spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

I know which tier I'd get

The pricing on all tiers up to 150M is pretty close, between one tier and the next one up. The speed of 150M, particularly on the upload side, is just excellent for the price (since this is the US we're in). As such, if I were in a FiOS area, I wouldn't think twice about shelling out for that level of connectivity. 300M is just a bragging-rights tier at this point, but 150M seems like the sweet spot to me, despite it's rather high absolute price.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Re: I know which tier I'd get

Which is another way of saying that Verizon will no longer be offering what can be seen as an entry-level tier, which is another way of saying that Verizon is no longer interested in customers who simply want basic Internet access--which I'd say is more than half of their customer base. The real "sweet spot" is somewhere around $50 or so. Verizon's [everyone must pay this] sweet spot now is $70 or so.

I wonder if their higher prices will make up for the lost customers...
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

The lower end customers can go to some mobile beoadband company, or maybe cable. Verizon probably provides back haul for whichever mobile provider those customers are on, anyway.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Just because I don't care about going super-fast doesn't mean I don't use my connection a lot--100GB or more per month; so mobile broadband isn't feasible. Cable, on the other hand, is. So, you think Verizon wants to push its customers (more than half of them?) to cable? (good business plan [not])
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

If cable returns the favor by getting people to sign up for VZW, sure it's a good business plan. It also helps VZ justify not rolling out FiOS anymore, because obviously people son't need the speed that it provides.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Can you say "government investigation"? (I knew you could.)
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

How about investigating USF misuse by big telcos first. Lots more areas should have fast DSL than do at this point.