,, lol,, just venting guys,, it is kinda ridiculous though,, isn't it???
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten

Right now it is tied to wireless, so the car might be out of the question anyway. However, BHN is putting hotspots all over Tampa and Orlando. I can understand off of BHN, but other apps like HBO, MAX GO, ESPN only require your MyBrighthouse P/W (as does the BHN app as I recall) and they work everywhere. If this is a content owner decision, then I don't see why it must be tied to your home MAC address? Why not tie it to ANY BHN IP Address? Just as easy to check if the accessing IP Address is a BHN one as it is to lookup the MAC address one would think?

Alternatively, I suspect that NOT all channels 'care'? Since ESPN has its own app and you can access it anywhere, why not restrict those content owners that care to the BHN network and the others be available everywhere?

When I was trying to see if the problem I had was my iPad or not, I went to a friends house and discovered although we have BHN, I couldn't connect? Had to use his MyBrighthouse ID to test the iPad's.

Worse yet, our clubhouse is wireless BHN. I have to connect with a userID and P/W, and then all but that BH TV app will work, wish I could use it there too, but I can't. Just doesn't seem right that if I'm on the BHN that I can't? Are they worried I'd start showing TV programs I get, like HBO, using Apple TV, to show to other residents? Just doesn't make sense.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Berniefl35

Premium Member

to Berniefl35
said by Berniefl35 :

you're in the wrong forum, you want a slingbox.

I disagree with you. this app is useful for what it is. I have a tv in every room as well, but sometimes I like to live on the wild side and fire up the iPad and watch another channel. Or watch in the kitchen. Or on the patio. And yes, even on the toilet. If i'm away from home I have DVR service to watch it later.

Berniefl35
@bhn.net

Berniefl35

Anon

Unfortunately about 99% of people agree with me,,have you read the reviews/comments on the iTunes AppStore for this app?,everybody wants this app to be used outside of their house/home network ,,who watches tv on a patio anyways when you can watch it on a 60 inch + tv,,,Lol,, people want to watch their premium/movie Channels that they pay for away from home,,,hotel room,airport,clubhouse,,etc,,,,Just sayin
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Berniefl35 :

Unfortunately about 99% of people agree with me,,have you read the reviews/comments on the iTunes AppStore for this app?,everybody wants this app to be used outside of their house/home network ,,who watches tv on a patio anyways when you can watch it on a 60 inch + tv,,,Lol,, people want to watch their premium/movie Channels that they pay for away from home,,,hotel room,airport,clubhouse,,etc,,,,Just sayin

Then take your beef and tell it to the folks in control of the content....the content owners. We can only do so much...you want it faster...there is where you start .... just sayin
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

Gary, of course I'm not privy to the contract or contracts you have with the 'content owners' but I don't see the rational here?

ESPN, HBO, and MAX GO don't care where I use it, as long as I am a subscriber. What is different with the other content owners (ESPN, HBO, and CineMax being ones on BHTV too)?

What it the difference to them if I get it via my MAC addresses modem or another one? If were to use the SAME MYBRIGHTHOUSE ID to access BHTV, Why should they care where I am? Let the app pass my ID onto the delivery server and if my account is active, send the programming. Why should it care?

What is the difference from me Video Taping (VHS) and going to another house to play the tape? They don't seem to care or have anything that says I can't do that?

I just don't understand that logic.

As a BHN representative here can't you bring that message back to 'them' and maybe get a logical answer we might understand?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ispalten:

Gary, of course I'm not privy to the contract or contracts you have with the 'content owners' but I don't see the rational here?

ESPN, HBO, and MAX GO don't care where I use it, as long as I am a subscriber. What is different with the other content owners (ESPN, HBO, and CineMax being ones on BHTV too)?

What it the difference to them if I get it via my MAC addresses modem or another one? If were to use the SAME MYBRIGHTHOUSE ID to access BHTV, Why should they care where I am? Let the app pass my ID onto the delivery server and if my account is active, send the programming. Why should it care?

What is the difference from me Video Taping (VHS) and going to another house to play the tape? They don't seem to care or have anything that says I can't do that?

I just don't understand that logic.

As a BHN representative here can't you bring that message back to 'them' and maybe get a logical answer we might understand?

Irv please...each content owner has their own rules...we do nothing but rebroadcast the content. I'm not gonna argue with you folks about this. We would love for you to be able take it anywhere...but it isn't our content and we don't make the rules as to how it's viewed, recorded, rebroadcast and all the other things associated with.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
Perhaps a logical explanation is that they don't want one person to give out their login credentials to a bunch of their friends and have a dozen people who aren’t paying for the content piggyback off of one person who actually does.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Happydude32:

Perhaps a logical explanation is that they don't want one person to give out their login credentials to a bunch of their friends and have a dozen people who aren’t paying for the content piggyback off of one person who actually does.

Actually that's one of several I'm sure...again we don't make the rules there...we are just the method of transport and even then it comes with restrictions.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Berniefl35

Premium Member

to Berniefl35
said by Berniefl35 :

who is the 99%? Again, slingbox is the answer to this. it's not up to brighthouse anyway, as you've already been told. I like to watch tv on the patio, when i'm ready to go inside to watch tv (on a 50 inch) then I will. I dont want to watch tv way from home, because i'm away from home doing other things. i guarantee that if they even considered this you're going to pay more for it.

just sayin
pcdebb

1 edit

pcdebb to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
said by ispalten:

i betcha they do
said by berniefl85 :

,,have you read the reviews/comments on the iTunes AppStore for this app?,everybody wants this app to be used outside of their house/home network

I just did, and not "everybody" agrees. (most of the complaints are about it not loading)

This has a very simple solution, if you like it....GREAT, if not, uninstall, move on. Everyone seems to have the wrong idea about the true concept of the app
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

said by pcdebb:

said by ispalten:

i betcha they do

Have you tried them? Although only ESPN is 'live tv', and the other are not, all can be watched anywhere (where I've tried at least) there is a wi-fi (I only have an iPad wi-fi) connection, hotel room, daughter's house, airport, etc. As long as I've signed in with my Brighthouse MyServices ID and p/w they work.

I would assume they have the technology to tell when 2 or more people are using the same ID too and shutting someone out so multiple people can't use the same ID but it may not be the case because only one person 'owns' the BH bill and gets the MyServices ID, never tried making one for my wife for instance, but when I do open either app it shows as logged on most of the times, as sometimes I do have to log on.

In any case if I can use it anywhere, that is good.

berniefl35
@bhn.net

berniefl35

Anon

1% of the comments are about the app not loading and the other 99% are about the app only working on the "home network" as far as I remember dish network or directv has the ability to watch their tv shows anywhere,,im not sure if its one of them or both of them,,but as usual brighthouse and twc don't allow it,,,go figure....
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
said by ispalten:

said by pcdebb:

said by ispalten:

i betcha they do

Have you tried them? Although only ESPN is 'live tv', and the other are not, all can be watched anywhere (where I've tried at least) there is a wi-fi (I only have an iPad wi-fi) connection, hotel room, daughter's house, airport, etc. As long as I've signed in with my Brighthouse MyServices ID and p/w they work.

I would assume they have the technology to tell when 2 or more people are using the same ID too and shutting someone out so multiple people can't use the same ID but it may not be the case because only one person 'owns' the BH bill and gets the MyServices ID, never tried making one for my wife for instance, but when I do open either app it shows as logged on most of the times, as sometimes I do have to log on.

In any case if I can use it anywhere, that is good.

It's a bit more complicated than that. I have run through a ton of different methods for dealing with folks that cheat and none are entirely easy to implement. Eventually a solution will come though....that you can be sure of