dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
No caps »
This is a sub-selection from I got a deal!
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

Re: I got a deal!

How soon? Keep in mind that speeds like that would require a couple high quality upstream channels and six or more down streams, otherwise peak times would see lower speeds.

But hey, if they can pull it off, I'm all for it.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by iansltx:

How soon? Keep in mind that speeds like that would require a couple high quality upstream channels and six or more down streams, otherwise peak times would see lower speeds.

well, to keep up with FiOS offerings in those markets, it would have to be really soon. a 4 bonded channel cable modem will probably see realistic speeds of 150mbps download, and a single upload channel can get you up to 42mbps(33 realistically because of shared channel limitations and no channel bonding), so, it would not be surprising to see these from cable companies soon. I have heard hints from the local charter office employees about charter increasing upload speeds(albeit, on a single channel), and that would be awesome.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

You can't realistically expect 150 Mbps deliver speeds over four channels, because you still have other people on the node. You would need more channels...which is fine, because eight channel bonded modems are out now.

As for the upstream path, usable capacity on a fully upgraded, wide, 64qAM channel, is 30 Mbps. Which means that real world, delivered in ammulti user environment, speeds would be 20 Mbps at most.

That said, many areas are limited to 16QAM upstream channels, which only have 10 Mbps of capacity. Hence cableco offerings that top out at 5 Mbps up.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

That assumes only 8 channels to the node... There may be many channels to a given node, any single modem will currently be assigned a max of 8 of them
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

True. However I'd be surprised if any cable provider in the Us was reliably deploying more than eight DOCSIS downstream carriers at this point.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

I'm saying the potential to virtualize many combonations of 8 is there on physical nodes which can be added as needed. Cable can continue adding capacity WHEN there is demand.
FTTH has a huge initial install sunk cost, basically the same for 15/15 customers as a 300/65 which sits there costing money even with no subs to pay for it.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Chubbysumo

Premium Member

to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

said by iansltx:

well, to keep up with FiOS offerings in those markets, it would have to be really soon. a 4 bonded channel cable modem will probably see realistic speeds of 150mbps download, and a single upload channel can get you up to 42mbps(33 realistically because of shared channel limitations and no channel bonding), so, it would not be surprising to see these from cable companies soon. I have heard hints from the local charter office employees about charter increasing upload speeds(albeit, on a single channel), and that would be awesome.

a 4 bonded channel cable modem will probably see realistic speeds of 150mbps download if they were alone on the node[NOT LIKELY]

Aron
@verizon.net

Aron to Chubbysumo

Anon

to Chubbysumo
I'm not an expert at this BUT:
These faster speeds are virtually useless. Throttling prevents any real use of the speed IMO, and for those who think the internet "will shut down", don't really understand how it works.
Faster speeds means faster downloads of data, which translates in to LESS stress on servers/backbone.
Think of the way race cars get their tanks filled. 5 gallons in less than 3 seconds, where the gas station takes a couple minutes.
SAME content but the faster delivery, takes the demand "offline" nearly immediately.
Same holds true for servers capable of "serving" data that quickly.
FILE DOWNLOADS. I have a FiOS 25/15 service. The Fastest sustained download speed I've ever seen is when downloading MS OFFICE TRIAL, at about 3.5 MBS .

This faster speed does not translate into better movie quality, with say NETFLIX either, WHY? Because Netflix won't allow the data rates to make excellent movie quality a reality.

IN SHORT: Throttling at the server level will likely make these incredible speeds a waste of money.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Aron :

I'm not an expert at this BUT:
These faster speeds are virtually useless. Throttling prevents any real use of the speed IMO, and for those who think the internet "will shut down", don't really understand how it works.

Indeed, but it is not "throttling" which is the bottleneck. You can't pull data from my server at 1000 MB/s if my upload is only 512 kb/s.

Aron
@verizon.net

Aron

Anon

True, and that is the point. You can only get the data as fast as it is able to be served, whether by hardware restriction or software.

Basically, you are attaching a 300mbs straw to their 512k straw. The "Vacuum" won't pull it through any faster! It's ONLY gonna come in at that 512kbs.

And that's my argument/point. The download speeds that VZ FiOS offer will be of use only to a scarce few, hence those who also serve/receive at blazing speeds.

Bill786786
@verizon.net

Bill786786 to Aron

Anon

to Aron
I hate to tell you but your 25 meg service is actually megabit not megabyte. your 3.5Meg download is actually 3.5Megabytes X 8 = 28 Megabits. You are getting what you pay for and a little extra. I have the 50/25 service and I routinely pug the connection out at 50meg when downloading from Apple/Msoft/Vmware etc.

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
What about most web sites being hosted in data centers with gigabits of bandwidth? They should be able to put out enough data to fill even a 300 megabit connection. The biggest bottleneck is consumer's wi-fi routers. Sure, they advertise 150 mbps speeds, but you have to be right on top of the router to get that speed. In the next room, you only get 20 mbps. 3 rooms away, you get 2 mbps.
No caps »
This is a sub-selection from I got a deal!