spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Beef7
join:2012-05-16

Beef7 to I AM

to I AM

Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Thread

a little disapointed that packeteers isn't doing his analysis on GW2!

he did a good job with it in Tera
Beef7

Beef7 to I AM

to I AM
back to diablo 3 tonight!

a little depressed that I can't play GW2, but D3 is still a great game

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Beef7

Premium Member

to Beef7
Yeah no mounts kinda stinks. The map in WvWvW was pretty large and running was a pain!

Beef7

Beef7 to I AM

to I AM
From what I'm reading the loading screen and portals between some zones are here to stay

It is a con for seemless open world experience

but the trade off is that zones are more rich with content

for example, queensdale, or whatever the human starting city is, felt very immersive because you could hear conversations going on with the npcs, very cool... the experience was better than ogrimmar, even though ogrimmar requires no loading screen when entering it. (Tera's main city is nice, and seemless, but running through it you often only see horses without their riders because of lag... didn't notice this in gw2)

(also read no mounts or open world PvP what-so-ever)
Beef7

Beef7 to I AM

to I AM
ahhhh... didn't know this! stayed in one zone

put this in the forums as undesirable!

loading screen between zones is very bad!

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Beef7

Premium Member

to Beef7
I agree and disagree with how open it feels. It's free to roam yes as Tera has some invisible walls. But to me Tera felt more open similar to WoW. Yes when you took the FP to places in Tera you would go warping into outspace thingy but you could if you wanted run from zone to zone without ever hitting a loading screen. With GW2 when you hit other zones you actually zone through an instance looking door and it goes into a loading screen.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

2 edits

Koil to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

said by Koil:

A) It's still a beta, back off hater

The term "beta" is so misused by the MMO games that come out. Beta is less about beta testing and more about giving the first hit for free, enticing people to buy the game. It's advertising. It is beta in a sense that people can play-test/stress-test servers, etc., but its primary focus is for marketing.

The NDA-style betas are the true beta-test for MMOs. Using a "It's still beta" excuse is not acceptable. Most games I've beta tested have only ironed out existing kinks. They don't really make any drastic changes. What you see in beta is what you'll see on release.

I agree the term is over used, and maybe I'm wrong, but this feels more beta than anything I've been in on before. It's definitely not ready for prime time, like I said, unless they've got a huge patch in the wings. Are they going to roll out a new engine...no....but there are a lot of issues that still need to be addressed, and they're making changes to large chunk, game affecting pieces. I'd call it beta, as I don't know what else you can call it....gamma?

Look at what was just added for this BWE...it was quite a laundry list of stuff, which is going to require more tweaking before its ready to roll.

If marketing (edit) is what they were doing, why not just open the flood gates and let everyone in?

While it may not be code level revision type beta, I'd definitely say it's still in a testing mode, for sure.

Beef7

3 edits

Beef7 to I AM

to I AM
@I AM

hehe that's hilarious

usually it just boils down to follow the leader...

mother duckling leading her chicks... when momma stops the babies bump into the others from behind, and start spinning/walking in circles all confused!

UI in GW2 is very different, still figuring everything out

the game definitely feels more open world than Tera... Tera felt very corralled... in valleys

you have a separate set of weapons for above water and below water... and the game camera gets water drops on it when you come out of the water, pretty awesome

ALSO:

- Game music was excellent
- Game art was excellent
- Day/night cycles were excellent
- Weather cycles were excellent
- The game is massively multiplayer without requiring you to be massively social (I know some hate social gaming)
- You get experience for rezzing fallen comrades... this motivates people to rezz you during battles or if they walk buy randomly
- Zone portals allow you to teleport to other sections of the zone without walking all the way there (you have to find the portals before you can use them... a big critique of mmos is wasted time walking through empty land you have nothing to do in)

one zone, will have day/night/weather cycles... and during bad weather it rains/gets cloudy, and the grass blows! pretty awesome

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
If they require you to buy to play the "beta," it's not really a beta, and it's not even a public one at that.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

The term "beta" is so misused by the MMO games that come out. Beta is less about beta testing and more about giving the first hit for free, enticing people to buy the game. It's advertising. It is beta in a sense that people can play-test/stress-test servers, etc., but its primary focus is for marketing.

The NDA-style betas are the true beta-test for MMOs. Using a "It's still beta" excuse is not acceptable. Most games I've beta tested have only ironed out existing kinks. They don't really make any drastic changes. What you see in beta is what you'll see on release.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Beef7

Premium Member

to Beef7
I agree with beef. Warrior was ok dual weild but when I finally got a 2 handed Mace or weapon it picked up a lot in the fun factor.

Classes I tried this Beta were:

Thief and Warrior.

I'm split between the two. Thief gameplay is really fun and involves a lot of movement and animations are really slick. Dual pistol though maybe not the most damage is pretty awesome to just play. I always wanted dual range weapons as a Hunter in WoW. Warrior like I said earlier got more fun as a got 2 handed weapons. The nice thing about Warrior was you could take a few hits as the thief could be 2 shotted. Not entirely to sure what to roll when the game releases.

WvWvW:

I really don't know what was going on. Funny thing was others around me didn't either. There appeared to be some who did as they were barking orders in Area Chat but I didn't even understand the nodes they were yelling at us to help capture or defend. As those who know MMO's well know maps get abbreviations or nicknames (such as BS for Blacksmith in AB). In WvWvW there are event/quests as you approach certain areas and you work to do them. It was just weird, big, confusing. All wonderful about a new game. I only ran into one opposing player but we zerg killed him.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to Beef7

Premium Member

to Beef7
I'm pretty sure skills remain the same, but you get traits that do different things (independantly of your weapon) that can affect it, plus you can place "add-ons" to the weapon as well, that give it perks and buffs....but again, I'm not 100% on that.

Beef7

Beef7 to Koil

to Koil
as you progress in the game:

would an EPIC 2H staff do different abilities than lets say a normal 2H staff?

or would the abilities stay the same, and only the stats improve?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to Beef7

Premium Member

to Beef7
2H weapons fill out all 5 skills, as obviously an off hand cannot be used.

Necro 2H is the staff, which focuses on a lot of AOE traps or zone triggers, causing debuffs as baddies move through them.

Beef7

Beef7 to Koil

to Koil
my favorite wep of the weekend was warrior with 2H mace/hammer or whatever... like ret paladin in WoW

the 2H ultimate (LoL reference lol) was a jump and smash aoe, that stunned everything, freakin awesome!

the normal abilities with it were also very cool... a whirlwhind type of attack, and a group smash stun... like Barbarian seismic slam in D3

very cool

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to Beef7

Premium Member

to Beef7
said by Beef7:

so a warrior with an axe, can do different things with it, than lets say a necro with an axe?

Correct

Beef7

Beef7 to Koil

to Koil
so a warrior with an axe, can do different things with it, than lets say a necro with an axe?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to Beef7

Premium Member

to Beef7
Your situation A is closest, but it works like this

(the letters are completely arbitrary)

(main hand) Axe : B1, B2, B3
(main hand) Dagger : C1, C2, C3
(main hand) Scepter : D1, D2, D3

(off hand) Dagger : C4 C5
(offhand) Focus: D4 D5
(offhand) Alt-Focus: E4 E5

Basically, your main hand weapon grants you 3 abilities, and your off hand gives you 2. You can swap and mix and match main and off hands to get the combo of the two you like best.

So, using my little example above. If I equip an axe in my main and a Alt-Focus in my off hand, my skill bar comes out to: B1, B2, B3, E4, E5.

Weapons are class specific, so what I get for my main and off hand attacks will be completely different than what any other class gets.

Hope that makes sense.

Beef7

Beef7 to I AM

to I AM
Is Guild Wars 2 a WoW killer? Probably not

Will I play Guild Wars 2 instead of MoP? YES

GW2 is F2P once you get it, which means, I can pop on and off whenever I want... I would pop onto WoW now and again if it was F2P, but since it isn't, I don't go on it at all. Not going to make a monthly fee commitment.

GW2 starting zone for humans was great, I was only able to play Friday nite, and some of saturday (irl too busy)... but in the human starting zone I was making it a point to complete all quests (hearts), to get all the zone teleport points (diamonds with blue centers), and to visit all points of interest.

Since you can level ANYWHERE, and since you scale to the zone, I didn't feel rushed to leave the zone to continue to level, I could 100% explore it and still feel like I was making leveling progress.

What GW2 needs to fix before release, I will post this in their beta feedback forums on their site as well:

- Smoother camera movement when holding down the left mouse button.
- Smoother toon rotation when turning (right now turning camera/toon results in accelerate/decelerate momentum feeling in turns)
- When zooming in and out with the middle mouse button, the zooming in and out should be gradual like WoW, not jump to close, or jump to far... let the users decide exactly what zoom they want, let it be smooth and gradual
- Dialogue cutscenes can be dumped all together imo... just let the npcs talk to you in normal view mode, less of an interuption to game immersion
- button 1 is auto attack for your weapon, at times when you press 1, then do other attacks, it seems you need to re-engage auto-attack for it to start working again

After the BWE, it seems that high pop servers will be the most desirable, since you will be able to join many events in progress all the time, which thus far seems to be GW2 bread and butter
Beef7

Beef7 to Koil

to Koil
@Koil,

If a warrior uses an AXE he gets abilities: A1, A2, A3, A4, A5

If a necro uses an AXE does he get abilites: B1, B2, B3, B4, B5? which is profession dependant?

or does the necro get abilities A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 as well?

only had a chance to play warrior this weekend. lots of fun

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to mazhurg

Premium Member

to mazhurg
axe...sorry, will edit. Thanks.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

Things got a little better once I figured out the ace / dagger combo

Ace?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

said by I AM:

New Key-Binding Feature

This is one of our most requested features. For those who want to customize their gameplay experience, were introducing a new, easy-to-use key-binding interface, which now allows you to bind modifier keys.

This is a joke, right? As in, this is some trollololol feature notes.

They're advertising this? Like it's a new concept or something that games for the last twenty-five years didn't have?

Well, while I agree it is a commonplace feature:

B) The new addition here was the modifiers, not the key binding, which has been in place. Along with the modifiers, the interface for changing your keybinds and modifiers was updated. Hater.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
So what classes did you all try out? I played a ranger first BWE and liked it a lot. I played a Champion this time and liked it less. Not that it was bad, but it's a strange hybrid/support class. Heavy armor, mele weapons, staffs, and heals. My starting weapon was a mace, my second was a 2 handed healing staff. Seems like it would take some getting used to. I got her up to around level 14.

One thing I noticed about the Norn starting area that I didn't notice in the Human area of the first BWE is that I was constantly 2-3 levels underlevelled for the content. I finished the starting area with 100% map completion at level 13. The events at that time are level 15, and when you move on to the next area level 16 and 17 mobs are out in the world. Made my champ feel kind of under powered. But still had a blast, this is my next big game for sure. Hope D3 and my backlog can keep me occupied till this comes out.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
said by I AM:

New Key-Binding Feature

This is one of our most requested features. For those who want to customize their gameplay experience, were introducing a new, easy-to-use key-binding interface, which now allows you to bind modifier keys.

This is a joke, right? As in, this is some trollololol feature notes.

They're advertising this? Like it's a new concept or something that games for the last twenty-five years didn't have?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 edit

Koil to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Thanks! I'd like to see them, and definitely wanna hear about WvW...I haven't got a chance to mess with it.

Posted some more here:
»Screens from GW2 BWE (VERY large images, be warned)

I kinda felt like I shoulda done more with the weekend, but I wanted the Necro to work, and I wasn't figuring it out, so I kept playing it until I got a handle on it.

I do think some mechanics on it are not working (skills that bring life back, or place debuffs on targets), but man it is tough going for the first 10 levels or so....really tough. Things got a little better once I figured out the axe / dagger combo for my weapons, with staff as secondary....but still died quite a bit. I think Necro still needs a bit of work and some tuning, and with a few of the bugs that I saw over the weekend, I'm thinking that more than likely, the game will be coming out around Christmas, unless they have a helluva patch in the works already, which is entirely possible.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Awesome Screenshots Koil. I'll post more later when I get time. WvWvW was confusing as ever!!!! I'm going to have to play it more or read up on it.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Meant to post these in my other thread, but they take forever to upload, so I'll leave them here. If they're too painful, I'll delete..just let me know.

(Look at them at full size to really get the full effect...really damn impressive)
Koil

1 edit

Koil to Grethor

Premium Member

to Grethor
Holy shit!!! The final event was badass!!

You could play the good guys, or when you died, choose a corrupted waypoint, and come back as the corrupted! I played corrupted most of the time...there was some drake flying overhead...shit was insane.

The corrupted looked like we outnumbered the good guys, and were pounding on Rytlock Brimstone, whom we were supposed to corrupt or something, but as soon as 3am hit....BAM..servers down! So fucked up....god it was fun.

I've taken a ton of high-res screenies...I'll prolly post in another thread so as not to bog this one down, but damn good time.

Sad its over....god I hope they release this game soon!

Grethor
Today Is A Good Day To Format
join:2004-04-14
Tacoma, WA

Grethor to Koil

to Koil
Just finished up my BWE. All I can say is WHOA!! fun game! I can't wait for the game to go live. I played a few professions but got the necromancer the highest (23). Tons of fun with my friends. We were blown away at both the fun and the beauty of the game world. It's like you are jumping into a painting and having it come to life.