how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shaman515

join:2012-06-04
St John'S, NL
reply to PRIUS

Re: free or low cost voip with caller id.

I also emailed Mr. Oosterman and got a call back the next from his office. Thank you for the email address.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
reply to Shaman515
Np

deadtorights

join:2011-01-27
I check on voip.ms website and notice there is no unlimited outgoing call but there is for incoming. why that? I was looking for a montreal DID.

Does feature"Ring Groups, Callback, Failover destination, Call Forwarding" is that free?

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
All features are free, except 911 which has a monthly fee. However, if you use, say call forwarding, then you must pay for both an incomming and an outgoing call at the same time.

There is no unlimited outgoing, because it doesn't really make sense. You can make 20 calls at the same time with a single Voip.ms account, so you could easily abuse if it was unlimited.
Unlimited incomming are now limited to 3500 minutes, I think, and it's only 2 calls at a time.

petercarlos

join:2012-03-14
reply to Guspaz
I think you are confused between extensions and DIDs. DIDs are only used for receiving calls. It is the extensions that we use for calling. After reading the prices of Voip.ms, I planned to switch to Voip.ms since my provider seemed too expensive. So, I checked out its cost-effectiveness for the purpose of my business and I came across these results:
Voip.ms DID: Initial setup fee+ DID charges ($ 4.95/month)
Voip.ms 1000 minutes Canada inbound (apart from extensions/DIDs): $ 10.00
Voip.ms 1000 minutes Canada inbound (between extensions/DIDs): $ 0.00
Voip.ms 1000 minutes Canada outbound: ranges from $5.2 to $20.7(variable)

The Real PBX DID: Free initial setup + DID charges ($ 2.00/month)
The Real PBX 1000 minutes Canada inbound (apart from extensions/ DIDs):$ 19.00
The Real PBX 1000 minutes Canada inbound (between extensions/DIDs): $ 0.00
The Real PBX 1000 minutes Canada outbound: $ 20.00

I calculated the price for both in order to determine the difference in costs and now, I have finally made up my mind to drop the idea of switching. I am availing almost all the features for free that Voip.ms provides for fixed price, especially number portability. So, be it either ways, I don’t find much difference in the costs. I don’t mind spending a little extra for the reliability and security that I am getting with this provider.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
If you're paying $4.95 for the DID on Voip.ms then you already have 3500min of incoming included no need for the $10 pay per min costs.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to petercarlos
I'm not confusing anything; an extension is a convenience that allows you to more easily route inbound calls, something you register an ATA to. It has nothing to do with outbound calling. A $4.95 VoIP.ms DID includes "unlimited" minutes (there's a soft cap on that of 3500 minutes, as has been mentioned), rendering the $10 fee you list unnecessary.

You also give a "variable" rate of $5.20 to $20.70 for Canada outbound, but there is no pricing rate that could produce $20.70 outbound ($0.0207). The *ONLY* Canadian destination that costs more than $0.0052 per minute are the territories at $0.0102, and considering that very few people live in the territories, I don't think it's something most people consider. The other destination is 310 numbers, but that's a service (like 310-bell), not a person you'd call, and even that is only $0.0125 per minute).

The Real PBX's cheapest listed plan is $9.95 per month, and no option to pay only $2 for a DID alone is listed on their pricing page (except a $2 per month extra fee for a toll-free number). That $9.95 per month does not include many of the features you get for free from VoIP.ms, such as follow-me, unlimited voicemail boxes, call routing, multi-level menus, dial-by-name, etc.

So, basically, you've artificially overinflated voip.ms prices by including unnecessary charges (inbound on an unlimited DID) and non-existent rates (there is no $0.0207 rate for Canada). You appear to also have under-stated costs at The Real PBX; either you or their pricing page is lying or incomplete...

As for the "extra reliability and security" that you're paying multiple times more money per month for, check again. voip.ms is a Canadian company based in Montreal, operating in the VoIP business for more than five years. Real PBX is based in New Delhi, India, only registered their domain in 2010, and used a domain anonymization service to hide their information. I'm starting to wonder if you're astroturfing...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

petercarlos

An extension can make an outbound call. DID (Direct Inward Dialing) is a number that you can use for inward dialing only. Whenever a call comes, it is received on DID from where it is directed to the extensions.

Answering according to the requirements, newcust123 has mentioned his basic requirement as I would need caller id, but i do not do long distance. Just local call. So, the only feature that is essential for him is caller ID. So, why to discuss other features? I suggested the most basic plan which can meet his requirements.

See, I dont know about what services you are using or how the services are, all I want to say is that it does not matter how old the company is, it is a matter of the reliability and security that I have personally experienced with this company.

zorxd

Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
I think you confuse extension with SIP account.
Technically you can have an SIP account that can only make (but not receive) calls if you really want to.
An extension is a an internal phone number. It works like a DID but can't be dialled from the outside world.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to newcust123
Indeed, extensions are irrelevant here. For the requirement of "make and receive local calls", you need a DID and termination service. Real PBX rips you off for that, charging many times more for even the most basic service.
--

petercarlos

reply to zorxd
This is exactly what I am trying to say. DID is a local area number that you can use. This DID is internally connected to extensions. Whenever a user makes a call, he calls the DID but it has to be answered on an extension. An extension cannot be directly dialed. However, when one needs to make a call, it has to be dialed to the outside world through an extension. The main use of DID is that when we call a customer, our local number gets displayed so that if he wants to call back, we can receive the call. That’s why I said that it can be used for incoming. We dial through extension but we can set our local number or original number or even a toll-free number to get displayed through the caller ID. DID is basically a virtual number that cannot be configured on any phone.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to newcust123
3 pages on this thread and not a single mention of freephoneline.ca? YOu can port your existing phone number if you're from Montreal (25$) and you get free phone service for life for 50$, no monthly fee. If you want long distance plans, they offer the same as worldline.ca. Take a look: www.freephoneline.ca

If it's all about Europe calling, OVH does a VOIP line with unlimited calls to land lines in about 50 countries for 1 euro per month: »www.ovh.fr/telephonie/

petercarlos

reply to Guspaz
Hi Guspaz,
I am a little confused with the services of Voip.ms. Do they offer a PBX system or they provide only VOIP? And how do they configure the DIDs. I mean where can one actually receive an incoming call to a DID? And what do I require for the initial startup with Voip.ms?

zorxd

Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
They do not provide your own, private PBX. However, many features of a PBX are there. You can create sub accounts (either SIP or IAX2). And you can assign internal extensions to these sub accounts if you want to.
You can choose where your DID(s) rings. For most people it will ring their main SIP account. However you could also have a ring group, or an IVR (phone menu).

For the initial startup you usually only need a voip phone (either softphone, ATA, hard SIP phone). You must deposit $25 which will be used as pre-paid money.

Balzard

join:2012-01-12
reply to newcust123
I recently switched from voip.ms to FreePhoneLine. While voip.ms does offer more options, like DISA and all, I only really needed the basic options like CallerID and Call Waiting. My monthly bill with voip.ms was around $15, which is close to a basic POTS service, since I had to use the Premium route. Il also experienced quite a few problems with voip.ms (call drops, sound quality, etc.). If you have basic needs, I would recommend FreePhoneLine over voip.ms.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to petercarlos
voip.ms provides a hosted PBX solution, basically (don't need a DID, since accounts are free to register, but without a DID or SIP URI, you'd have no way to call into the system). You can set up all the routing stuff yourself through their web interface. For example, for our convention we set up an automated menu that can take voicemail and forward it via e-mail.

You can create an account for free and poke around in the web interface for configuring all this.
--

petercarlos

reply to zorxd
This $ 25 is some type of security money that one has to deposit or is it an advance payment for the services? The calling cost will be apart from this or is it included?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by petercarlos:

This $ 25 is some type of security money that one has to deposit or is it an advance payment for the services? The calling cost will be apart from this or is it included?

Advance payment, account balance that you chip away at whilst using the services.

I configured my account to send me an email whenever I get lower than $X dollars so I can top up via PayPal.

The best bang I've ever gotten for my buck, ever.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

lawrence171
Evilly Yours - Evilness

join:2001-12-24
Canada
reply to newcust123
Dell Voice