share rss forum feed

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jarablue

Re: [Southeast] 150/35 Questions

said by jarablue:

What are the tweaks needed for Windows 7 64 bit on 150meg?

I am thinking about subscribing when the 17th hits and would like my OS ready for the speed.

I personally use these settings and get my full 150/65:

quote:
netsh interface tcp show global
Querying active state...
TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : disabled
NetDMA State : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : enabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : experimental
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled
In my opinion, I wouldn't even bother using the Verizon "speed optimizer", it's a pathetic joke. Use at your own risk.

When the tech came to upgrade me to 150/35 from 50/20, he spent an hour trying to get my upload speed from 10mbps to the 65mbps. I had the Rev. G Actiontec in place coupled with a new server-variant Intel gigabit NIC. After running the VZ optimizer for the fourth or fifth time he gave up and was about to leave when I asked if I could revert to my saved TCP/IP settings(always keep a backup!) to pre-"VZ optimization" state and that did the trick.

In addition to the settings I posted above, I also had to tune my 'interrupt moderation rate' to maximum on my NIC to receive highest throughput. Your NIC may or may not have this option.

A short explanation:

quote:
Interrupt Moderation Rate

This sets the rate at which the controller moderates or delays the generation of interrupts making it possible to optimize network throughput and CPU utilization. The default setting (Adaptive) adjusts the interrupt rates dynamically depending on traffic type and network usage. Choosing a different setting may improve network and system performance in certain configurations.

Without interrupt moderation, CPU utilization increases at higher data rates because the system must handle a larger number of interrupts. Interrupt moderation causes the network driver to accumulate interrupts and send a single interrupt rather than a series of interrupts. At higher data rates, a high interrupt moderation setting may improve system performance. At low data rates, a lower interrupt moderation setting is preferred as delayed interrupts causes latency.