Search similar:

uniqs

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to GW2Noob

to GW2Noob

Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Thread

Got my elementalist to lvl 5 last night. Loving the animations and skills so far. The plant people starting area is def more my style. The jungle looks awesome.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I got my guardian to 15. After a sizeable break I'm really starting to enjoy the class. Her abilities are just not intuitive to me but it's fun trying to figure them out. And I love the look of heavy armor.
TheBionic

TheBionic to GW2Noob

Premium Member

to GW2Noob
said by GW2Noob :

I m thinking about purchasing GW2 but wasnt sure if it wold be worth to buy it. I know its F2P, but does GW2 have like an outside store where they want you to spend real money for virtual items?

Yes. You can also get everything in the gem store without spending a dime by converting in game gold to gems (which you can also buy with real money).

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

said by GW2Noob :

I m thinking about purchasing GW2 but wasnt sure if it wold be worth to buy it. I know its F2P, but does GW2 have like an outside store where they want you to spend real money for virtual items?

Yes. You can also get everything in the gem store without spending a dime by converting in game gold to gems (which you can also buy with real money).

The answer is yes, but you never have to purchase anything in order to play the game. You will occasionally get loot in locked chests that require keys to open and you can buy those keys in the AH with real money, but you will also occasionally find those keys in the game world without spending anything. Most of the stuff available for purchase is novelty items, like party clothes and pets. Or extra bank slots. You don't have to worry about 'pay to win'.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to I AM

to I AM
Cross posting from reddit. Here's to hoping that your bugs get fixed!

Taken from: »forum-en.guildwars2.com/ ··· st674835

"According to Jon Peters in the mists a few hours ago:
The profession part of the upcoming patch notes is roughly 5 pages long.
~16 bullet points for rangers.
~30 bullet points for engis.
Mesmers saw the fewest number of changes.
“Tons” of bug fixes.
“Some” balance changes.
Portal is a cool ability that’s important to the game but has some problems (whatever that means from their perspective idk).
The ability to use custom dyes in pvp is possibly coming in a December patch.
Broken treb and lord announcements should be fixed soon.
Target of target and player cast bars are low priority but something they might look at in the future.
Probably no hope of ever letting us disable the terrible skill queue.
Custom rankings, obs mode, etc. all “on the way” (as usual)."

Edit: A comment below that said Jon was asked specifically about rangers and engineers, so hopefully there will be fixes/tunes for other classes as well.

No nerf no nerf buff buff buff!

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by puppy:

Cross posting from reddit. Here's to hoping that your bugs get fixed!

Taken from: »forum-en.guildwars2.com/ ··· st674835

"According to Jon Peters in the mists a few hours ago:
The profession part of the upcoming patch notes is roughly 5 pages long.
Mesmers saw the fewest number of changes.
“Tons” of bug fixes.
“Some” balance changes.
Portal is a cool ability that’s important to the game but has some problems (whatever that means from their perspective idk).
The ability to use custom dyes in pvp is possibly coming in a December patch.
Broken treb and lord announcements should be fixed soon.
Target of target and player cast bars are low priority but something they might look at in the future.
Probably no hope of ever letting us disable the terrible skill queue.
Custom rankings, obs mode, etc. all “on the way” (as usual)."

Edit: A comment below that said Jon was asked specifically about rangers and engineers, so hopefully there will be fixes/tunes for other classes as well.

No nerf no nerf buff buff buff!

I didn't see that in that thread, but here's hoping it is true.

Deo85
join:2012-10-19

Deo85 to I AM

to I AM
come one necro minions going to be fixed! *crosses fingers*

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
The combat mode I'm speaking of puts crosshairs, yes.

Mouse click one is attack, mouse click two is roll.

Zoom is fixed at max distance, your mouse move changes direction your toon faces and where crosshairs are aiming.

plays like tera, with W to move forward, S to move backward, and A and D to sidestep, turning left and right is done with mouse look

pretty awesome to me, u guess you need to have played tera to enjoy it... turns GW2 into an action mmo, which it basically is

no tab targeting at all, no auto select target attack, use your crosshairs to select target for single target special abilities

facepalm
join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to puppy

to puppy
Agreed buff, buff, baby.

Wow. Rangers were broken by admission, but I haven't heard similar for engineers. I just considered them more of a support class with cool toys. This could get very interesting.
facepalm

facepalm to footballdude

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

said by facepalm:

The Engineer is a way different thought process for me than the Ranger.

After unlocking the druid spirit talent, I had a few points left and went back to unlock the elixir gun. That thing is awesome. Does good damage while healing, buffing allies, removing conditions, and debuffing enemies. Using the elixir gun makes taking on elite mobs pathetically easy. It feels similar to playing a paladin in WoW.

I spent a lot of time with the elixir gun last night. That thing is awesome for kiting. I'm digging it and the the rifle. I haven't used the pistols in forever and grenades are only coming out underwater. I'm using the talent that drops a bomb when you dodge and laughing my ass off. Pretty cool profession. So many toys to play with.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Yeah I definitely didn't feel that my engineer was broken, I could easily hold my own 1v1 pvp and take on several level appropriate mobs, it will be interesting to see what they did.

Meeps

Meeps

Alright. So I have a level 26 Engineer now. It took me a while to get in to the game (mostly because I wasn't used to how the movement controls worked) but now I'm a big fan. :P

Mostly been using duel pistols because it seems to have more aoe than rifles do. Haven't really checked out the different gun types for it yet (elixer gun/flamethrower/bomb etc) but I'm quite keen to (does anyone have some advice on what to try? I'm very open to suggestions).

Haven't really tried offensive turrets that much, mostly been using Elixers for burst of op damage and a net turret to help with kiting. It's been working so far, but its starting to get a bit harder to live through mobs due to my glass cannon status.

Loads of fun though

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Meeps:

Alright. So I have a level 26 Engineer now. It took me a while to get in to the game (mostly because I wasn't used to how the movement controls worked) but now I'm a big fan. :P

Mostly been using duel pistols because it seems to have more aoe than rifles do. Haven't really checked out the different gun types for it yet (elixer gun/flamethrower/bomb etc) but I'm quite keen to (does anyone have some advice on what to try? I'm very open to suggestions).

Haven't really tried offensive turrets that much, mostly been using Elixers for burst of op damage and a net turret to help with kiting. It's been working so far, but its starting to get a bit harder to live through mobs due to my glass cannon status.

Loads of fun though

I used a dual pistol/flamethrower condition build all the way to 80, but now I'm trying out a rifle/turret dps spec. The engineer is tons of fun, check out this thread for some helpful tips on the engineer.

»GW2: Engineer Thread

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to Meeps

to Meeps
My engineer is level 54. I've mostly spec'd condition and started adding some toughness which is helping the glass cannon issue quite well. The flame thrower is my favorite weapon followed by the rifle and the elixir gun.

I've given up on pistols for now. I'm loving the supply drop skill and supplement that with other turrets. I can easily immobilize veteran mobs and burn them down plenty quick. Helluva fun profession.

Bombs are a lot of fun when there are large group fights. Be careful though, you will piss some mobs off.
Shatter13
join:2006-07-24
Waterford, MI

Shatter13 to I AM

to I AM
I will be shocked if Thief doesnt get a burst damage nerf of some sort

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

said by Shatter13:

I will be shocked if Thief doesnt get a burst damage nerf of some sort

I was thinking that as well....

Was going to start a thief.... but wanted to wait to see if there are changes.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Wish they'd hurry up and drop this....I need to make some critical decisions re: my Necro.

God, I hope there is a ton of changes for them.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Played all weekend on my guardian and had a blast. I didn't want to turn it off and go to bed last night. Got her up to level 26; I think getting her to 80 is my next game priority. I have been checking out the heavy armor sets and like them much more than the medium stuff. Going with a healing tank spec at first.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Koil

to Koil
Got the elementalist to 12.

All my staff skills are maxed. I am starting on maxing everything for double daggers. Thats prolly my solo spec for sure. It kills alot faster. Staff will be my choice when running with people. The fire spells own!

I got through two of the jumping puzzles in the plant starting area. The one in the secret lap (the disappearing platforms and lava) and I got owned at the end by the lazors and mobs. Any chance someone hasn't done this one? I can do the jumps but the mobs ownd me. Also the 2 part one I have died twice to the ranged chars between the 2 parts and its frustrating. I think that with 2 utilities and a bit more health I would be ok.

Im loving the elementalist but I am finding that ground is really lack luster. Fir air and water are good. Staff water is especially useful.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla

Earth (or ground if you prefer) seem to be for pvp escape's than anything super useful in pve.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
2 is useful for armor. The knockdown / earthquake combo is good while fire is cooling down.

Air is decent, esp if you swap while you have might up, use the 2 instants, then RTL and the knockdown, swap to earth knockdown again, earthquake, and then back to fire.

I rarely used water at all.

I used S/D pretty much 100%
Koil

Koil

Premium Member

From Facebook:

Guild Wars 2
MMORPG.com and Massively have in-depth previews of the upcoming November update. Take a look!

Massively: »massively.joystiq.com/20 ··· -primer/

MMORPG.com: »www.mmorpg.com/gamelist. ··· l/page/1 ~RB2

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy

omg someone please copy/paste!! XD

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

From Massively:

(None of the other screenies were all that spectactular)

Guild Wars 2's Lost Shores content primer

by Elisabeth Cardy on Nov 12th 2012 9:00AM
Fantasy, Galleries, Events, in-game, Game mechanics, Patches, Previews, PvP, Endgame, News items, PvE, Guild Wars 2, Dungeons

We're just days away from Guild Wars 2's next big content patch and special event. So far the Lost Shores have been shrouded in mystery. Will the shores ever be found? Who lost them? Exactly how absent-minded does one have to be to misplace an entire shore?

There are other, more pragmatic mysteries too. What is the content update all about? What can we expect? What sort of name do you give to a race of evil, bow-legged crustaceans? Happily, we're equipped to shed a little light on all those and more. Read on for our Lost Shores content primer!
Guild Wars 2: The Lost Shores

Timeline

Everything starts, as we've known for some time, on November 15th. While the Lost Shores event itself won't begin until Friday, Thursday will see the introduction of the patch and the beginning of the free friend referral period. The Lost Shores event kicks off on Friday at 3:00 p.m. EST, and the finale event begins on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. EST. The event and trial weekend will end Sunday evening.

Once the event is over, we'll still have access to oodles of stuff, like the new dungeon, zone, and PvP map.

Low-level characters and friends recruited for the free trial weekend will be able to take advantage of side-kicking to play level 80 content for the course of the weekend, since the whole goal is to allow them to see all the cool stuff. Side-kicking is not one of the things that will be lingering on after the weekend is over, so be sure to take advantage of it while you can.

The Lost Shores

The one-time Lost Shores event is the belle of the ball, despite all the other content coming in, so let's talk about that first.

The Lost Shores is all about the karka, a race of new-to-us foes from the depths of the sea. After being driven to their surface from their murky hives, the karka settled in Southsun Cove until the Consortium, a merchant outfit from Lion's Arch, got all up in their wheelhouse. Now it's up to players to resolve a grudge match between the karka and basically everyone else.

Aside from being a new type of foe, the karka also bring in new mechanics and skills. Part of the event will involve players racing around Tyria to try to figure out how to damage these baddies. You see, as they mature, karka develop a nigh-impenetrable outer shell, which players will have to get through to start doing meaningful damage. ArenaNet has put in some fancy new shaders to make the effects of damage more visible; as players chip away at the karka, they'll see bits and pieces of shell and armor falling off.

Temple of the Silent Storm

PvP players rejoiced to hear about a new sPvP map that'll be debuting in this patch. This map takes place on one of the Kodan's floating sanctuaries. Called the Temple of the Silent Storm, the location is the Kodan's place of meditation and training. This iceberg map will be "very vertical." Players moving through the rooms of the dojo will find buffs to meditate on and a powerfull boss; killing that boss will result in the killing team gaining ownership of all the capture points in the map.

Fractals of the Mists

ArenaNet's Colin Johanson briefly introduced the brand-new dungeon as one that gets more challenging the farther in you go. Conventional wisdom would suggest that that's nearly always the case, but Johanson left out a key detail: In the Fractals of the Mists dungeon, you can go indefinitely farther in.

The Fractals of the Mists is made up of nine mini-dungeons, each with its own story and environment. A party of five will enter the dungeon and be faced with a random set of three of these dungeons at a time. Upon completing those three, the party will be transported to a hub to rest, repair, and merch -- and the difficulty scale for the dungeon will be raised. Every time the difficulty scale is at an even number, players will face a special boss encounter.

With great challenges come great rewards. The patch will introduce ascended items. Ascended armors are "slightly more powerful than exotics" and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions. Infusions will allow you to increase your character's power. Guild Wars players are familiar with infusing armor, although I'll be my hat that the process doesn't involve creepy Seers this time 'round.
Koil

Koil to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
From MMORPG:

Guild Wars 2 Previews: A Peek into the November Update
ArenaNet is looking to add a considerable amount of content to Guild Wars 2 in the game's upcoming November update and we've got a sneak peek at what players can expect to find. Read on for details!
By Michael Bitton on November 12, 2012
Hot on the heels of the October update and the ‘Mad King’ Halloween event, Guild Wars 2 is set to expand again. We recently had a chance to chat with the folks over at ArenaNet about the upcoming November content update, including the fast approaching ‘Lost Shores’ weekend event, new PvP map, and new dungeon.
advertisement

Temple of the Silent Storm PvP Map

The ‘Temple of the Silent Storm’ is a new sPVP map coming to Guild Wars 2 with the November content update. The map takes place on and inside a massive iceberg, which features a large temple that serves as a place of meditation and training dojo for Guild Wars 2’s armored polar bear race, the Koden. ArenaNet is emphasizing a sense of verticality with this map and just like all of the Guild Wars 2 PvP maps, the ‘Temple of the Silent Storm’ will feature conquest gameplay with a twist.
The twist is in the series of buffs that will be strewn throughout the map. Players can meditate at certain areas to acquire buffs that confer bonus points for a variety of activities, ranging from killing other players to capturing objectives. However, the buff that is likely to be contested the most is one that will reset all the capture points throughout the map.

Lost Shores Weekend Event

The ‘Lost Shores’ weekend event will be a one-off event in Guild Wars 2 that will run between Friday, November 16 through Sunday, November 18. ArenaNet describes the theme of the event as being a “monster movie, invasion type thing” that will focus on the lore of Lion’s Arch. During the event, Lion’s Arch will be invaded by a new enemy group called the ‘Karka’. We’re told the Karka will be quite challenging for Guild Wars 2 players and will even feature a number of new mechanics for players to overcome in order to emphasize this. Visually, the Karka will feature a heavily armored shell of sorts that players will have to penetrate. ArenaNet has even worked on a new shader technology that allows players to actually see pieces of the armor fall off of the Karka as they wear it down.
That all comes later, though. Initially, players will be unable to penetrate the Karka’s armor and it’s this roadblock that will kick off a series of events taking players throughout the world as they learn about the Karka’s origins and research a means to get through theseemingly impenetrable armor. In the process, players will learn of the ‘Consortium’, a new faction of Lion’s Arch merchants that represent a sort of alternative to the Black Lion Trading Company that players are already familiar with.
Eventually, players will learn how to penetrate the Karka’s armor and this will bring players to the Karka’s home turf on a new island in the Sea of Sorrows called The Lost Shores. While the Karka don’t originally come from The Lost Shores, they have a significant presence on the island, having settled there for some time. The island itself will be a level 80 zone, but ArenaNet will have a system in place to sidekick lower leveled players up so they can take part in the event. However, it’s important to note that the Lost Shores island will remain as a level 80 zone once the weekend event is completed but players will no longer be sidekicked up after this point.
Of course, the Lost Shores will also be host to the standard fare stuff players can expect to find on any of Guild Wars 2’s explorable maps. Players will find myriad events, jumping puzzles, resource nodes, and more on the Lost Shores. ArenaNet also made note that some of the events on the island will take a different turn from some of the typical events in Guild Wars 2 by allowing players to make a permanent impact on the landscape.
Finally, the weekend event will culminate in a multi-part chain finale event that we’re told will take considerable time and effort for players to progress through. We weren’t able to learn more about the finale, as ArenaNet is keeping things under wraps for now, but suffice it to say that the team is pretty confident that players will enjoy the experience and especially the special reward that players will receive.

Fractals of the Mist Dungeon

The ‘Fractals of the Mist’ dungeon is a result of all the lessons ArenaNet has learned from developing the game’s initial dungeon offerings as well as the feedback they’ve received from players on dungeon content since launch. Players will enter the Fractals of the Mist dungeon via a central hub that will feature an assortment of amenities such as repair NPCs and other merchants. Once players have gathered their party members, they will be launched into one of the nine ‘fractals’ that will be randomly selected for each group.
Each fractal’s experience will be similar to that of the various mini-dungeons littered throughout the open world of Guild Wars 2. These fractals will feature a variety of challenges, puzzles, and boss fights, with an emphasis placed on use of the environment. Players can expect each fractal to take anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes to complete and the game will throw you through a series of three fractals, from one to the next, before returning you to town. Every other set of three fractals that players complete will initiate a special boss fight along the lines of Tequatl the Sunless or The Shatterer.
Once players return to town, future entries into the dungeon will scale to become harder than the last. The amount of enemies players will face will increase as will their health and damage, for example. Of course, you can also expect commensurate rewards for completing harder versions of the dungeon.
Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended' item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game. There will only be a couple of Ascended quality items available initially, but some of the rarer Ascended items will also feature a new Infusion slot that will make players even more powerful so that they can tackle new challenges that ArenaNet plans to throw at them as they continue to expand on the dungeon over the coming months and years.
Wrapping Up
The main takeaway from the November content update is that ArenaNet is looking to offer something for everyone. If you can’t get enough of PvP, you’ll have the new map and other inroads ArenaNet is making towards eSports, such as the introduction of paid tournament tickets. The traditional Guild Wars 2 PvE experience will expand with the Lost Shores content. And finally, those who just love a good dungeon romp will have the Fractals of the Mist to adventure through.

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

“monster movie, invasion type thing” Oh man. Remember the zombie epidemic in WoW. That was friggin epic. "Brains!"

And speaking of epic...

"Every other set of three fractals that players complete will initiate a special boss fight along the lines of Tequatl the Sunless or The Shatterer."

These are Dragons! Do we get another Dragon? One can only hope.
facepalm

facepalm to Koil

to Koil
"Initially, players will be unable to penetrate the Karka’s armor and it’s this roadblock that will kick off a series of events taking players throughout the world as they learn about the Karka’s origins and research a means to get through the seemingly impenetrable armor."

This sounds like the Halloween Book quest. I'm not a lore junkie, so hopefully there will be something cool for our troubles. I ran my lowbies through that chain, because the reward was just too good not to do it. It was a challenge, to say the least, for those guys. They had an aggro radius the size of Wisconsin. lol

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Schwing. Schwing Schwing. Schwing.

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy to I AM

to I AM
Seems like so much work for just 3 days of events! At least I can see the halloween stuff being reused next year.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
I have Mizzou basketball tickets for Friday night...now I don't wanna go.