Click for full size
6000 sq ft
Click for full size
UPS wide
Click for full size
UPS close up
Click for full size
Distribution Transformer
I've been consuming the great threads from this forum for years and finally decided to share some pics of my own. this is the early stages of build out.. Can't say which company yet had to do some negotiation with my boss to get permission to post pics online

techguy2012

join:2012-05-17
Mundelein, IL

It looks nice, but an obvious sticking point for me is there are too many windows

wolfman2g1

join:2008-04-28
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah i know i don't like that either. installing shades and tinting the windows

techguy2012

Mundelein, IL
reply to wolfman2g1

How about tint the windows and build walls and drywall in-front of them?

wolfman2g1

Brooklyn, NY

Actually for technical reasons i do need some windows open.. that statement will make more sense in about a couple of weeks when I get the ok to reveal the name of the company. I hate being secretive like that but I promise the goods will be worth it.

But the reason the windows are there to begin with is because that building used to be a tire factory then it was a trade school for a while so it obviously wasn't constructed with this use in mind. we had to install a real hvac (2 actually).. our current temp space has the equivalent to window air conditioners. On tuesday when the outside temp went up to about 85 the data center got up to 101 degrees! had to power down every unused device i could find. needless to say i can't wait to move

techguy2012

Mundelein, IL
reply to wolfman2g1

Your windows are going to be competing with the air conditioning in that space too... unless... are you going to be putting solar panels in all the windows - I'd consider that exciting. Or what about humongous LED signage - also cool.

I'll just keep guessing amongst myself, until you tell us

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to wolfman2g1

A few points

1. Wrong forum (this is the home home office pic forum), you want the »Photos of Broadband gear I think.

2. Cool, I'd look to not just tinting the windows but getting double or tripple pane windows (and tinted)

3. For various reasons I'd make sure (if possible) that the HVAC systems could cool the wholle room if only one ws working (you know redundancy) and look into UVC and other things for the HVAC systems to maximize the cleanliness of the air. Also I'd look into a recirculate mode or some way to keep the fan going even when the set temp is reached (just incase it is) to keep the air moving.

4. I'm guessing its to late for this but I'd look into a raised floor

5. Over all I envy you for getting to work on setting up a nice sized data center.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to techguy2012

said by techguy2012:

Your windows are going to be competing with the air conditioning in that space too... unless... are you going to be putting solar panels in all the windows - I'd consider that exciting. Or what about humongous LED signage - also cool.

I'll just keep guessing amongst myself, until you tell us

You've made me think of a cool but expensive idea.

Replace those lights with LED panels, I know Leo laporte uses LED panels for the twit studio and they mentioned how nice it was because they're a lot cooler yet just as bright as normal studio lights.

I mention this because with those windows lowering the heat entering the room or being made without need (ie heat from non-POWER/Computer/Cooling loads) should be atempted to be lowered as much as possible.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to wolfman2g1

Looks like quite a space! Looking forward to more pics!

wolfman2g1

Brooklyn, NY
reply to wolfman2g1

This design is pretty much set. We are running out of capacity in the temp space so no more changes will be made. However this is only about half the space. The total floor space is about 15,000 sq ft. so minus the space for the new office, restrooms, storage etc. there is another 6,000 sq ft that we will build out next year and eventually we will do this again in a few more cities nationwide. I'm hoping that since we won't be in a rush for the next build outs we will have more time to do other designs, I've been pushing for the Open Commute model on future builds

morpheus6d9

join:2003-11-18
Allentown, PA
reply to wolfman2g1

love the layout i know the company i wont spill the beans ill let the OP do that

what type of servers will you be running and software if you dont mind

wolfman2g1

Brooklyn, NY

hmmm... Dell R610s, R410s and about 4 R210s

wolfman2g1

Brooklyn, NY
reply to wolfman2g1

Click for full size
80% of racks assembled and bolted together
Click for full size
PDUs installed and waiting for electricians
Click for full size
UPS online ( no load yet)
Click for full size
rectifier 50% installed
quick update on progress

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to wolfman2g1

Thanks for the photos. Keep them coming as it is always nice to see a build out in progress.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to wolfman2g1

looks good

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DarkLogix

You don't need whole panels. I was in a Facebook data center and their lighting is all LED, but the fittings they were in looked more like traditional lighting fixtures.

As you approached an area, the lights would come up in front of you and dim behind you.

Studios have been using fluorescent lighting for darn near a decade now. Those things don't put out a whole lot of heat.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well I've heard that people get hot under tv studio and movie studio lights

ether way the idea I was making was to lower any all heat not from servers.

wolfman2g1

Brooklyn, NY

The problem here is 1. This is our first data center and no one on the net ops team has ever built one from the ground up. 2. we have a strict deadline so we can't change anything now.

We are learning about a lot of things as we go and we are actually planning on creating a spec for all future data centers. We've been taking cues from the big guys like google and facebook and we are trying to incorporate as much of their conventions that we can at this stage in the game, like running the cooling at higher temps (75 -85 degrees) and labeling every cable. One of the biggest issues we came across is cable management, I personally suck at it so I don't have any real insight here, most of what I've been doing I've actually learned from the bbphotos and from this forum. What I've never really seen is how people deal with different types of cables, we have conventional cat 6, fiber bundles, jumpers and SFP+ cables, they all have their own intricacies so i haven't figured out a good way to manage them especially since some servers have both SFP+ and cat 6 and some switches have all three.

we've investigated also things such as raised floors however i think that one is still up in the air. or possibly ducting the a/c directly into the racks but that seems pretty expensive.

it's my personal goal and that of my boss to be able to start developing LEED certified installations within five years.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to wolfman2g1

All that money, yet none to consult expert designers.

Whoever thought a project like this could just be 'winged' is in for a surprise...

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN
reply to wolfman2g1

You need multiple trays. One for fiber, one for copper. As for cooling, raised floor is the way to go. AC push cold air down into the floor, vents in the bottom of the rack allow hot air to be push up.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to wolfman2g1

bbphotos? another forum or what?

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to wolfman2g1

You might want to go to www.hardforum.com and ask some there,as many have datacenter experience(either working or helping build one)

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
reply to wolfman2g1

Looks like Aereo place in Brooklyn
--
Semper Fi

TheMole

join:2001-12-06
USA

»www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/techn···ityn.www
--
(1) It's either 99¢ or $0.99; not .99¢ (2) It's "so MUCH fun" not "so fun"

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2

Thanks for posting that link. I always wondered where this build was headed and now it's easy to understand the open windows part of the build.

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

My Friend used to work there and I helped out when he was moving the equipment. That rectifier is a bitch to move.

I rather not discuss the cost cutting approach of the company but it's one of the reasons my friend left.
--
Semper Fi