All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Jammers

Need advice on best router for small wireless network.

I need some help choosing a good router for a small wireless network i plan on putting together very soon. It will just be a desktop sharing broadband internet with a laptop. The desktop came with a N wireless card installed would it be better to have the desktop wired to the router with a ethernet cable or go completely wireless?

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k

Premium Member

A lot will depend on your internet connection speed and the specific router. If you have a fast connection say 12 up or better a lot of (cheaper) wireless routers will not support that speed and you would need an ethernet cable.

There are a lot of good routers out there just pick one that can supply the wireless speed you need. I don't know what your budget is, but this one has been getting some good reviews. »www.amazon.com/Linksys-E ··· points=1
techguy2012
join:2012-05-17
Mundelein, IL

techguy2012 to Jammers

to Jammers
Is the desktop N card 5Ghz (dual band capable)?

Not sure dual-band router is necessary if your not going to connect anything to it at 5Ghz?
Jammers
Tillamook, OR

Jammers

Yes the desktop wireless card is a dualband network card.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

I think a better question is where (if anywhere) do you want to take this?

If you are going to be set with a wired desktop (no reason to go wireless with a box that isn't going anywhere) and one notebook, then it won't take a killer router to run it. If on the other hand you have expansion plans, that would be another thing altogether.

I do however recommend at least a "middle-of-the-road" model router, primarily because you get what you pay for.

I am not particularly crazed over which brand to get...all the major names produce good routers that can do the trick. Just don't settle for any brand's least expensive offerings.

Having said that, and this is only my personal preference, I do like the new Linksys EA line of routers, and if I was going to start a modest network, without too many bells and whistles, I'd go with the Linksys EA2700. It is dual band, has gigabit ports, and gives good performance for the price.
Bob99
join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ

Bob99 to Jammers

to Jammers
said by Jammers:

would it be better to have the desktop wired to the router with a ethernet cable or go completely wireless?

The only reason to not use a wired connection is if you can't put the router near the desktop. There is no advantage to being "completely wireless."
said by PeteC2:

If on the other hand you have expansion plans, that would be another thing altogether.

And if you don't have expansion plans, it will expand anyway. Once you have wireless, you will find other uses for it. So don't go too cheap.
Jammers
Tillamook, OR

1 edit

Jammers

The router will be near the desktop so yeah i will be able to run the ethernet cable from the desktop to the router with no problem. As for expanded plans what else could i add in a wireless network? Right now its pretty simple just a laptop and the desktop.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k

Premium Member

said by Jammers:

The router will be near the desktop so yeah i will be able to run the ethernet cable from the desktop to the router with no problem. As for expanded plans what else could i add in a wireless network? Right now its pretty simple just a laptop and the desktop.

A lot of things come to mind like a printer(s), cell phone(s), video camera(s), Xbox, more laptops, cable or satellite input box, and it seems like the list grows every day.
Bob99
join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ

Bob99

. . . tablets, TiVo, Roku, e-readers . . . and friends and relatives come over with their laptops or tablets . . . and whatever new wireless gadgets will be introduced in the next couple of years.
Jammers
Tillamook, OR

Jammers

I'm looking at this router. Does it has all the features i would need if i expanded my network in the near future? Seems like it does. »www.amazon.com/Linksys-E ··· 5&sr=1-7

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by Jammers:

I'm looking at this router. Does it has all the features i would need if i expanded my network in the near future? Seems like it does. »www.amazon.com/Linksys-E ··· 5&sr=1-7

Absolutely. Good choice. That is the next router up in line from the EA2700 that I previously mentioned.

It has all the features that you need now, and if the day comes that you do want to do more with your home network, all the features that you might need later.