spc
uniqs

omarak229
@teksavvy.com

omarak229 to No_Style

Anon

to No_Style

Re: [Cable] TekSavvy Won't Register My SB6121

I have a similar situation. I bought the 6121 from Newegg in December. I didn't know what firmware it was on then, but now it's on 1.0.5.1. The modem has been working perfectly up until a week ago, my internet slowed to a crawl for no apparent reason. I called in and as I was talking to him about the issue, it fixed itself, so I didn't think much of it. Fast forward to 2 nights ago, it came back with a vengeance. I called in and they said there was probably maintenance going on. It didn't fix itself by the time I went to bed.

The next afternoon my internet seemed to be working fine for a little bit before the problem came back. I called back and spoke to TSI Kyle, he told me to reset the modem to factory and restart the modem from the modem config, he also asked about the firmware and told me to update it, but there wasn't any real viable way to do it. He found a place to download the 1.0.6.1 update, but I didn't know what to do with it, since it wasn't any ordinary installation thing. He warned me that they're not responsible for any bricking etc etc.. The other option that he told me was to take the modem to someone's house who has Rogers and see if the update will push from there, but that would be a giant maybe.

It seemed to fix itself again, but the problem came back again a little later on. I tried resetting factory defaults and restarting the modem, but that only made it worse, as the modem couldn't even pick up a signal after it restarted. I called and they told me again to update the firmware. Even right now I still have the issue, it takes for-freaking-ever to load websites

What I'm really wondering is that how could it be a firmware issue if it's been working since I got it in December?

Or is this an entirely different problem and I should make a separate thread for it?

Anon user
@teksavvy.com

Anon user

Anon

TSI Kyle asked you to update the firmware? Looks like someone needs some choaching.

Cable modems are not user upgradable, possibly illegal. Definetly gray area.

I have looked into it, and I'm just not comfortable soldering a jtag to the modem. Currently with no problems on 1.0.5.

TSI should be doing a trade up program for this modem the same as the tompsons with bad firmware.

I would like to here TSI on this matter. TSI Marc?

omarak2229
@teksavvy.com

omarak2229

Anon

if you're having no problems on 1.0.5, wouldn't that rule out the firmware problem? It's a line issue then right? I never had this problem up until recently so it really doesn't make sense for it to be a firmware issue.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to omarak229

Premium Member

to omarak229
said by omarak229 :

The next afternoon my internet seemed to be working fine for a little bit before the problem came back. I called back and spoke to TSI Kyle, he told me to reset the modem to factory and restart the modem from the modem config, he also asked about the firmware and told me to update it, but there wasn't any real viable way to do it. He found a place to download the 1.0.6.1 update, but I didn't know what to do with it, since it wasn't any ordinary installation thing. He warned me that they're not responsible for any bricking etc etc.. The other option that he told me was to take the modem to someone's house who has Rogers and see if the update will push from there, but that would be a giant maybe.

Cable modem firmware is not end user upgradable. You need special equipment. I have that special equipment, and I perform the upgrades for $10 (more as a favour to dslreports users than as a profit centre).

Nonetheless, it would be great if you could post the link where the firmware was found. I'd like to know what people are being told.
said by omarak229 :

I called and they told me again to update the firmware.

It is really outrageous that Teksavvy is giving this instruction, see above.
said by omarak229 :

What I'm really wondering is that how could it be a firmware issue if it's been working since I got it in December?

It isn't a firmware issue. The problem is, Rogers may blame the firmware because that way they can get out of fixing it properly, and it makes Teksavvy look bad.

However, you aren't giving us nearly the information we need to diagnose your problem. Two pieces of information of enormous importance are missing from your comment...

1) Your reporting on speed is useless without also referencing time of day. If you get good speeds when you wake up in the morning, but bad speeds in the evenings, you are almost certainly suffering from some form of congestion.

2) You have to post your signal levels. Downstream power, downstream SNR, and upstream power for all channels you are connecting to.
said by omarak229 :

Or is this an entirely different problem and I should make a separate thread for it?

Heh.. Maybe. However, if they are telling you firmware is an issue, that's pretty much related

Other entirely different problems that probably need their own thread... I swore up and down that I wouldn't bother putting this much effort into helping 'stranger' customers any more, but here I am.....
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits

the cerberus to omarak229

to omarak229
said by omarak229 :

I have a similar situation. I bought the 6121 from Newegg in December. I didn't know what firmware it was on then, but now it's on 1.0.5.1. The modem has been working perfectly up until a week ago, my internet slowed to a crawl for no apparent reason. I called in and as I was talking to him about the issue, it fixed itself, so I didn't think much of it. Fast forward to 2 nights ago, it came back with a vengeance. I called in and they said there was probably maintenance going on. It didn't fix itself by the time I went to bed.

It seemed to fix itself again, but the problem came back again a little later on. I tried resetting factory defaults and restarting the modem, but that only made it worse, as the modem couldn't even pick up a signal after it restarted. I called and they told me again to update the firmware. Even right now I still have the issue, it takes for-freaking-ever to load websites

said by Anon user :

I have looked into it, and I'm just not comfortable soldering a jtag to the modem. Currently with no problems on 1.0.5.

TSI should be doing a trade up program for this modem the same as the tompsons with bad firmware.

I would like to here TSI on this matter. TSI Marc?

The firmware isnt bad, omarak229 was experiencing an unrelated issue and the untrained rep blamed it on his firmware not being "officially supported", in reality this was unlikely to be the problem.
initially his problem was a congestion issue, he then factory reset his modem and didnt have the patience to allow it to sync.
the fact that he is back online by the end of the ordeal proves it unrelated to sync ie the modem (or its firmware).
congestion issues are not related to a modem, this rep was wrong to question it, but simply put, if he lied and said he had it, the rep would be blaming the correct congestion issue.
Alternatively omarak229 could have said, OK if the firmware is the problem, get Rogers to push the update to me like you did every other user........ but the firmware wasnt the problem though......

Cable modem firmware attitude is simple, if its not broken, dont update.