share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Link Logger

Re: Largest-ever password study: We are all idiots

No, I meant what if Keepass has a problem? Password keeper/generator programs are as bad as AV at rendering your computer/passwords unusable. I trusted them years ago...got burned. I would never do that again (same problem with letting your browser keep track of your passwords...invariably there will be a bug that will keep you from your passwords or in some other way screw them up).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

said by Mele20:

No, I meant what if Keepass has a problem? Password keeper/generator programs are as bad as AV at rendering your computer/passwords unusable. I trusted them years ago...got burned. I would never do that again (same problem with letting your browser keep track of your passwords...invariably there will be a bug that will keep you from your passwords or in some other way screw them up).

Go to my backup, as all my systems are backed every night (thanks WHS).

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Ok. If you backup every night then Keepass is probably a good idea for you. Most folks don't backup that often if at all. It is a lot easier to just keep a paper file of your passwords and don't make them very complicated (except for banking ones).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 edit
reply to DrDrew

Good reminder on overlays. Funny that I'd forgotten about those even though I regularly call an area code that is an overlay. I've never used a phone number as a password, at least I don't recall ever doing that. That's info that can be obtained, even if the number is unlisted. It just doesn't sound like a good idea to use it as a password. Then again, it's probably easier to remember than most other kinds of passwords. I can still remember phone numbers I had 20 years ago. I guess I could use one now since it's not listed in my name anymore.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jadinolf

said by jadinolf:

One of my passwords is my Air Force Serial number.

Try and crack that puppy.

last time I checked, your AF (or any US Military) serial number is your social security number..

may want to reconsider using it.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to jabarnut

and your identities.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Ok. If you backup every night then Keepass is probably a good idea for you. Most folks don't backup that often if at all. It is a lot easier to just keep a paper file of your passwords and don't make them very complicated (except for banking ones).

Windows Home Server is one of the best things I ever added to my home network, nightly backups, shared drives, remote access etc, got to love it.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to pokesph

said by pokesph:

said by jadinolf:

last time I checked, your AF (or any US Military) serial number is your social security number..

Not for all of us

»www.archives.gov/st-louis/milita···ers.html

besides..what do you consider the problem to be even if it was a SS number? numbers are numbers.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
Sacramento, CA

Yes there are SNs for older vets and whatnot.. so I stand corrected.

Don't care so much that they numbers.. just most will know its likely your ssn if somewhat recent service.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

and then "they" would actually have to know your SS..

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Name Game:

and then "they" would actually have to know your SS..

no, they would have to just know you are ex-service member / vet

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

for a long time I tend to use passwords from my childhood..
plunkthemagictwanger was my favorite.

»michelesworld.net/dmm/frog/gremlin/plunk.htm

newer versions of Windows. Windows 2000 and XP passwords can now be up to 127 characters in length and so 14 characters is no longer a limit.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Simple Guy

join:2012-05-16
reply to pokesph

said by pokesph:

said by jadinolf:

Nah, not in back in the good old days of real men and no women on the front lines per se. All military personnel had a unique distinct serial number. You know when all a prisoner was required to give their name, rank and serial number. ;

Believe me no matter how old you are you never forget you're serial number.

Dates of change over were:

Army and Air Force, July 1, 1969
Navy and Marine Corps, January 1, 1972
Coast Guard, October 1, 1974

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to jabarnut

said by jabarnut:

I've tried using some fancy strong passwords in the past, but it seems no matter what I typed, they always came out like this:
So now I just use those to begin with...it's real easy to remember.

What does the password obfuscator change a string of periods to?

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

2 edits

Ya see, that's the thing. I don't have a clue. So I just use only the periods now. Maybe they turn into some super strong password that nobody could ever figure out? Not even me?
Anyway, I'm really tired of all this crazy totally complicated internet, account, "secure login", 'password stuff'. I just want to go the easiest possible way. My life is alreay complicated enough.
Even worse, is when they ask those silly "security questions". Yeah right, like I'm gonna somehow remember those?
So, I just use the periods now, and I figure I'm all set. Period.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.