spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fortuitous

@embarqhsd.net

[Embarq] Setting up Asus Black Diamond

I've had the same cruddy wireless router for years and recently it's started dying on me so I went online and bought the Asus Black Diamond (RT-N56U). My old router is the 2700HG-S. When I plugged in my new one-the Asus-it powered on but received absolutely no signal. I checked all cables, everything was fine. I called up Centurylink for help, but was told twice that routers and modems are the exact same thing and was just bounced around for a good hour from person to person to person until my phone died.

Now, I'm not terribly adept at networking, but do I need to pick up a new standalone modem? If not what could be the problem? If so, could somebody suggest something that should work well?

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
From what I can find, the 2700HG-S is a modem / router. The Asus is just a router and you need a modem in front of it set to bridging mode.
I am using a m-1000 modem in front of my router.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to Fortuitous
You have to configure the 2700HG-S into bridge mode so it acts as a standalone modem without routing/firewall/wireless functions.

This is documentation for the 2700HG-D, but should be pretty similar, »support.easystreet.com/internet- ··· rmat=pdf

Fortuitous

@embarqhsd.net
So I tried to set up my 2700HG-S into bridge mode but it lacked the options detailed in the guide you linked. I called up centurylink and they told me that the 2700HG-S isn't really made to be put into bridge mode. So I think I'm just going to go with the "get a real modem" approach. Does anybody know how I can get a modem that will work well?

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
I see what you mean now. I know some of the 2Wire modem/router combos will go into bridge mode if you reset it to factory defaults twice (in a row).

If that fails, just call CL again and ask them to send you a ZyXEL 660 or a Thomson ST516, just the standalone modem (since you're paying rental fees on it anyway). Or buy an inexpensive TP-Link modem, they're around $20-$25.