Grayson Peddie
join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

2 edits

GraysonPeddi

List of ISPs in Zip Code 77057

I'm planning to move to Houston in about 18 months with my family due to walk score of 80 or above and I would like to know what Internet Service Providers are available. I have no need of TV service as I'm not paying for that. Instead, I would rather use my antenna:

KETH-DT 14.1 TBN
RF Channel: 24
11 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KFTH-DT 67.1 TFA
RF Channel: 36
11 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KHOU-DT 11.1 CBS
RF Channel: 11
12 miles at 184° VHF
Yellow
KIAH-DT 39.1 CW
RF Channel: 38
11 miles at 184° UHF
Yellow
KLTJ-DT 22.1 DAY
RF Channel: 23
11 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KPRC-DT 2.1 NBC
RF Channel: 35
11 miles at 184° UHF
Yellow
KPXB-DT 49.1 ION
RF Channel: 32
11 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KRIV-DT 26.1 FOX
RF Channel: 26
11 miles at 182° UHF
Yellow
KTBU-DT 55.1 IND
RF Channel: 42
12 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KTMD-DT 47.1 TEL
RF Channel: 48
11 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KTRK-DT 13.1 ABC
RF Channel: 13
11 miles at 182° VHF
Yellow
KTXH-DT 20.1 MNT
RF Channel: 19
12 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KUBE-DT 57.1 IND
RF Channel: 41
11 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KUHT-DT 8.1 PBS
RF Channel: 8
11 miles at 182° VHF
Yellow
KXLN-DT 45.1 UNI
RF Channel: 45
12 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KYAZ-DT 51.1 IND
RF Channel: 47
12 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KZJL-DT 61.1 SAH
RF Channel: 44
12 miles at 187° UHF
Yellow
KBPX-LD 49.1 ION
RF Channel: 46
11 miles at 187° UHF
Red
KCVH-LD 30.1 IND
RF Channel: 30
12 miles at 187° UHF
Red
KDHU-LD 7.1 DAY
RF Channel: 7
11 miles at 187° VHF
Red
KHLM-LD 43.1 MMT
RF Channel: 43
12 miles at 187° UHF
Red
KUGB-CD 28 IND
RF Channel: 28
11 miles at 187° UHF
Red
KUVM-CD 34.2 RTV
RF Channel: 34
12 miles at 187° UHF
Red
KUVM-LD 40.1 AZA
RF Channel: 40
12 miles at 187° UHF
Red
KVQT-LD 21.1 IND
RF Channel: 21
11 miles at 187° UHF
Red
KVVV-LD 57.1 IND
RF Channel: 15
11 miles at 187° UHF
Red

I already have my own Asterisk PBX phone system with Anveo and CallCentric, so no phone service from cable companies and telcos.

Last, but not least, I I have my own server acting as a router as iptables are doing the work for me, so I'd like to minimize the use of provider-supplied router whenever possible.

In Tallahassee, I have to pay for TV service which is about $70 which is bundled with High Speed Internet. If I get rid of TV service, I won't save that much. Do Comcast do this with hundreds of other cities? I do like to watch Netflix and rent movies in HD 1080p (think Vudu).

The reason why I'm moving to Houston is because one of my loved one lived there and I've been to Houston like a very long time ago during Christmas times. I pretty much know Houston just a bit since it's a very large city, but I really like it there. When I came from Tallahassee and approach Houston, it made me smile as me and my family travels through a couple of thin overpasses and see some big buildings ahead of me. Houston, TX and Tallahassee, FL are in no comparison at all. This is in brief as I don't want to straddle too far off-topic unless if there are enough forum members who want me to get into more details. I really want to know what ISPs are available in zip code 77057 first.

Update: I found 1 review here:
»/allre ··· p=,77057

Looks like one reviewer is happy, but that's dated back to 2010. Any recommendations?

Update 2: Never mind. I have checked for the list of apartments and when I found something of interest, I've entered the address with random apartment number for AT&T U-Verse, and Max Plus Internet for $34.95/month for up to 12 months caught my interest, but I really want to know the regular price once the discount for new customer expires, if possible.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Really depends on specifcially where you are in that zip code but the main options are Comcast and AT&T U-Verse or DSL. Some apartment complexes in the area use alternate cable providers such as Wavevision, Yiginition, or Phonoscope instead of Comcast and/or AT&T.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

3 edits

GraysonPeddi

Interesting names. I'll have a look at the websites for the three companies you've listed.

How can I tell if some apartments offer alternatives to Comcast?

By the way, "Yiginition" should be "Ygnition."

Update: Ygnition is not for me as I don't plan to live in one of the apartments listed when choosing a location. As for WaveVision,

I'm wondering what the regular price of Internet service will be for current customers? It looks to me that I will not get Internet-only service. Or am I missing anything?

For Phonoscope, it looks like it's for businesses only as I don't see the list of prices there.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

You have to call and ask about internet only pricing probably. I have never personally dealt with them, but know people who have used them in the past and had internet only.

»www.phonoscopecable.com/

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 edit

r81984 to GraysonPeddi

Premium Member

to GraysonPeddi
The proprietary apartment cable and internet sucks at least with wave vision.
The base cable (no HD) is $100 a month. Over the last year when they were bought out my rate went from less than $60 to $100.
Their internet has some stupidly low cap like 50GB so that was a reason I did not get internet from them.
I just use OTA. OTA has all the basic channels and some extra movie channels + a bunch of spanish channels.

Find a location that has both ATT and Comcast for internet.

I had no idea what a walk score was, but your 80% did not make sense to me. I googled it and houston is listed as a 50% walk score.
»www.walkscore.com/TX/Houston
That makes sense as houston is spaced out with no good public transportation. It is no where near like Chicago or New York where you dont need car.
In houston you will need a car.

For houston neighborhoods:
Montrose - 82% (gay bar area)
Greenway/Upper Kirby - 78%
Midtown - 77%
Downtown - 76%
Greater Uptown - 64% (77057)

ATT Uverse may not play nice with your router.
I have had problems trying to assign my router the public IP address. All I can say is do not get a NVG510 modem if you get uverse.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi

You are thinking of a large city. You've got to be specific. Think about when you walk out of your apartment and in about 1/4 of the mile from your apartment, you'll approach restaurants, shopping centers, grocery stores, and any places you can think of.

For example, how about the apartment (Fountainview Lodge II) with a walk score of 85?

»www.walkscore.com/score/ ··· tx-77057

Montebello Gardens?

»www.walkscore.com/score/ ··· tx-77057

Or Greenway Gardens?

»www.walkscore.com/score/ ··· tx-77027

That's why I am going to be moving into an area with a walk score of 85.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about WaveVision. I'll go with AT&T U-Verse if I can since I only prefer an Internet-only service.