openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Re: $65 for 15/5? $55 for 3Mb? Ouch, way overpriced IMO

said by skeechan:

Price is king and they can raise speeds all they want but it is triple play promos that will get them subscribers.

Bingo. And that's what VZ wants. It wants to lock in long-term subs with at least TV service. Triple play is the cherry on the sundae.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

As long as there is no competition, VZ will charge what they want.

Am looking forward to Google fiber in my area. Expected to be under $100/month for 1G and 100/100Mbps could be as low as $50/month.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Verizon does have limited competition, but yes, VZ has learned that it can charge a premium for its services. It has done so on the mobile wireless side and is now doing so on the wired and fixed wireless sides as well. Can't really blame VZ if people are willing to pay the higher price.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

The value related to residential broadband, however, is not higher speeds; it's providing something close to the promised (provisioned) speeds--which for the most part cable handles just as well as Verizon. Frankly, anything over 15/5 is barely distinguishable from 15/5 in real-time. Providing higher speeds doesn't increase customer satisfaction because the customer doesn't really notice any difference. All they notice is that their bill is higher.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
I don't think too many subs would complain about a 2 year deal at $95 along with the gift card or think that is too high. That is a very competitive price, especially for such a long term. Cox offers $75 but for only 6 months then the price rockets to $145-$150/mo.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl
said by GlennLouEarl:

Providing higher speeds doesn't increase customer satisfaction because the customer doesn't really notice any difference.

Of course not, but it's a marketing gimmick that many ISPs have been employing for quite some time now...and it works for a lot of consumers. After all, "more is better", right? "Supersize me!"
openbox9

openbox9 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I don't think too many subs would complain about a 2 year deal at $95 along with the gift card or think that is too high.

That's kind of my point. Entice consumers, lock them in contracts, provide excellent service, and then retain them beyond their contract periods at higher rates.