MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to cramer

MVM

to cramer

Re: [ipv6] IPV6 advantage

It's not that large.

m0n0wall has IPSec and the released version fits into a 16MB CF easily. The next release beta needs more but still fit easily into 32MB.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Think "1MB flash" embedded devices. And the RAM required to actually run an IPv6 stack. Add those together and you have a long list of things out there that will absolutely never support IPv6. (and, btw, IPv6 ipsec is a lot more complex than a builtin https server.)

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Tell me about a few 1MB flash devices out there. m0n0wall with IPSec runs comfortably in 128MB of RAM, and if you had to have a 128MB stick of RAM you'd have to look on the surplus market.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

What part of "embedded devices" did you miss? I'm not talking about your laptop or desktop computers. I'm talking about purpose built, fixed configuration devices. There are thousands of linksys, netgear, dlink, etc. devices that have very little flash and ram -- pretty much everyone has at least one of these in their house... a cable modem, or a dsl modem/router. (only recently made one have or (maybe) will have v6 support.) Not to mention the millions of other various IP connected devices... print servers, tv's, alarm/security systems, power monitors/switches, etc., etc. So many things we completely forget about many of them.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 recommendation

rchandra

Premium Member

Thing is, when users of those devices realize the marginal utility of continuing to operate them, they will get "kicked to the curb"....much like many of the CRT and NTSC televisions are these days. Hardly a trash pickup day goes by on which I'm driving that I don't see at least one CRT-based TV set out for pickup. It's sad to see that kind of electronics waste, but with the ATSC transition, it was nearly inevitable.