how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gaslad

join:2001-12-02
Toronto, ON

[Extreme Plus] Rogers Security Advisor is a Scam/Scareware

Rogers sent me an email, and advised me to run their "Security Advisor" scanner to determine if my PC was protected.
As one knowledgeable in internet security, I was curious, and ran it.

Results:

1) It advised me my XP system had no software firewall enabled. In fact, I have a perfectly good Outpost Pro FW up and running.

2) It advised me my anti-virus was not functioning properly, suggested definitions were not up-to-date, and that several AVs were installed. In fact I have only one AV installed (MSE), it is updated automatically, and is working well.

3) It advised me my spyware protection (SpywareBlaster) was not functioning properly, was not updated, and that multiple anti-spyware programs detected placed me at risk. In fact SWB is up-to-date, and the only real-time anti-malware program I use (MBAM Pro) is also up-to-date, working well, and conflicts with none of my defenses.

It then suggested I switch to Rogers Online Protection, available for only $5.99/month! This appears to be a security suite from "Radialpoint" (the same vendor that installed the "Security Advisor" scanner).

What a crock! My PCs are perfectly well protected, and have never been infected in over a decade. Shame on Rogers for promoting this fraudulent software.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

The great unwashed would get suckered into something like this and fork over their $6/month (with a 20yr contract of course, with no guarantees the price won;'t go up) to Robbers over this scam.

Radial point probably made the software and stand to make a few bucks on the deal.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to gaslad

Someone from Rogers once told me to never, under any circumstances, install any software that comes from Rogers. After all that I have read, I am glad that I took his advice!

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to gaslad

said by gaslad:

Rogers sent me an email, and advised me to run their "Security Advisor" scanner to determine if my PC was protected.
As one knowledgeable in internet security, I was curious, and ran it.

Installing a telecom's "security suite" is like asking the fox to guard the hen house.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

I believe Bell has used RadialPoint based "security" software, and they basically white list certain "spyware" and other garbage that they are in partnership with...