spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mahohmei

join:2008-10-29

[Cable Card] CableCARD - HD channels not authorized

Up until last week, we had a SD STB (Motorola DCT2000) kludged into a TiVo Series2 in the living room, and a DTA in the bedroom--Digital Starter with no HD.

We just got a TiVo Premiere to replace the Series2, so I turned in the DCT2000 and got a CableCARD. We asked for HD on the CableCARD and for Digital Preferred. I was told that the bedroom TV's DTA will only work with the Digital Starter package, but I decided against paying $9.95/mo for a HD STB for a TV that doesn't get as much action as the living room TV

I installed the CableCARD into the TiVo Premiere, set up the TiVo, called Comcast to have the card activated, and was told to give it about an hour for the Digital Preferred package and HD activated on the CableCARD.

Well, here we are, two days later, and all we can get on the TiVo are the Digital Starter SD channels that we were getting with the DCT2000. As Comcast's CableCARD phone people claimed they've activated Digital Preferred with HD, a tech is coming to our house Tuesday morning to look at it.

My questions:

- Has anyone else experienced this problem?
- What will the tech discover/do to get it to work?
- There's a NTSC channel 14 trap in the street box--when we moved here in 2008, that was used to trap HBO from our house, since we didn't pay for it. Could this be the issue?
- Comcast is charging me $9.95/mo for the CableCARD with HD, which is the same I'd be paying for a Comcast-supplied HD STB. Per »www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-kno···r-rights, am I entitled to a discounted rate for the CableCARD since I'm bringing my own box?

Thanks!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
wow a ANALOG HBO trap in 2008. That may be blocking stuff and with analog cable going way they need to get rid of it.

But it seems like you card did not get hit with the HD and Preferred codes.

$9.95/mo for the CableCARD with HD may be the HD fee. now 1 oultet / box is part of the base fee but you should be getting $2-$3 off for not having a BOX and just a cable card.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to mahohmei
Yeah sounds like the trap is blocking some frequency's that are required.

Dee_T

@comcast.net
reply to mahohmei
I have 2 cable cards with 2 TiVOs. One of which is a premier.

I get all channels, including all HD without a problem.
I've never had a problem with the cable cards, but I didn't install them myself.

Good luck, hopefully the tech can get you up and running.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
I've also been using a Premiere with a cablecard and haven't had any issues after it was setup. It's honestly going to be an issue with getting it paired up with the TiVo and the correct authorizations on the card. Sometimes it's because an installer doesn't have as much experience with cablecards then they do with the set top boxes, othertimes it's the fault of the tech on the phone with the installer who doesn't know very well how to put the information into the system on the account. These issues are very very rare though.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to mahohmei
said by mahohmei:

- Comcast is charging me $9.95/mo for the CableCARD with HD, which is the same I'd be paying for a Comcast-supplied HD STB. Per »www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-kno···r-rights, am I entitled to a discounted rate for the CableCARD since I'm bringing my own box?

If you have no other boxes in the house, the card should be free (included with service). DTAs don't count as a box for this.

But they may be trying to rip you off for the bogus 'HD Tech fee' that only a few areas get. Tell us what the charge says on the bill.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
well the card is free but also the first full box is free as well so you should being getting $2-$3 off for not having a box.

But the HD fee is for HD channels and is flat for all boxes.

Now some areas make you have it to get HD on cable cards as well. In the past some area had a HD cable card fee (I think per card) back in the time where HD boxes cost more to rent then the SD boxes.

GTFan

Yep, and the Comcast merry-go-round continues. Why some areas have this bogus HD tech fee and others don't is beyond me, Comcast's own website used to say that you don't pay extra for HD.

We don't have that BS in the ATL, but in return we get all of the usual money grabs like A/O fees for cards. Every other cableCo charges a flat rental for each card, but not Comcast. They have to screw up everyone for card billing, every time.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
said by GTFan:

Yep, and the Comcast merry-go-round continues. Why some areas have this bogus HD tech fee and others don't is beyond me, Comcast's own website used to say that you don't pay extra for HD.

that was before they put in a flat HD Fee.

and that was to say unlike satellite we have NO HD FEE*

*HD boxes used to cost more to rent then a SD box.

GTFan

The point is that the fee is only applied in a few areas if you have Cablecards, which makes no sense. Just like most of Comcast's other billing for cards.