All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
No caps »
This is a sub-selection from I got a deal!

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Chubbysumo

Re: I got a deal!

You can't realistically expect 150 Mbps deliver speeds over four channels, because you still have other people on the node. You would need more channels...which is fine, because eight channel bonded modems are out now.

As for the upstream path, usable capacity on a fully upgraded, wide, 64qAM channel, is 30 Mbps. Which means that real world, delivered in ammulti user environment, speeds would be 20 Mbps at most.

That said, many areas are limited to 16QAM upstream channels, which only have 10 Mbps of capacity. Hence cableco offerings that top out at 5 Mbps up.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

That assumes only 8 channels to the node... There may be many channels to a given node, any single modem will currently be assigned a max of 8 of them

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

True. However I'd be surprised if any cable provider in the Us was reliably deploying more than eight DOCSIS downstream carriers at this point.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I'm saying the potential to virtualize many combonations of 8 is there on physical nodes which can be added as needed. Cable can continue adding capacity WHEN there is demand.
FTTH has a huge initial install sunk cost, basically the same for 15/15 customers as a 300/65 which sits there costing money even with no subs to pay for it.