spc
Search similar:

uniqs

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

[CFL] 50/5 Business Class

Does anyone know the pricing structure for the 50/5 internet service offered in the CFL area?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

Does anyone know the pricing structure for the 50/5 internet service offered in the CFL area?

Sorry... Business service prices are based on a number of things including duration of your agreement. In this case you will need to call into the business solutions group tomorrow morning.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

I'm curious why BHN doesn't publish business class pricing. I asked the rep and he gave me the sheet, which was a textbook case of straightforward-- pricing for each tier based on month-to-month, and terms of 12, 24, or 36 months.

So simple, even a Packers fan could understand it.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy

said by rebus9:

I'm curious why BHN doesn't publish business class pricing. I asked the rep and he gave me the sheet, which was a textbook case of straightforward-- pricing for each tier based on month-to-month, and terms of 12, 24, or 36 months.

LOL
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

Needless to say Rebus you already have an account rep, he doesn't. Residential service is a considerably different beast from the account mangement perspective. Lets get him a rep first shall we...

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by BHNtechXpert:

Needless to say Rebus you already have an account rep, he doesn't. Residential service is a considerably different beast from the account mangement perspective. Lets get him a rep first shall we...

Pretend for a moment that I'm not yet a customer. Looking at it from a customer service viewpoint, I am turned off when I go to a vendor's website and am told to call in order to get pricing.

There are many ISPs who publish pricing, with and without bundled services. Someone could parachute in from Mars, hit Verizon's website (for example) and get the whole picture-- costs with or without term committments, with or without static IP, with and without phone service bundled in, etc. A couple dropdown menus and checkboxes drive the selections quite effectively, and the (potential) customer comes away well-informed very quickly. No phone trees, no holding queues, no hassles with a salesperson.

Again, this is not to stick pins in BHN's doll. This is simply a reminder that in the 21st century, people do not want to be forced to pick up a telephone and talk to a salesperson to get a price. I run across that all the time-- as recently as Friday. Client needed a particular software package for a medical/clinical environment. I went to the vendor's website, discovered it was only sold through channel partners, visited several partner websites, and promptly browsed away from any who did not list pricing. The vendor which made all that info available online got the account.... around $30,000 for the software, plus on-site training.

Point is, I didn't make the decision on price alone. It was based on "which vendor made it easiest to get information".

BHN has such great call-in customer service, it's a shame their website treats basic pricing info like a state secret. That may not put off everybody, but I know I'm not the only one frustrated by it.

It's one thing if everybody pays a different rate based on their negotiating skills. It's another if the pricing is a fixed matrix, varying only due to bundled elements and length of term committment.

LivoniaMI
@comcastbusiness.net

LivoniaMI

Anon

Well said rebus9... Same thing up here in MI - no pricing avail unless you call in. Makes it hard to compare different scenarios without calling in repeatedly to the rep.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to steelingbox

to steelingbox
rebus, I probably don't have to pretend that you are not a business owner. They pretty much have to draw up a custom contract for each business plan detailing things like amount of bandwidth to use (gb per month. Hosting services do NOT get unlimited rates!), number of IPs needed, tech support premiums (consumer support windows are 24-48 hours, a business would need an issues resolved in 1-2 hours), network installation and assistance for companies without IT departments, and also the length of service for the contract.

There is a lot of money in business contracts... not to mention there is a lot of room for both sides to talk about pricing, THIS is why prices are not set in stone on some website.

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

Well I was a previous BHN business customer and was paying 69.95 for something dubbed "teleworker" but I dont see any mention of this on their website. I also didnt have to commit to any type of contract for the above mentioned package nor would I consider doing so in the future.
I guess my next question would be, since the prices are secret, who has a 50/5 connection, 1 static ip address, no contractual commitment, and what is the monthly price? For that matter anyone in the CFL area who has a Business broadband connection, no matter what the speed, with the previously mentioned configuration.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

Well I was a previous BHN business customer and was paying 69.95 for something dubbed "teleworker" but I dont see any mention of this on their website. I also didnt have to commit to any type of contract for the above mentioned package nor would I consider doing so in the future.
I guess my next question would be, since the prices are secret, who has a 50/5 connection, 1 static ip address, no contractual commitment, and what is the monthly price? For that matter anyone in the CFL area who has a Business broadband connection, no matter what the speed, with the previously mentioned configuration.

The tele-worker program is a blended Business/Residential service and differs from Business Solutions. I know it's kind of confusing but it's designed for those folks who work from home and need specifics like static IP but no additional business services.

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

Is the "tele-worker" package still available or has it been discontinued?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

Is the "tele-worker" package still available or has it been discontinued?

I confess I don't have the answer at the moment,..part of me wants to say no but rather than further confuse things I will verify in the morning and post back. Sorry...I don't normally leave people hangin like this but I want to give you correct info.

rebus9
Tampa Bay

1 recommendation

rebus9 to JeffMD

to JeffMD
said by JeffMD:

rebus, I probably don't have to pretend that you are not a business owner.

I'm not only very much a business owner, but a 29 year veteran of the I.T. industry. Much of my work is at the datacenter level, but I'm also involved at "street level" building multipoint VPN meshes for large clients with a dozen (or more) locations using commodity broadband. So yes, I select and order these products regularly-- I don't just talk ignorantly about them.

Basically, I buy everything from DSL to cable to FIOS, all the way up to carrier circuits at the DC. I'm just as comfortable ording a 50/5 Road Runner circuit, as a Gig-E circuit from {insert your favorite global carrier here}.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to steelingbox

Premium Member

to steelingbox
And to add to that Rebus is not only a highly valued technical asset to this community he's also BHN business customer. He knows his stuff....we disagree and like to get into hot topics together but let there be no mistake about it....Rebus is a good guy and definitely one of our friends

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by BHNtechXpert:

And to add to that Rebus is not only a highly valued technical asset to this community he's also BHN business customer. He knows his stuff....we disagree and like to get into hot topics together but let there be no mistake about it....Rebus is a good guy and definitely one of our friends

I'm flattered.

I thought you were a better judge of character, but then you go and say something nice about me and it makes me wonder....

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

Rebus,
If your a brighthouse business customer... care to share what type of package you subscribe to?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I'm flattered.

I thought you were a better judge of character, but then you go and say something nice about me and it makes me wonder....

LOL you caught me at a moment of weakness....:) I'm beat down tired and very much looking forward to my vacation starting on Saturday.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to steelingbox

Premium Member

to steelingbox
said by steelingbox:

Rebus,
If your a brighthouse business customer... care to share what type of package you subscribe to?

Oh now ya did it....hope you have a good pen and lots of time.... I understated his customer status a bit

bhnbussol
@bhn.net

bhnbussol

Anon

the soho/tele worker/evp accounts are no longer available. you would need a second account if you have a business at your home to get 50x5 or static ips etc now. bhn now offers dedicated staff that only caters to business customers and are trained and familiar with business class services, equipment etc.

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to steelingbox

to steelingbox
said by steelingbox:

Rebus,

I have client locations on Economy (3/384), 18/2 and 50/5.

One of the projects I'm currently working on is a VPN mesh for a client with 12 (soon to be 14) locations. This is to replace an aging and ridiculously expensive vendor-managed MPLS cloud. The locations at 3/384 will be upgraded to 10/1 once the new corporate-wide VOIP phone system is delivered.

We're putting in Road Runner and {another carrier} at every location for redundancy, and using tunnels with {dynamic routing protocol} for best-path selection and failover. Hardware platform is the Juniper SRX 210, 220, and 240, depending on location.
rebus9

rebus9 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by steelingbox:

Rebus,

Oh now ya did it....hope you have a good pen and lots of time.... I understated his customer status a bit

I tried to keep it short...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by rebus9:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by steelingbox:

Rebus,

I tried to keep it short...

Wow I'm impressed

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

LOL you caught me at a moment of weakness....:) I'm beat down tired and very much looking forward to my vacation starting on Saturday.

Va--ca--tion.... sorry, I'm not familiar with that term.

(Haven't taken one in 12 years, and burnout is starting to set in. So props to you for being able to "just say no" to being a workaholic.)
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by rebus9:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Va--ca--tion.... sorry, I'm not familiar with that term.

(Haven't taken one in 12 years, and burnout is starting to set in. So props to you for being able to "just say no" to being a workaholic.)

Seriously buddy I give you guys here and elsewhere everything I have and then a whole bunch of work goodness as assigned and I truly love it but...it's time to head for the hills literally. A week plus will give me that much needed energy back so I can focus on some important stuff coming soon . I'll be checking in but limited Internet access will keep it tempered and I have a good BHN friend who will be filling in....more on this later in the week.

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

Well instead of calling I filled out a "contact me" forum on 6-6 Wednesday and sadly no one has contacted me as of yet. I guess I will give them a call first thing Monday.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

Well instead of calling I filled out a "contact me" forum on 6-6 Wednesday and sadly no one has contacted me as of yet. I guess I will give them a call first thing Monday.

Curious... why didn't you just call? I understand the contact form thing but these folks are there for you every day and can instantly answer your questions.

w8sdz
join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL

1 edit

w8sdz to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

The tele-worker program is a blended Business/Residential service and differs from Business Solutions. I know it's kind of confusing but it's designed for those folks who work from home and need specifics like static IP but no additional business services.

I have this service. It is $64.95/month (for those who asked). It is 15Mbps Down / 1.5 Mbps Up. I have one Internet-routable static ipv4 address. I have DNS, FTP, Web and Mail servers (all are allowed).

Brighthouse is missing a good bet by not listing this option on their Residential cable modem service page. A new customer might jump at the chance to sign up for the tele-worker plan if that's what they really need. I know I would have, but I didn't know until it was available until two years later when I asked customer service.

steelingbox
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

This plan is no longer being offered at least thats what I was told by a BHN customer service rep.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

This plan is no longer being offered at least thats what I was told by a BHN customer service rep.

You mean the tele-worker....correct.

w8sdz
join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL

w8sdz

In my earlier posting I said I had the tele-worker plan. I was mistaken.

I have the Ultimate/Extreme Value Package. This is a 15/2 (non powerboost) Business Class connection (with Business SLA) with 1 static IP. For this level of service I pay a total of $64.95 plus $10 for static IP reverse lookup DNS.

I hope that Brighthouse will make it easier to find this package on their web pages. It's a great alternative for Telecommuters and small business sites that wish to run their own servers.