Search similar:

uniqs

Abyl
@xo.net

Abyl to TheBionic

Anon

to TheBionic

Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Thread

I would like to start a melee toon now that I've finally hit 80 on the mesmer, I typically stick to casters so I readily admit I'm not that great in melee. I have read on the guardian and warrior and they seem like the same character to me.

Is there a difference? One that would make more sense to start with?

facepalm
join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to I AM

to I AM
I'm having no problem loot tagging multiple mobs on my Engineer using the flame thrower with a juggernaut build. With good positioning you can easily light 'em up and watch the damage tick away. Survivability is good as I have stacked vitality on my jewelry and weapons. Oddly my armor has no vitality (Mad King stuff) but instead has magic find. I'm farming mats now to build a power/condition/vitality set and I can't wait to see the improvement in survivability. This profession is very versatile.

I pulled out the Ranger this weekend and played him some. Ran a bit in Orr and did not like it on this toon. Mobs are packed too tight and I get in a ton of trouble kiting stuff around. lol. Evasion and healing seems limited for my play style. The bear tanks well, but I'm pulling stuff off way too easy. He does loot tag well in zergs with longbow and axes and may use him for that, but not for exploration.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Abyl

Premium Member

to Abyl
said by Abyl :

I would like to start a melee toon now that I've finally hit 80 on the mesmer, I typically stick to casters so I readily admit I'm not that great in melee. I have read on the guardian and warrior and they seem like the same character to me.

Is there a difference? One that would make more sense to start with?

While they both use heavy armor, the warrior is kind of the MMO archetype. Mine is only like level 12 so I can't comment too much on the intricacies of the class, but from what I've seen of the warrior it is more focused on dps with some group buffs with the banners.

The guardian is a hybrid class that takes some getting used to. They use a mix of mele and magic; they can use dual handed axes and hammers as well as staffs and scepters. A lot of certain weapon skills for the guardian involve healing/removing conditions/buffing the team. Of course your spec will depend on what you want to do and choose to invest in.

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to Abyl

to Abyl
Warrior dps looks impressive. They just wreck and roll. I love running with those guys. I'm not a melee guy either, but I've started a Guardian and will probably run a warrior eventually. So far the Guardian is too low a level to really have a good feel for it.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by facepalm:

Warrior dps looks impressive. They just wreck and roll. I love running with those guys. I'm not a melee guy either, but I've started a Guardian and will probably run a warrior eventually. So far the Guardian is too low a level to really have a good feel for it.

It took a while for me to really get into my guardian. I was not impressed with the lower level play. It does get better. I said in /g chat I was going to use the hammer until I liked it...happy to say that I've hit that threshold lol. I can wreck with that thing now.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

I'm going to keep played my Mesmer.

I wrote up a big post on how I leveled my mesmer in the mesmer thread, just for you

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to facepalm

to facepalm
Warrior melee playstyle is very meaty, I don't know how else to put it. But I love it, I have a hard time leveling other toons, because I just like his playstyle so much.

Running thru Orr and harvesting/farming/killing is just a lot of fun, and I don't get tired of the combat.

Shouts that heal also turns you into a healing machine for your entire group... something you wouldn't expect of the melee archetype class
TheThing

TheThing to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
Wow is like an old Girlfriend you have fond memories of. You think back to it with Rosey tinted glasses. There is the reality of things, and the way you remember things, they are not the same

I as well tried out WoW again, on full ULTRA, 1080p

The world felt cold, non interactive and dead... similar to the combat... and the graphics... yes were dated...

people don't like change, and many still play WoW just for that reason, and don't know what they are missing out on

TERA introduced us to a new feel for MMOs, but it wasn't quiet right yet

GW2 isn't perfect by any means, but it's taken another big step in the right direction for the future of mmos

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy to TheThing

to TheThing
How are you specing your warrior for Orr, Thing? I'm around 63 and the risen are very annoying to me, especially all the conditions they stack I'm already using the condition removal heal and shake it off, but still not enough.

TheThing

TheThing to puppy

to puppy
Max your 2 crafting to 400.

Get a full exotic set. For spec 1

Get a full exotic set. for spec 2 (at least in warrior you can run a full power set, or full bleed set)

Explore, do PvP, WvW(I know you don't like it)

then... make your gear look pretty. By either dungeons (transmute) or legendaries

FARM FOR GEMS... gold for gems

and upgrade account wide things like bank storage, or toon specific things like # of bags, these will carry over FOREVER.
TheThing

TheThing to puppy

to puppy
Warrior for ORR... going out to lunch... will answer when i get back
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
Going to have to look tonight puppy. I forget the names of things

the jist of my build can be found in the warrior thread I think

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy

Ok no worries, Ill check over there, thanks!

TheThing

TheThing

IMed you additional details that I don't want The Google to have

will IM to any other guild members

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

The Google is unworthy?

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy to I AM

to I AM
Most of you probably gone home by now, but anyways here's the patch notes (copied from reddit) for today:

1320ish files 68MB
Backgrounds on alot of stuff changed to a more winterdays theme it seems (TP, inventory etc). Example screenshot: »i.imgur.com/0pgL9.jpg
Will post patch notes when they become available: »forum-en.guildwars2.com/ ··· r-3-2012
General
Fixed a bug that would cause a crash when repairing armor while transformed.
Area of effect heals and boons now prioritize players over minions and NPCs.
Guild leaders are able to demote other players of the same rank.
Weapon skills will now properly display their PvP and PvE split variants in the Weapon Skills tab of the Hero Panel instead of displaying both.
Events
Fixed a bug that caused NPCs not to resurrect other NPCs in various Orr events.
Fixed a bug that caused Warmaster Jofast and her caravan to not advance properly through Cursed Shore.
Fixed a rare bug that could prevent the event “Protect the trained skelk gathering kindling for Raintimber Mill” in Diessa Plateau from progressing.
Fixed a bug that could potentially prevent progress with the event “Protect Orl’s research krewe” in Metrica Province.
Fixed a bug that could prevent progress with the event “Stop the Inquest operatives from kidnapping adventurers” in Sparkfly Fen.
Fixed a bug that could prevent progress with the event “Raid the Separatist camp with the Warhound Village veterans” in Iron Marches.
Fixed a bug that could prevent displaced spirits from rejoining their bodies in Iron Marches.
Fixed a bug that could prevent progress with the event “Protect the armory from the Flame Legion” in Plains of Ashford.
Fixed a bug that would prevent “Ireta the Smasher” from team switching correctly during the event “Prevent the brawl between the three legions.”
Fixed a bug that prevented Suwash from confronting Captain Jetsam in Lornar’s Pass in the event “Defeat Captain Jetsam.”
Fixed a bug that preventing events from running properly near Eldvin Monastery in Queensdale.
Fixed a bug causing skritt thieves to stop stealing harpy eggs in Harathi Hinterlands.
Fixed a bug that caused Crusader Soma to give up searching for the lost caravan in Timberline Falls.
Crucible of Eternity
Front door path: Fixed a bug that affected the aggro range of the Destroyer Specimen Boss.
Submarine path: Fixed a bug with Bjarl’s armor not going off when he charges and hits a tower.
Ascalonian Catacombs
Detha’s Path: Fixed a problem with Detha’s script where she would sometimes not start the event to fix the cannons.
Hodgin’s Path: Fixed a problem in Hodgin’s script at the “Collect scepter fragments” event that prevented the event from starting.
Detha’s path: Fixed a bug that caused the Ghostly Oozes not to use their basic attack properly, and spend a large amount of time loitering around players instead of attacking them.
Sorrow’s Embrace
Fixed multiple problematic doors would open and close when intended.
Twilight Arbor
Fixed a bug where Morrigu could die after defeating the final boss before the cinematic could start, which would break the dungeon and prevent players from receiving the final reward.
The Ruined City of Arah
*Seer Path: Fixed an exploit where rangers using longbows could trivialize a fight by attacking at max range, and the Melandru boss would not fight back.
Fractals of the Mists
Cliffside: Fixed an issue where players could damage the final seal with their normal attacks.
Cliffside: Fixed an issue where players were able to attack and kill the first boss before triggering the cinematic.
Personal Story
Minor personal story bugs in multiple personal story steps were fixed.
The story step “Forewarned is Forearmed” has been fixed to avoid an error that prevented completion.
The story step “Time for a Promotion” has been fixed to avoid a problem that caused it to stall.
The story step “Silent Warfare” has had the difficulty adjusted.
The story step “The Artist’s Workshop” has been fixed to allow players to rally when they defeat hypnotized performers.
Players who completed the sylvari “mirror” storyline are now recognized by the NPCs in the story step “Through the Looking Glass.”
World vs. World
Invisible & invulnerable players can no longer contest capture points in WvW. WvW capture points now follow the same rules as PvP capture points.
All players will now correctly receive WvW bonuses. Players who transfer worlds will still be locked out of bonuses for the current and subsequent match.
Structured PvP
Heart of the Mists: Added light, medium, and heavy PvP Underwater Mask items to the PvP Armorsmith.
Battle of Kyhlo: The hit box on the trebuchets has been decreased so that they are less vulnerable to certain AoE skills.
Legacy of the Foefire: The red guild lord and his guards have been repositioned to more closely match the blue side.
Forest of Niflhel: Fixed incorrect names on the archer NPCs that guard each base.
Removed slots in the PvP locker for the Rawhide armor pieces, as they are not obtainable as PvP rewards.
PvP locker now can store consumable finishers up to rank 6, glory boosters, PvP salvage kits, and tournament tickets.
Updated the NPC names of archers in Forest of Niflhel.
Items
Updated the names of the level 80 rare armorsmithing boxes to match the names of the items they contain.
Runes of Balthazar and Orrian now properly apply quickness when the player is struck and below 20% health.
Updated Knight’s Jewel so that it appropriately grants Power rather than Toughness.
Updated the ingredients required to craft satchels and boxes of armor to match the ingredients required to craft the individual pieces contained within.
Commerce
Fixed an issue with the Boxing Glove skills remaining when players swap to armor from town clothes.
Mini pets are now usable in the Heart of the Mists.
Fixed Krait Tonic second skill description.
Fixed missing nightmare medium icons and pants using gloves icons.
Total Makeover Kit and Self-Style Hair Kit added to the Black Lion Chest as rare rewards.
Increased chance to get Mini boosters and Dye Pack boosters from the Black Lion Chest.
Elementalist
Updated elementalist conjured weapons to appropriately apply attributes to all players that pick them up.
Dragon’s Tooth: This skill’s blast finisher now triggers at spell location, instead of character’s location.
Electrocute: This skill now has a maximum range and line of sight requirement.
Impale: Fixed an exploit with this skill’s interaction with Signet of Restoration.
Arcane Resurrection: This trait now applies five seconds of aura to allies affected by it.
Evasive Arcana: This trait now has a blast finisher while attuned to earth.
Elementalists will no longer get into a state where they aren’t attuned to any element. This commonly results in the player’s skillbar being empty.
Engineer
Toss Elixir C: This skill’s underwater cooldown is reduced from 60 seconds to 30 seconds to match the land recharge.
Elixir S: Fixed a bug that would cause this skill to go on normal recharge when Fast-Acting Elixirs is equipped. Smoke Bomb: Cleaned up skill facts.
Guardian
Ring of Warding: This skill will no longer affect non-attackable NPCs.
Mesmer
Updated the description for Blurred Frenzy to indicate that it gives evasion through “Blur,” instead of “Distortion”.
Phantasms will now properly have all boons applied to them via player traits.
Phantasmal Disenchanter can now be cast at the correct distance.
Ranger
Fixed a bug that allowed a ranger to have two traps of the same type active simultaneously.
Thief
Whirling Axe: This skill can now be cancelled by other skills.
Using a stolen bundle item should no longer destroy a bundle being wielded in their hands.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Just an FYI....I installed the Nvidia 310.64 Beta drivers, and GW2 runs even better for me now.

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy to I AM

to I AM
Blah, did they break jumping with the latest patch? Reddit posts saying jumping a lot less responsive, or can't jump while running or something...

I couldn't play last night cuz wife's cousin was in town to verify...

»www.reddit.com/r/Guildwa ··· nce_the/

Edit:

Seems like they hotfixed it back :P

»www.reddit.com/r/Guildwa ··· everted/

Seriously, this was not caught in testing? I'm a software developer, and if I made a change to jumping code, I would damn well press the space bar a few times...

TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
this game's theorycrafting is superior to WoW's

also, the buttons are simplified, but it doesn't mean it's simple at all!

you can have variety and complexity without 500 buttons!
TheThing

TheThing to puppy

to puppy
Regression testing!

should be scripted!

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Just an FYI....I installed the Nvidia 310.64 Beta drivers, and GW2 runs even better for me now.

^ I haven't been in any huge zergs to test group performance, but all indications are these drivers are the shiznit. Noticeable upgrade for me in terms of eye candy. I was running around just looking at stuff last night. lol

TheThing

TheThing

any upgrades for AMD HD 6870 drivers for game?

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to I AM

to I AM
After spending a couple of days in Orr, I freely offer that the undead (Risen) in GW2 will pown any undead I can remember in WoW. I did a couple of suicide runs through some large packs (there are no small ones in Orr) to reach some POIs and Waypoints. The outcomes were hilarious. Stuns, knockdowns, yank-backs, cripples, fears had me lit up and behaving like a cheap pinball machine. I hopped, rolled, ran, dove, flipped, you name it, in an attempt to survive. I even had one run past me like we were racing while I was speed boosted. lol

At one point I fell through a friggin crack in the earth only to find myself amongst another mass of Risen. And just what the hell is going on with these Risen Chickens? You kill them, they explode, and a Risen Grub comes out of their remains. Absolutely awesome!

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy

Yar I hate those Risen... the aggro range has to be adjusted and they seem to chain off each other, pulling massive #s if you piss one off. Extremely smart for undead mobs, smarter than living NPC mobs like pirates...

TheThing

TheThing to facepalm

to facepalm
I would be able to take on about 12 of them, but they freakin stunlock you like a red headed step child

the worst ones are the farmer risen with shovels, be prepared to be perma stunned

yarrrr

i would like to see more variety in the future... we have pirate risen and seashore karka!

how about some good old fashion lava demons!

western cursed shore has these GIANT nails that attack you from anywhere

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to facepalm

Premium Member

to facepalm
said by facepalm:

said by Ghastlyone:

^ I haven't been in any huge zergs to test group performance, but all indications are these drivers are the shiznit. Noticeable upgrade for me in terms of eye candy. I was running around just looking at stuff last night. lol

Yeah, my shit was running awesome last night after these drivers. So crisp and smooth.

I was doing that same thing also. Running around Divinity's Reach and just gazing at everything. That place is so badass inside.

Other companies producing any future MMO's, please take note... please use Divinity's Reach as a model for Home/Sancutary Cities. That's the way it should be done.

facepalm
Lumberton, TX

facepalm to I AM

to I AM
I finally got through the Malchor's Leap map. What a trip. Every node, poi, waypoint, and skill point was a challenge to get. Rewards were well worth it. Lots of good mats and I sold the map completion gear for 8g. I did get lucky on the gear. I also picked up a 9 ectos for the trouble. Headed to Cursed Shore now. I hope to join some event zergs so I can farm more mats.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

They seem to have increased the quality of the map completion gear. Or maybe I'm just unlucky

TheThing

2 edits

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
downloaded amd hd 6870 beta driver 12/2/2012... seems to have increased my performance with the game as well... higher fps in and out of zergs, the graphics in this game are just amazing... i can't believe I still love exploring/harvesting/events in the open world, I don't get sick of it

thinking back to open world in WoW, once you hit level cap it had no meaning...

the more I play the guardian, the more I love him, and I'm like wow his abilities/boons are awesome, he will be my main

then I switch back to my warrior, and I'm like wow I love him too

just gonna have to play both!
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
last night got in-game mail from Anet customer support.

Mind you, I never contacted them or anything.

They gave me a "Karka treasure chest", from the ancient karka event. Which included 20 slot karka box, 3 exotics, one of which was accessory that I immediatley equiped, and 2 rares.

I did participate in the Ancient Karka event, but not to completion, since the vent got hung up (we could make no further progress) not sure why... But after 60minutse of rezzing about 60+ people... and that's pretty much all I was doing, I gave up.

after selling the 2 exotics, and 2 rares, I almost made 10g

thanks for the freebies Anet!