spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lloyd Gamer

@sasknet.sk.ca

[SK] Shaw vs sasktel for online gaming in lloyd

Just wondering if anyone here has used both these services in lloydminster before and which was faster, currently i have sasktel and am planning on switching to shaw. I average between 100 to 125 ms on sasktel for most game servers i'd like to get to 75 or lower.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Everybody plays different games.

Borrow a neighbor's connection for an hour, see what you get.

Offer them, in exchange for borrowing their connection, if you like it, you'll use them with refer-a-friend, to give them whatever bonus it is right now.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

scouzer

join:2007-10-15
Lloydminster, AB
I've used both Sasktel and Shaw. Now that Shaw has finally fixed up Lloyd, it's is way better for online gaming. I see pings as low as 20ms but with Sasktel I rarely saw anything below 80ms. Shaw is cheaper to boot.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Lloyd Gamer
Each ISP, you will see bad routes and good routes. Overall, Shaw seems to peer well with a lot of the main backbone providers, level3, internap, Global Crossing, etc. I know for certain, Shaw and internap peer directly, therefore you will see 30ms to any server being provided by internap in Seattle, 50ms to Chicago.

bucko31

@sasknet.sk.ca
reply to scouzer
That's funny bout shaw being. Cheaper . It may be cheaper if you have three services yeah. Not if you don't have three cause they removed the double play discount while b.ack. Fuckers are not cheaper and rates goes up every damn quarter . Look at their quarterly results.

scouzer

Lloydminster, AB
Shaw's rates are high and going up... but Sasktel is obscene. $79.99 bundled price for Ultra? Kiss my butt Sasktel!

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Lloyd Gamer
Look at the Shaw Business rates. I personally they are more appropriate, plus you get static's and it comes with basic cable. My Business BB50 has been rock solid with 2 static's

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
New customer promo's on business accounts are fantastic too.

-Posted from my phone.

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca
reply to scouzer
when the high speed ultra gets on fiber, it be more speed for same price and it's not 79.95, it 69.95 with bundled price.

»www.sasktel.com/search/controlle···ign=Home

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca
Almost forgot that max now will be up to 2, 8 20, 50,100 megs on fibre so no more 5 megs crap. so yeah it going to be awesome. i cannot wait. Shaw you can stick your overpriced service up your diere.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
said by bucko2012 :

Almost forgot that max now will be up to 2, 8 20, 50,100 megs on fibre so no more 5 megs crap. so yeah it going to be awesome. i cannot wait. Shaw you can stick your overpriced service up your diere.

Shaw ALREADY supports 10, 20, 25, 50, 100 in Lloydminster. No need to wait for Fiber.
Expand your moderator at work

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to bucko2012

Re: [SK] Shaw vs sasktel for online gaming in lloyd

@bucko2012

What is the latency on Sasktel's fiber connection?

scouzer

Lloydminster, AB

1 edit
reply to bucko2012
said by bucko2012 :

There are no plans to expand Sasktel fibre to Lloydminster. Max did not come here until 2010.

Whenever Sasktel talks about expansion they always say "...Saskatchewan's 9 largest cities". Guess who is #10? Lloyd. Lloyd is always left out.

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca
reply to kevinds
i get around 50 to 80 ms on high speed plus 5 megs. which is not bad.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
5mbps and 50-80ms on fiber? ouch

-Posted from my phone.

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by kevinds:

5mbps and 50-80ms on fiber? ouch

I second that ouch.
I was getting 5ms to California from Vancouver, transiting Peer1's network, when I was on Novus.
And 40mbit up and down (business plan)

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca
reply to kevinds
no i'm not on fiber yet, possibly next year.

here the results,

»www.speedtest.net/result/2007430742.png

where you think you can get better ping?

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
said by bucko2012 :

where you think you can get better ping?

I'm on wi-fi, running though a VPN:

80 ms isn't all that good...

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Lloyd Gamer
Shaw all the way, wouldn't consider anything else. Even their residential plans are overall good speeds, but since my switch to Business, wouldn't consider anything but.
Expand your moderator at work

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Lloyd Gamer

Re: [SK] Shaw vs sasktel for online gaming in lloyd

You do realize Shaw is doing 250x15 over coax? If their highest speeds they will be wiring is 200x40 over fiber, that's pathetic. If they wanted to be innovative, do similar to Novus in Vancouver and offer symmetrical services. Yes this is commercial, as I don't even bother looking at a residential connection anymore. Biz services blow residential services away, and the price is damn near the same.

»www.novusnow.ca/services/comm_internet.php