join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

[Rant] Update notifications.

Why do applications and operating systems insist on warning you about updates at the least convenient time???

The best time for a notification about new updates should be upon closing the application or before shutting down the OS, not while you're in the midst of doing something!!!

Windows, Firefox, Foxit Reader, etc... they're all guilty of this.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

I keep apps and OS up and running for weeks\months at a time - I would not get notifications in that case.... Best time to do it is when the user is there.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

I keep apps and OS up and running for weeks\months at a time - I would not get notifications in that case.... Best time to do it is when the user is there.

I suppose it depends on your usage.

For me, it would be more convenient to get notifications when closing applications and before putting Windows in sleep mode.

When I get the notifications while I'm busy doing something I tend to close them, with the intention of taking a look at the updates when I'm done, but then I forget about it. Eventually I do get around to it but not as soon as I should.

Oh and if you're wondering why I don't just enable fully automatic updates... I hate having computers do things automatically without my knowledge. I like to review the updates before installing them.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to TheMG

to TheMG
I hate jumping on a server to open Firefox to look at something and I have to wait on Firefox to "finish" it's damn update.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
they should at a minimum make them respect programs that currently are in full screen. if you are playing a game for example and Flashplayer decides its time for a patch it will minimize the game and show its update window.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

I hate jumping on a server to open Firefox to look at something and I have to wait on Firefox to "finish" it's damn update.

disable the automatic update
thegeek

thegeek to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Why do applications and operating systems insist on warning you about updates at the least convenient time???

The best time for a notification about new updates should be upon closing the application or before shutting down the OS, not while you're in the midst of doing something!!!

you're not forced into updating at that time. just make a mental note that the update is available and perform it at your convenience.

also, update notifications typically stick around unless you acknowledge them. so if you can't keep the mental note then don't clear the notification.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

said by thegeek:

said by TheMG:

you're not forced into updating at that time. just make a mental note that the update is available and perform it at your convenience.

also, update notifications typically stick around unless you acknowledge them. so if you can't keep the mental note then don't clear the notification.

Firefox if you are using a version of Windows with UAC disabled will force unprompted updates by default.

I gave up with updates and generally disable them. Then every 3 or 4 months I will check for updates manually.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

2 recommendations

sivran to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
I disagree! A better time to notify of updates would be on start up!

...And then let the user tell it to "remind me in an hour" or "remind me at shutdown."
Generally, when I'm shutting things down, I want them to shut down, not spend an hour more updating.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to joako

Premium Member

to joako
I believe you can still go into the settings of Firefox and uncheck the box for automatic updates.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

said by thegeek:

I believe you can still go into the settings of Firefox and uncheck the box for automatic updates.

Yes but looks like somewhere between ver 10 and ver 16 there's a new "feature" to bypass UAC and install updates again with no prompting:
quote:
Use a background service to install updates: Firefox will use the Mozilla Maintenance Service when installing updates. This will remove the need to authorize Firefox to make changes to your computer through the User Account Control dialog in Windows 7 and Vista.