uniqs
share rss forum feed
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

If I wanted 300 I would get two 150s

If I get the 300/65 it costs me $205 per month. If I get two 150/65 and bond them together, I get 300/130 for $190 per month. So, I have to do some configuring and I may loose a little speed but I save $15 a month. I guess if I really wanted that, I would actually keep it simple and get the 300/65. But that ricing does seem a little strange. I will stick with my 35/35 package until the next renewal.

I have had Cable in the past and it is not even close to FiOS in terms of stability and consistency of speed. I run several monitors and can count on one hand the number of times I have gone below the promised level the past few years. While on cable I saw more such drop outs in a day. Of course, the end user may or may not notice this. I just like to know that it is stable.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Re: If I wanted 300 I would get two 150s

What does it cost you to bond?

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter
Plus server costs, plus colocation costs (as I can't imagine you'll freely have access to a 1gbps port to support your new, bonded 300mbps service).

Yeah, you sure can save $15 if you were already deployed on the infrastructure able to support it.

Or.... you could just pay the extra $15 and save the trouble
Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

said by DaSneaky1D:

Plus server costs, plus colocation costs (as I can't imagine you'll freely have access to a 1gbps port to support your new, bonded 300mbps service).

Yeah, you sure can save $15 if you were already deployed on the infrastructure able to support it.

Or.... you could just pay the extra $15 and save the trouble

Its not hard to turn an older PC into a router with load balancing. As long as it has a dual core CPU, 2 GB of RAM, and 3 gig ports(2 for in, and 1 for out to a normal router maybe, or use the PC as the router). I made a load balancing PC for a client for about $50, and it also then doubles as a NAS and network management computer. Hell, even a single core P4 or P3 machine would probably work just fine. You would only need 2 fibers in to keep them separate.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

For load-balancing, sure. Bonding, however, is much more complicated and expensive.
jims2321

join:2000-04-05
Oviedo, FL

Not really, just need nics that support aggregate bonding (lots do already) and run linux with it (most white box pc routers software is linux based). So with the real cost is the modems for bridging to the pc router.
--
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people with questions -- Albert Einstein 1947
Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by OwlSaver:

If I get the 300/65 it costs me $205 per month. If I get two 150/65 and bond them together, I get 300/130 for $190 per month. So, I have to do some configuring and I may loose a little speed but I save $15 a month.

Didnt notice this before actually. I wonder if you could get 2 lines? It seems odd that its more than double the price, for just more download and not more upload, when you can pay less for two of the 150 lines and get double the upload too. Seems silly now, and a massive rip off, unless they are instituting caps and overages for all their tiers except the 300mbps tier.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by OwlSaver:

If I get the 300/65 it costs me $205 per month. If I get two 150/65 and bond them together, I get 300/130 for $190 per month. So, I have to do some configuring and I may loose a little speed but I save $15 a month. I guess if I really wanted that, I would actually keep it simple and get the 300/65. But that ricing does seem a little strange. I will stick with my 35/35 package until the next renewal.

This is why I will likely not be upgrading to the 300/65 plan. It does mean; however, I will likely be able to get the cost of my dual 150/75 (yes the upload is really 75 megabits) down about $200 cheaper than what I am paying now. I will take that!
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!