uniqs
share rss forum feed

Trooper
Premium
join:2005-05-18
USA

Wired Connection ion FiOS

Hi folks,

I am moving next Friday to a new home. My current home has Comcast which I need to cancel. Pretty sure my new home is already wired for FiOS.

My question is simple. Currently I have one wired computer that needs to be hooked up. I understand that with FiOS, you need to use Verizon's router. That said, I also understand that most times the router is located in the basement. Unfortunately, the wired pc will not be setup in the basement (its not finished etc).

Is it possible to get a Verizon tech to setup a wired connection upstairs or to have the router placed upstairs and not in the basement?

How exactly does this go down?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

Cheers.
--
This space for rent.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

The VZ router can be placed in any room where there is a coax connection.

Ronhel

join:2001-11-09
West Warwick, RI
reply to Trooper

You have the VZ tech put the router where you want it. He will run a wire to it and hook up your PC.
That's all part of the install. You don't need a connection there for him, his job is to get you up and running.

Trooper
Premium
USA
reply to Trooper

Thanks guys. Appreciate the response.

Cheers!
--
This space for rent.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to Ronhel

said by Ronhel:

He will run a wire to it and hook up your PC.

If there's not an existing connection in a room, VZ may change for running a new drop.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

askmehowikno

@verizon.net

nope they will run a new line to where you want it, helps if you assist going thru attics or thru walls

Trooper
Premium
USA

said by askmehowikno :

nope they will run a new line to where you want it, helps if you assist going thru attics or thru walls

They definitely did run a new line. It worked out great! Went though the wall like you said.

Another question. Not fully related but will start a new thread if need be. The wireless router they provided doe not send a strong enough signal to the other end of my house. Is there something that Verizon can do to increase the signal? Or am I on my own?

Looking for suggestions. Thanks again guys.
--
This space for rent.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

I would get a separate wireless access point and plug it into the Actiontec and then disable the wireless on the Actiontec.

I use an Airport Extreme, setup in bridge mode and it works great.

Trooper
Premium
USA
reply to Trooper

I live in a ranch style house now, so you see my dilemma. Setting up another ap in the house is a no go. Am I screwed here? Can Verizon do anything to help me out?
--
This space for rent.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

You can consider a higher gain antenna. The ActionTecs (at least the older ones, not sure about Rev. G or I) use Reverse Polarity SMA connectors on the antennas.

mking128

join:2005-08-10
College Point, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Trooper

Our new AT Rev.I Gigabit came equipped with dual hi-gain antenna, and its signal is fairly good. Can you relocate the router to a more "centered" location within the house - extend it via coaxial so that the wireless signal will give better coverage, and run a longer cat-5 or cat-5 cable to the PC.

I was going to setup an existing N router but picked up an inexpensive, old AT (Rev.A) router for a MOCA bridge for use downstairs in my nephew's room - his PC is hard wired plus his other half's laptop now has a 100% signal on her laptop - plus, they got the blue ray player hooked up - and it's very easy to manage the settings from any browser.

The only nice "problem" lately is that everyone that once ditched DSL for cable has now hop on the Fios wagon, and running new & slick hardware - it doesn't take much to figure out who's running what & their ISP, etc. Down the road, I might go up to 5.2 Ghz N band for channel relief, LOL.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to Trooper

said by Trooper:

Setting up another ap in the house is a no go.

You have a number of options for connecting a WAP in another part of the house (in order of preference):
1) cat5 (best)
2) MOCA bridge
3) Powerline networking
4) Wireless extender
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Trooper
Premium
USA
reply to Trooper

Well this home is a rental. There is no easy way to run cat 5. I cant and don't want cat 5 cable lying on the floor across rooms to achieve this.

So I guess does this leave my in a wireless repeater or extender category. If so, how do they work and are they easy to setup?
--
This space for rent.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Do you have a coax connection in the other end of the house? If so, option #2 is the best choice. See the link in my previous post for a description of what a MOCA bridge is and how they work. Plug and play. No setup needed.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

Powerline network adapters just plug in to an ordinary outlet. Connect one to your router. Connect the other to the WAP in the other end of the house. How well powerline adapters work depends on the condition of the wiring in your house.
--

Trooper
Premium
USA

I do have a coax connection (its being used for a tv in our bedroom) and is plugged into the Verizon Fios box. Can something be done with that to get wireless into that room and that end of our house? Not fully getting the whole MOCA bridge thing. Where do you even get one?
--
This space for rent.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Simply install a 1Ghz splitter on the coax in the bedroom. Connect one tap to the STB connect the other tap to the MOCA bridge.

coax===splitter+===STB===TV
+===MOCA bridge---cat5---WAP

You can get a used Actiontec on ebay for $10 or less.
Or you can get one of the plug and play bridges listed in the FAQ on Amazon.
»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_···A+bridge

--

Trooper
Premium
USA

said by More Fiber:

Simply install a 1Ghz splitter on the coax in the bedroom. Connect one tap to the STB connect the other tap to the MOCA bridge.

coax===splitter+===STB===TV
+===MOCA bridge---cat5---WAP

You can get a used Actiontec on ebay for $10 or less.
Or you can get one of the plug and play bridges listed in the FAQ on Amazon.
»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_···A+bridge

Thanks you have been very helpful. So I need the MOCA bridge AND a wireless access point? Any recommendations on a good one? Is any old splitter fine as well?

Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

--
This space for rent.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

As outlined in the FAQ I posted previously, there are two ways to accomplish a MOCA bridge.
1) You can buy a plug and play MOCA adapter such as the Actiontec ECB2200. Simply connect it and you're in business. These run about $80.
2) You can also use an additional Actiontec MI424WR router as a MOCA bridge. This approach requires a little bit of configuration of the second router. Instructions are in the same FAQ. A used Actiontec router can be had on ebay for less than $20.

As far as the splitter is concerned, make sure it is rated 1Ghz or better.
--

Trooper
Premium
USA

Can you recommend a splitter to use by chance? I will look around for the MOCA adapter. So the MOCA is also an access point of sorts? Or do I still need that as well.

Sorry for not posting in two months, family crises and people in the hospital etc. So my priorities have not been on fixing the internet.

Thanks again.
--
This space for rent.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Trooper:

Can you recommend a splitter to use by chance?

You can use any splitter that is raters 1Ghz or better.
said by Trooper:

So the MOCA is also an access point of sorts?

Not sure what you mean by access point. A simple MOCA adapter is a media converter. It converts ethernet frames on coax to ethernet frames on cat5 (and visa-versa). It does not contain a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

If you use a second Actiontec as a MOCA bridge as previously suggested in this thread, then the second Actiontec serves as:
•a MOCA bridge
•a 4 port switch
•a Wireless Access Point
--

Trooper
Premium
USA

What I want is to have internet at the other end of my house. The router is on one end, but need internet at the far end.

I have a set top box in my bedroom.

What I want to know (baby step it please) is exactly what I need and how to set that up in my bedroom so that I have internet (wifi) in the bedroom (and that end of our home).

I thought the MOCA is an access point?

So based upon this, what do I need? Links would be helpful.

Thanks.
--
This space for rent.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Trooper:

What I want to know (baby step it please) is exactly what I need and how to set that up in my bedroom so that I have internet (wifi) in the bedroom (and that end of our home).

There is simple and there is cheap.

Simple:
1) Pick up an ECB2200 on Amazon.
2) Get a 1Ghz splitter. Connect the coax from the wall in the bedroom to the splitter. Connect the STB to one tap on the splitter. Connect the ECB2200 to the other tap on the splitter.
3) Get a Wireless Access Point. Connect the WAP to the ethernet port on the ECB2200.
Done.

Cheap:
1) Pick up an Actiontec MI424WR router on ebay.
2) Connect the splitter per step 2 above.
3) Follow the instructions in part 2 of the following FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
Do not connect the router to the coax until instructed to do so in the FAQ.
--