This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

wxboss

Premium Member

Linksys WRT54GL DNS Help

Pic 2
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL router and using OpenDNS. After recently making the DNS server changes on my router, I've received periodic notifications from the DNS Updater that I'm not connected to them. I rechecked my router settings and it shows that I have their DNS addresses programmed into the router (see Pic 1).

However, when I check the router status, I see a 3rd DNS address which I didn't add (see Pic 2). I'm thinking this might be the reason why I'm having sporadic OpenDNS disconnect issues.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on removing the third DNS address or any other options that would help me fix my OpenDNS problem.

Thanks!
techguy2012
join:2012-05-17
Mundelein, IL

2 recommendations

techguy2012

Yes, even though the first 2 DNS servers are available, workstations (especially Windows) will inexplicably start using the 3rd. If you leave the 3rd field blank, Linksys will attempt to be helpful and populate the 3rd from the DHCP lease of the WAN interface.

If you must use OpenDNS, they do provide 4 IPs for this reason...

Verify: »www.opendns.com/support/ ··· icle/115

Since you have a WRT54GL, why not load »www.polarcloud.com/tomato on it, then it will only hand out the DNS servers you have specified. Since OpenDNS is already multi-cast and load balanced, you really only need to use 1 of their IPs - there is no advantage in using multiple.

wxboss
Premium Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

wxboss

Premium Member

Thanks techguy2012 See Profile, that info is most helpful!

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv to wxboss

to wxboss
Do you have their updater utility installed on one of your computers or is there an option in your router that will communicate with them?

wxboss
Premium Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

wxboss

Premium Member

I have the updater installed and it was notifying me when I wasn't using their service. However, once I updated my router with the additional DNS addresses, the problem ceased.