uniqs
share rss forum feed

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA
reply to Melissa2009B

Re: [Speed] May have to switch to Comcast

said by Melissa2009B:

I just tried a reset, realizing that this thing has battery backup so I had to use a toothpick on the reset button in the hole on top in the back.

Do you have an Ethernet cable to plug your laptop directly into the router for testing? That would eliminate the wi-fi as a possible issue.

Melissa2009B

join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO
I rebooted the gateway and so far so good. ( keeping fingers crossed ) I'll remember that from now on. Thanks!

keason
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

Comcast Business service is much better

Support with business service has longer hours and faster response. I've had 3 or 4 outages and they have been repaired next day latest. Service is better than my old "T1 guaranteed 4hr response time" service. Techs are more senior too.

Residential response time when I had it was 1 or 2 days longer.

For your 800/simultaneous/phone ring service, you might check out Voip.ms. Rates are competitive and the interface is extremely flexible. They have an amazing array of features and call quality is excellent with Comcast HSI. It's cheaper than Comcast phone if you use 4000 min per mo outbound (0.5c-1c/min) and 3500 min inbound $7/mo max for 3500 min, or 1-1.5c/min). Like most of the VoIP services, they don't have oddball charges.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

1 edit
Since this was setup, we've had problems every time we turn the two PC Win 7 computers on each day. It's like they have to be messed with for 10-15 minutes a day to get them working with the Comcast gateway. They each have different wireless usb adapters in them, and even though I set up the Windows networking stuff to connect automatically, they don't, every day. I called Comcast support just now and they said that because the two Roku boxes are working it's "not their problem".

So I have to figure this out on my own now. I'm sort of an intermediate person, with my PC networking setup experience. But when I open the network and sharing center, I keep getting signs that the adapters arent even seeing the Comcast network, then I have to mess with the drivers software some and put in the big long numerical keys all over again, and the adapters finally see the networks out there ( ours and others ).

Then I have to mess with the network and sharing center stuff to get it to automatically connect again, while something in there keeps removing our network in the setup and I have to keep putting it back and putting in the fricking numbers until it finally works, only to be repeated the next time we turn the PC's on.

Update: Her PC quit connecting again while it was running. I went in there and it had changed the security string to lower cased letters again, which was why it wouldn't work when the PC started today too. I changed them to upper case, and it keeps changing them back. WTF?!

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
said by Melissa2009B:

Since this was setup, we've had problems every time we turn the two PC Win 7 computers on each day. It's like they have to be messed with for 10-15 minutes a day to get them working with the Comcast gateway. They each have different wireless usb adapters in them, and even though I set up the Windows networking stuff to connect automatically, they don't, every day. I called Comcast support just now and they said that because the two Roku boxes are working it's "not their problem".

So I have to figure this out on my own now. I'm sort of an intermediate person, with my PC networking setup experience. But when I open the network and sharing center, I keep getting signs that the adapters arent even seeing the Comcast network, then I have to mess with the drivers software some and put in the big long numerical keys all over again, and the adapters finally see the networks out there ( ours and others ).

Then I have to mess with the network and sharing center stuff to get it to automatically connect again, while something in there keeps removing our network in the setup and I have to keep putting it back and putting in the fricking numbers until it finally works, only to be repeated the next time we turn the PC's on.

Update: Her PC quit connecting again while it was running. I went in there and it had changed the security string to lower cased letters again, which was why it wouldn't work when the PC started today too. I changed them to upper case, and it keeps changing them back. WTF?!

This is just a guess and may not make any difference.

It sounds like your network changes are getting changed when the computer boots up and even while it is running. The first thing is make sure your network changes are being saved after you make the changes. The second thing is disable the automatic network connecting and see if that makes any difference. Maybe, that is doing something to screw up the network changes. Keep track of what you change, so if it doesn't work you can at least get back to where it works.

Good luck!
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
I don't know any better way to save these things, than to click ok and close the window.

There is no specific "Save" button.

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA

It sounds like the PCs are remembering the old DSL wireless connection and reverting back to it.

I think what you need to do is go into "manage wireless networks" and make sure your old DSL network (or any others) is/are deleted. Then add the new one and hopefully it will remember it.

Also when you add the new one I think there is a checkbox to tell win7 to remember the credentials.

If that doesn't work you may have to take out the USB Wi-fi adapter, delete the drivers and reinstall.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO
No, the old network is totally gone, I made sure of that. I pulled the plug on the DSL router so it doesn't show up, and deleted it totally from both profiles.