spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bandito

join:2003-01-23

Internet: Anyone else noticing Network times outs?

I've noticing my browsing being slowly off and now. It's generally when accessing web pages. I ran tracert and I see the second route typically times out. I used google.ca (173.194.79.94) as the ip address.

I've flush my dns cache, repaired the winsock, uninstalled network drives, tried different browsers, and of course, checked for malware. Nothing unusual is showing up.

Has anyone else noticed any anomolies?

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

Often, the 2nd hop will timeout.

I will infrequently get that my DNS stops resolving causing timeouts,

Restarting my DNS server fixes, but that won't be your issue...

kevinds

Calgary, AB
reply to Bandito

I should rephrase, restarting the DNS Server service, won't be your issue.

-Posted from my phone.

Bandito

yeah, i seen the second hop timing out and have been told that's "normal" but the problem seems to be [mainly] around google, but not always. can you try tracert 173.194.79.94 and see what you get?

SameProblem

@shawcable.net

I've noticed the same thing as well. I actually called them last weekend about it. No luck with them, no follow up call either.

I tried tracert www.google.ca and tracert 173.194.79.94 and both give me a consistent second hop timeout. Also consistent timeouts with any other site I try (yahoo, ew.com), although a tracert to google seems to also timeout further down in hops, but that shouldn't have anything to do with shaw.

On my support call with them last week, they had me unplug my router and connect direct to my cable modem, which then gave me a first hop timeout instead of a second hop timeout (obviously) so I'm pretty sure its a problem with the shaw equipment resolving to a server of theirs in my area. The shaw server I manage to connect to in my third (second with no router) hop is almost always 64.59.154.210. Sometimes my 3rd hop timeouts too.

A consistent tracert timeout between a shaw modem and a shaw server as normal? Doesn't seem normal to me! My bs detector is pinging. Wonder if there is anything that can be done from the modem to fix this. In the support call they had me power cycle it with no change. Perhaps I'll check if there's a reset button on the thing, but I think I'll call them first before I do it just in case. I doubt that would fix it anyway.

Good luck.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01

1 edit
reply to Bandito

said by Bandito:

yeah, i seen the second hop timing out and have been told that's "normal" but the problem seems to be [mainly] around google, but not always. can you try tracert 173.194.79.94 and see what you get?

The CMTS (first hop if no router, second hop if you have a router) has been designed not to respond to ICMP Echo traffic (used in traceroute). A lot of internet routers are also set to do this. This is common and nothing to worry about.

This is a common policy decision.

*Edit for accuracy.

ravenchilde

1 edit
reply to SameProblem

said by SameProblem :

they had me unplug my router and connect direct to my cable modem, which then gave me a first hop timeout instead of a second hop timeout (obviously) so I'm pretty sure its a problem with the shaw equipment resolving to a server of theirs in my area.

A consistent tracert timeout between a shaw modem and a shaw server as normal? Doesn't seem normal to me! My bs detector is pinging

Hi. This is completely normal low-prioritization of ICMP Echo packets in a router. Certain equipment prioritizes this as low, or has a policy set to discard the ICMP Echo requests. Commonly CMTS' and internet routers. There is no NEED to respond to a ICMP echo request, so if the router module has a higher priority task, such as forwarding a packet, it will simply not bother to respond to the ICMP echo packet. The internet was designed to allow for this. A lot of internet backbone routers will also not bother to respond to ICMP echo, for either efficiency, policy, or security purposes. ICMP Echo's can be used to create a reflected distributed denial of service attack. (rDDoS)

Terminology lesson: none of these middle HOPs is a "server", they will be routers. A server or client will typically always be your last hop on a traceroute.

I'm not sure why your BS detector if pinging, but feel free to ask my any other questions you may have about PINGing (or traceroute, which is an extension of PING).

*Edit for accuracy.

Bandito

I've noticed very very slow responses when clicking on any link when found via Google. Me thinks there is an issue with Google.

ravenchilde

said by Bandito:

I've noticed very very slow responses when clicking on any link when found via Google. Me thinks there is an issue with Google.

I've noticed this too, some sort of proxying link on google comes up and it sits a second before completing and passing through to the destination site. Part of their security/protection scanning?

kevinds

Calgary, AB

The delay, is a google page going between the google search, and the webpage.

Click-Tracking

Browsers usually don't report where a client goes after the page currently viewed.

If you are signed in, you can see the profile google built of 'you' age, interests, and items like that.

If you push 'Back' you will now often see the empty google page - especially if you open in New Tab

-Posted from my phone.

aisha

join:2011-12-15
Canada
reply to Bandito

I am also experiencing strange behavior. Every now and then -- at the very least, once every other day -- Firefox will throw a 'Server not found' error page. It lasts for 10-30 seconds and during this window I can't browse any pages. I'm not sure if this is related to Shaw, but I also noticed that it occasionally takes several refreshes to load pages; in particular, images often fail to load. Neither issue is really tied to Google for me. Both phenomena have been occurring for about 3-4 weeks now.

It's not like I changed anything recently either, so I'm not really sure where these hiccups are coming from if not from Shaw.

BB50 in North Vancouver.

Bandito

Interesting....I think we should all report this to Shaw. I noticed this lag is a lot less now since I went back to my 6 year old Dlink router.If I connect my new Retail Plus router (a POS), it happens within a day. I havent noticed this happening when connected directly to the modem, but it's not that often or long that I do so anyways.

@kevinds, where is this "tracking" you referred to?

kevinds

Calgary, AB

Google search for Shaw

»www.google.ca/

Search for shaw

»www.google.ca/#hl=en&output=sear···&bih=587

First link outside the advertising box - the click tracker

»www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&···QSH_BL9A

Which forwards to Shaw.ca

»www.shaw.ca/
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

aisha

Canada
reply to Bandito

said by Bandito:

Interesting....I think we should all report this to Shaw. I noticed this lag is a lot less now since I went back to my 6 year old Dlink router.If I connect my new Retail Plus router (a POS), it happens within a day. I havent noticed this happening when connected directly to the modem, but it's not that often or long that I do so anyways.

I have a Netgear router but it has been working fine for a pretty long time now. The timeouts have increased in frequency for me these last few days (several times yesterday actually). I think I'll start recording tracerts and the times at which they occur, but I hope they'll just go away.

Maybe ShawSean or someone can take a look.

ravenchilde

reply to Bandito

Some Home Routers have a DNS forwarding server in them. This means that when you DHCP the router tells your PC that the router is the DNS server. When you request a DNS->IP entry, you request from the router, it will then request from Shaw, and then the response will be relayed back. As most home routers aren't very powerful, or well programmed, these services can cause a lot of delay.

Try logging into your router and turning that feature off, or setting your DNS servers manually on your computer to google or Open DNS (or Shaw dns, or 4.4.4.4 or 8.8.4.4). These tests will tell you if that is the problem.

kevinds

Calgary, AB

1 edit

As I recall,

4.4.4.4 is not a DNS server,

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are Google's.

-Posted from my phone.

Edit: Confirmed with nslookup 4.4.4.4 is not a DNS server.

aisha

Canada
reply to Bandito

My WNDR4000 router doesn't seem to have a DNS forwarding server, or at least I can't find anything like that in its control panel. The only things related to DNS that I can find are Dynamic DNS (turned off) and to automatically get DNS addresses from Shaw (64.59.144.91 and 64.59.150.137).

When I try running a tracert to google.ca or any other website during one of the network timeouts, it immediately returns this result:

C:\Windows\system32>tracert google.ca
Unable to resolve target system name google.ca.

I get this result on all of the computers on my network which leads me to believe that my connection is briefly dropping and reconnecting. It's strange because during a timeout, the lights on my router and modem are normal and none of my operating systems complain that they lost their connection.

kevinds

Calgary, AB

What IPs do your computers have for the DNS server?

64.59.144.91 and 64.59.150.137
or 192.168.x.1?

Try pinging 64.59.144.91 and 64.59.150.137 next time it happens,
if ping is not successful, try pinging 8.8.8.8, if that works, set the DNS servers on your computer or router to 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

aisha

Canada

2 edits

My computers have their DNS servers as my router (192.168.1.1), which is set to receive DNS server addresses from Shaw. I believe that this is the default configuration.

I've been running PingPlotter for a few days and it hasn't registered anything abnormal at any of the hops to google.ca or whatever other address I have it monitor, but I thnk timeouts are too brief for it to detect them.

As for pinging manually, when I try to ping a website during a timeout this is what the output reads:

C:\Windows\system32>ping google.ca
Ping request could not find host google.ca. Please check the name and try again.

It's hard to issue a ping or tracert command during a timeout because they are so brief and random--I keep missing opportunities to ping Shaw's DNS servers during a timeout.

EDIT: During a timeout I can ping google.ca if I use its IP (173.194.79.94) as the destination.

ravenchilde

reply to kevinds

said by kevinds:

Edit: Confirmed with nslookup 4.4.4.4 is not a DNS server.

Sorry, I meant the legendary 4.2.2.2