uniqs
share rss forum feed

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Zoom 5341-J Telnet Access

Does anyone know the login/password for this modem?

It's not the same as for the WebGUI.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
Don't know, but here is the link to the hidden log page,if you don't already have it »192.168.100.1/RgEventLog.asp

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've got that one already, thanks.

I discovered the telnet port by port scanning the modem.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by graysonf:

I've got that one already, thanks.

I discovered the telnet port by port scanning the modem.

The telnet port may be open, but chances are that Comcast does indeed not only have super-secret authentication for accessing it, but there may be a built-in ACL that only permits logins from specific IP addresses.

I know that to be the case with the SMCD3G-CCR that is issued to business class customers. The D-Link DCM-202 that I used to use when I had a Comcast residential account would allow me telnet access when I first bought it, but as soon as Comcast uploaded their firmware and config files to it, I could still see port 23 open, but I could no longer get any actual response to a telnet session.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hard to know what the mechanism is, it fails, and after a few tries locks you out preventing a retry for a while.

Not important, probably nothing in there of any value to an end user.

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to graysonf
What is the GUI address for the Zoom? I had assumed it was 192.168.100.1 but that's not working, is it something else?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It's 192.168.100.1 on mine.

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Thats odd, it's not working on mine, just had it provisioned too.

Just tried it with Firefox (vs Chrome) and it's asking for user name and password. I recall something about this with Zoom modems but don't recall the default login.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to graysonf
Hit the recessed reset button on the rear and hold it in until you see the lights begin to cycle, then release. Now let it re-sync. Any better ?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to keenan424
I've read that it's only accessible for a short period while the modem is booting. But mine is always available even from behind a router.

There is also a public IPv4 address for it, but you have to get into it to see it.

Try power cycling the modem and immediately try to access it.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to keenan424
Username: admin
Password: password

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Thanks! Just found it as well.

Curious though as to why it won't even ask for login with Chrome.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to graysonf
Here is another access addy you can try. After you log in, this one will show another tab for access to the error / event log entries that normally can't be seen;

»192.168.100.1/RgEventLog.asp

If you are entering it manually in a browser address bar, note the capital letters being used.

[Edit]

Disregard. This info was already posted earlier in this thread.

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Thanks for that as well. Question, does the page itself display oddly? I have to scroll all the way to see anything. When I first accessed it looked as if nothing was there, just the header and the side boxes but the page was blank.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
Works and looks fine here using IE9 or Firefox 13. Chrome however will not render it.

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Yes, that's the problem I'm having as well. Anyway, since this is a Zoom 5341J thread, how do these numbers look?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Correctables/Uncorrectables is something I noticed. Mine were a lot worse when my line was very unstable due to old poor condition coax. When that was replaced those numbers went to zero and stayed there.

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Yes, up until this week I had been using a Moto 5101 which I was perfectly happy with, I was getting 25/4 speeds but it was starting to lose the connection, sometimes several times a day. Decided to get a rental from Comcast to see if indeed it was the modem going bad. Long story short, since using the Arris I haven't had a dropped connection, so I decided to get the Zoom and embrace DOCSIS 3, and yes, those numbers looked suspicious to me as well. I think it likely is old ragged coax as it hasn't been touched in over 7-8 years, probably need to coerce Comcast into installing a new RG11 run from the pole.

Something else I've noticed since using the Arris/Zoom, my upload speeds have been halved, from around 4 with the Moto to barely reaching 2, I'm not sure what's going on there.

Also, how do I tell how many channels are being bonded from that page? Surely it's not 8 as it seems to appear in the upper panel?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by keenan424:

Also, how do I tell how many channels are being bonded from that page? Surely it's not 8 as it seems to appear in the upper panel?

Apparently you are not the only one now seeing 8 bonded downstream channels: »[Signals] Evidence of 8 Downstream Channel Bonding - Post Here
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
reply to graysonf
Curious, I didn't think that was happening just yet, I'll put a post over in that thread in awhile. That's a heck of a chunk of bandwidth.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to keenan424
It really is eight bonded down. I get three bonded upstream.

My coax was some badly sun baked 20 year old RG59 and there were three splitters involved. Wouldn't stay connected.

I am now on new RG6 with one splitter.

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Yes, I have to figure out how to get them to do it without having to pay for it. If it's reasonable, no problem, but if were talking $100 or more that's a bit much.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
They said they weren't going to charge me to replace the line, and so far it's not on my bill I can see online.

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Yes, I just have to make the case that the signal levels, and errors are causing performance and connection problems, in other word, don't let them get away with a "good enough" attitude toward it.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
But is that true? Those numbers are pretty good.

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Well, those error numbers probably aren't helping things, and my upload has become quite anemic, not sure if that's related though.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
I just looked at mine after a week of being up after the new line was run in. I have numbers in the 3000-6000 range for Correctables and Uncorrectables.

Speed is fine:

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···7982.png

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
So maybe it's not really an issue, I don't know enough about this stuff to know one way or the other though. I know when uncorrectable errors show up in video streams such as cable TV it's certainly not a good thing and can be the cause of pixelation and other audio/video related anomalies.

We need an injection of knowledge here methinks.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
I'd say that so long as your connection stays up and the speed is about what you expected, then no worries.

I'm very satisfied so far. The only problem I can envision is how far I will have to downgrade when the promotional pricing runs out in six months.

keenan424

Santa Rosa, CA
Well you might get lucky, when I went from Blast down to Performance(16 to 12 download) they never re-provisioned my modem to the lower speed, I'm still getting the same speeds I was before the change in service.