Search similar:

uniqs
amorak
join:2011-03-12
Calgary, AB

amorak

Will Shaw Run cat5e/cat6 for me?

Hi guys,

As per my previous thread, I want to switch to Shaw but need Ethernet at all my TVs. Will Shaw run Ethernet for me, or do I need to find someone to do it?
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by amorak:

Hi guys,

As per my previous thread, I want to switch to Shaw but need Ethernet at all my TVs. Will Shaw run Ethernet for me, or do I need to find someone to do it?

I wouldnt use the shaw installers for this purpose. I would look into a home automation company that does retro fitting

somedudehere
@telus.net

somedudehere to amorak

Anon

to amorak
said by amorak:

Hi guys,

I dont think shaw uses cat5/6 they use RG-xx (coax) if they do im guessing it would be extra. Do it your self for free.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

My last data, Shaw will install at max 6 feet Cat5e cable.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to amorak

to amorak
said by amorak:

Hi guys,

It's not something our installers do, no. I'd go with Doonz recommendation.

Cheers.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

I tape my Cat5 with scotch tape to the ceiling. True story.

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC

nfx to amorak

Premium Member

to amorak
Why don't they though? They're capable of handling 2-pair CAT3 for phone installs, 4 pair CAT5e is just 2 more pairs to crimp.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E

Premium Member

said by nfx:

Why don't they though? They're capable of handling 2-pair CAT3 for phone installs, 4 pair CAT5e is just 2 more pairs to crimp.

Probably because they're in the business of providing TV/Internet and phone services, not Home Wiring.
Coax and phone wiring are necessary to use the services, ethernet connections aren't. It's too labour and time intensive for Shaw to do that type of work. That's what Home Theatre companies / Low Voltage Installers and Electricians are for.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

Believe it or not, back in the days, Rogers@Home brought and installed and configured...wait for it...wait for it.... a NETWORK INTERFACE CARD....WHOA!! (I know I know).

That must've been a heck of a headache for them:
Hardware install, software install...actually opening a customer's computer...having to hire techs who can open customer's computer...my got...

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Years ago, computers were not standard with network interfaces.

The will no longer install network cards, but I challenge you to find a recent computer sold that doesn't have one.

Perhaps the last 5 years or so I don't think I have heard of one.

Maybe 10 years, I think it was a requirement for the Designed for XP stickers.

-Posted from my phone.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

Don't be ridiculous, iPad3 doesn't have a network card.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

1) iPad isn't a computer

2) Would you want any tech anywhere to open it and a RJ-45 female end for network support.

-Posted from my phone.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

1) I'm disappoint. It's got a CPU and Memory, what else do you need?
2) I've opened it before, but I couldn't find an Ethernet controller to solder to...
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to ilianame

to ilianame
said by ilianame:

Don't be ridiculous, iPad3 doesn't have a network card.

This is not factually true. I will help the 'literal net' by challenging it.

The New iPad can actually support up to 3 network interfaces:
1. Bluetooth
2. 802.11n (dual band)
3. CDMA or GSM Cellular

No need to open it and install another network interface card. It might be true that none of these are on a card, perhaps they are on a 'board' instead. I've really never looked into it.

If ilianame wants to edit his post to say 1000/100/10BaseT network card, then I'll also be out of luck and the 'literal net' will need to retreat.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

True true, but I won't edit the post, since we were in the "off topic context of Rogers@Home network cards".

So to clarify, it don't have a wired interface you can easily connect to for networking

I'm still a little upset with Kevin deeming iPad3 to not be a proverbial computer.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by ilianame:

"iPad3 to not be a proverbial computer."

You mean "The New iPad" ? :P

Ok ok, I'm done trolling ilianame.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

I kind of support the politics of "The New iPad",
it really supports the "previous iPads were betas",
this one IS THE IPAD, the way Apple always meant it.

But then I realized that there will probably be another one and another one, so it was settled to call it iPad3.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT

Still needs a real OS to function like a computer and Apple needs to have Foxconn work on extending the WiFi range on those miserable things. /endrant.
fender
join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC

fender to amorak

to amorak
An iPad 3 is definitely a computer. You might not agree with the interface/user interface but at it's foundation it's simply a multi-core system running a Unix-based operating system.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

My basis was from the manufacturer,

»www.apple.com/mac/
Calls it a computer

»www.apple.com/ipad/
Does not call it a computer, that I saw anyways.

We do need to stop though, too far off topic.

-Posted from my phone.