spc
Search similar:

uniqs
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

[CDV] Switch to Arris emta from RCA?

Right now I have a SB6120 D3 modem that I own, I got it because I wanted channel bonding... when they did the install they gave me an RCA Thompson DHG536 which is D2... for two years I didn't pay to lease the emta, now I am, and figured if I have to pay $7 a month for the darn thing just to use a built in modem too so I can take one more thing off my UPS Backup system... but this not being a DOCSIS 3 modem I haven't done it...

is there anyway to get them to change out this RCA Thompson emta with a newer Arris eMTA? I know self install kits here you get the Arris emta but if a contractor does the install they give you the D2 DHG536 eMTA (why are they even giving out D2 equipment anymore might as well give out all D3) I am not subscribed at a "D3" tier but my SB6120 still works better with channel bonding then the D2 emta does when I had it activated

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover

Give them a call and say you want to do it.

They will charge you 10$ for shipping tho. Tell them you also want a return kit for the old one.

You can get a 722G or a 862G. The 862G is a gateway wifi all in one device and apparently there is a firmware issue on it with alternate DNS servers.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to neufuse

MVM

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

is there anyway to get them to change out this RCA Thompson emta with a newer Arris eMTA? I know self install kits here you get the Arris emta but if a contractor does the install they give you the D2 DHG536 eMTA (why are they even giving out D2 equipment anymore might as well give out all D3) I am not subscribed at a "D3" tier but my SB6120 still works better with channel bonding then the D2 emta does when I had it activated

Absolutely. Comcast sent me both the D2 RCA DHG536 eMTA plus a Cisco D3 DPC3008 modem. I did not want to split the two as my signal is touchy to begin with, so I swapped the RCA & Cisco back for a Arris TM722G. They kindly waived the $10 shipping fee, however, it did cost $10 for them to provision the TM722G.

As the previous poster mentioned, do not let them send you a wireless gateway...those things are a mess!
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

called... got "you are not subscribing to a DOCSIS3 tier" from the CSR... ugh try again in a day...

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by neufuse:

called... got "you are not subscribing to a DOCSIS3 tier" from the CSR... ugh try again in a day...

Strange answer, since channel bonding improves connectivity especially during peak/congested times. I believe that this also is actually in Comcast's best interest, to have subscribers running Docsis 3.0 compliant modems...

I am only on the performance tier, but I was told that since I was in a Docsis 3.0 area, I should use a D3 modem...at least part of the reason that they sent me a D2 eMTA plus a D3 modem for my self-install kit.

One thing that I have learned in my short time with Comcast: Often the first call to a tech/CSR is not necessarily the final answer!
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

yeah, that's why I am going to call again tomorrow
neufuse

neufuse

well called two times now, one response was "if you aren't having trouble, we can't change it"..... e-mailed the we_care address to try to get help on this now...

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover to neufuse

to neufuse
If that doesn't work you could try »Comcast Direct or pm ComcastSteve »/profi ··· /1609731
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

the we can help line seems to of came through, they even waved the fee to do the switch over... they told me they don't let customers do their own eMTA swap, but they did come right out and say I can buy one since I am in a region that supports customer owned eMTA's... (haven't found a best buy that sells them though around here even going by the list that arris and comcast have posted showing the ones in pittsburgh that do sell them, none "stock" them.... go figure)

should have this swapped this week.. hopefully, an appt is scheduled

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by neufuse:

the we can help line seems to of came through, they even waved the fee to do the switch over... they told me they don't let customers do their own eMTA swap, but they did come right out and say I can buy one since I am in a region that supports customer owned eMTA's... (haven't found a best buy that sells them though around here even going by the list that arris and comcast have posted showing the ones in pittsburgh that do sell them, none "stock" them.... go figure)

should have this swapped this week.. hopefully, an appt is scheduled

Sounds good!

BTW, I would not recommend buying an eMTA, even though the Arris TM722G is a decent enough model.

The problem is economics: The TM722G costs $149 (new...don't even try to buy a used 722G, they probably will not provision it). It is a 3+ year old model. It will take you about 2 years to ameliorate the cost of buying versus what you would have paid in rent. At that time, you will then own a 5+ year old model eMTA, and probably will be in the market for a newer version...not to mention that if the Comcast eMTA craps out during that 2 years, they will simply send you a new one. Makes buying an eMTA a low-return proposition

Now, if Comcast would let you purchase a current model eMTA and provision it, that would be another story...