voip suffering

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4

Re: [T-Mobile] 500ms avg ping times

What speeds? Lately I've been getting weird pings. I will download like 20Mb down yet pings will be 3000ms one second then 45ms the next. Almost like they don't prioritize pings.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

1 edit
Bandwidth not effected.

5-7mbps down
1-1.5mbps up

Fine for everything except voip.

I will be keeping an eye on this. If latency does not improve than my voip.ms will be rendered useless. An alternative plan or provider will have to be sought.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

Go into the network settings and try the following apn's. (Create a new one)
internet2.voicestream.com
internet3.voicestream.com or
wap.voicestream.com

Each one gives me different pings in different areas. (For example, the internet2 one gives me better pings in downtown chicago and nyc)
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA

3 edits
ping to google.com

epc.tmobile.com 380ms

internet2.voicestream.com 80ms

Didn't even think to try a different gateway. I played with these a while back to bypass throttling.

Thanks for the suggestion!

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Most of the new customers are all using the epc apn so my theory is that it gets loaded up pretty good and degraded while the other apn's sit idle.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to SysOp
said by SysOp:

ping to google.com

epc.tmobile.com 380ms

internet2.voicestream.com 80ms

Didn't even think to try a different gateway. I played with these a while back to bypass throttling.

Thanks for the suggestion!

One heads up using apn's other than the epc ones. Only the epc apn works while roaming. Internet2 apn and the rest will give you apn denied errors. Not that it matters. 3g and 4g roaming are throttled both up and down at around 60 kbps so your not going to be doing much voip on that!
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan