Search similar:

uniqs

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to Jaided

to Jaided

Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Thread

thanks man...

a while ago (maybe 2 months) I commented on how a zone had trees where it was fall, and the leaves were falling off as you ran under them

the zone is IRON MARCHES... such a beautiful zone

Branded mobs in this game are so freakin awesome, branded humans, charr, scorpions

in the future I hope end game zones have mobs that are as awesome as those found in Blazeridge Steppes (where branded mobs are)

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

I liked most of the zones except...

end game zones like dire straits. Just so bleak and you can't take 2 steps without Risen jumping you, just no fun to move around at all.

There was some other zone I completed that was pretty bleak as well, I think it had a bunch of charr and industrial complexes.

TheThing

TheThing

yeah "bleak" is the perfect word to describe ORR... all washed out... i mean it fits the story line but... ehhh...

when I think of end game zones, I think of lava, vibrant colors and Branded mobs which are just so cool

i think/hope it's coming... they wouldn't want to crescendo too early!

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Jaided

Premium Member

to Jaided
said by Jaided:

Fine assessment of end game things to do. There really is a variety of things to continue on for every playstyle or interest. There is no "gear treadmill" that I saw somebody mention awhile back. If that's your deal, go back to WoW.

I've run most of the dungeons in the game, but really have no real urge to "grind" them as some of my guildies do. I found them to be well designed, attractive, and challenging. However, for me, I can't dedicate huge chunks of time to gaming like I used to so I'm more interested in exploration and achievements, puzzles, etc... But again, there is such a massive amount of content and paths to travel in this game, I just SMH at people that QQ about being bored.

Exactly. If your thing is farming or grinding for purple pixels non stop that are obsolete after 6 months, then GW2 isn't the game for you. Go play WoW.

I feel almost overwhelmed everytime I log into this game, I gotta decide what I want to go do.

I can almost gaurantee if I set out to complete every single jumping puzzle achievement, it would probably take me weeks to complete just that alone.
said by puppy:

I liked most of the zones except...

end game zones like dire straits. Just so bleak and you can't take 2 steps without Risen jumping you, just no fun to move around at all.

There was some other zone I completed that was pretty bleak as well, I think it had a bunch of charr and industrial complexes.

I can see why Anet overloaded Orr with hostile NPCs. They knew those zones would be overrun with level 80 characters farming events, gathering, etc. And they are.

I don't know though, I found those zones pretty awesome to look at personally.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
said by TheThing:

thanks man...

a while ago (maybe 2 months) I commented on how a zone had trees where it was fall, and the leaves were falling off as you ran under them

the zone is IRON MARCHES... such a beautiful zone

Branded mobs in this game are so freakin awesome, branded humans, charr, scorpions

in the future I hope end game zones have mobs that are as awesome as those found in Blazeridge Steppes (where branded mobs are)

My favorite zone still would have to be Caledon Forest. It's absolutely beautiful.

TheThing

TheThing to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
Yes ORR is very cool. and truthfully I never get bored of the zone, and it is amazing to look at, but at times yes its bleak

when I go through ORR I'm like a kid being lead down a candy trail...

ooh a candy (ori node), oooh a candy (omnom node), oooh a candy (event), oooh a candy (chest)... and I still just love the combat! everything is rewarding and relevant! what other mmo can say that about its open world?!?

risen mobs definitely put the breaks on mindlessly running harvesting routes (like in WoW)... if you want to gather, be prepared to fight! WoW you can run harvesting routes for hours and never do combat... I have adjusted to this mindset in ORR... you really have to change the way you think. Just remember, those Risen mobs often drop mats that can be worth 20s++

"overwhelmed" when log in... I feel the same way, the game is very OPEN with what you can do, and I don't think some people have wrapped their mind around it yet

this is similar to EVE, which I have also played, EVE is very open, and you aren't held by the hand to figure out what to do, which is why it makes it awesome

GW2 is advertised as a game of a "million adventures"... notice they didn't say quests... but "adventures", this is so true!
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
I would never push people away from GW2 and tell them to play WoW... I would tell them open your mind... change the way you think!

GW2 pushes the envelope... maybe it doesn't get there 100%, but its a huge step in the right direction

a game can be fun, entertaining and beautiful without a held by the hand gear grind!

look at the change in me alone... i went from PvP focused in WoW arena doing 2200+ in 3s... to mainly doing PvE in GW2.. who would have thunk?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

We need to schedule some Fractal dungeon clears.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
So are fractals rehashes of earlier level zones that have this new mechanic? Perhaps I have had too much WoW that I just don't understand. Is there anyone that can put this into WoW terms? I had to stop WoW again, just because I felt obligated to do certain things when playing, and then it felt like a chore. I loved the time I had in GW2, but the lack of order during my dungeon run (yes only did one, hopefully that wasn't indicative of them all) worried me about what I had to look forward to as the future of the game. I see the continued support from ANET and with the amount of time I spent in WoW, need something different and refreshing.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by stvnbrs:

So are fractals rehashes of earlier level zones that have this new mechanic? Perhaps I have had too much WoW that I just don't understand. Is there anyone that can put this into WoW terms? I had to stop WoW again, just because I felt obligated to do certain things when playing, and then it felt like a chore. I loved the time I had in GW2, but the lack of order during my dungeon run (yes only did one, hopefully that wasn't indicative of them all) worried me about what I had to look forward to as the future of the game. I see the continued support from ANET and with the amount of time I spent in WoW, need something different and refreshing.

Fractals are a whole new set of dungeons, nothing rehashed as far as I know. It's only been out for a couple weeks.

Maybe someone else can chime in on it.

You're not alone either Stvn about your first and only dungeon. My first dungeon in this game was a disaster also. I think everyone ran Ascalonian Catacombs as their first dungeon at level 30.

That's probably the worst dungeon to run your first time. It's tough as fuck to begin with, chaotic, and just downright brutal. Which is funny, being it's a only level 35 zone.

The most fun I've probably had so far in a dungeon, is in Sorrow's Embrace and Citadel of Flame.

CoF, think Blackrock Caverns, WoW style.

TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
Fractals is an endless dungeon that auto-scales all players to 80 if they choose to run it. It is located in the main city of the game Lion's Arch.

It is randomized in a similar sense to Diablo 2 dungeons. If you run it multiple times you will get different paths and different I bosses.

(Trying to piece it together the best I can from reddit posts not blocked by websense.)

ASCENDED GEAR has the same stats as LEGENDARY GEAR. BUT, legendary gear will always look the best. With special affects. This is in-line with the optional choice to grind for cool looking gear/skins at end game. Legendary gear could take you 1000 hours to get. Just to look pretty. It is optional.

My first experience with Dungeons was with BionicRod, and yes, it was AC and it felt like a cluster fuck. And I said to BR, fuck this im outta here.

Having run Citadel of Flame and Fractals since then at max level, they are much better feeling. And fractals has DEFINITE boss mechanics similar to WoW. which is very cool and fun!

I would recommend getting to 80 before running dungeons to make your life easier. Dungeons are mainly run for cosmetic upgrades/exploration. Each dungeon has its own skin as a reward to save for.

From my understanding there is currently only TWO pieces of Ascended gear available... via fractals. Over the next year or so the FULL 12 ASCENDED PIECES will be avialble to get via different means.

ASCENDED GEAR gives some but not much stat improvement over Exotics. And NOT having ascended gear does not prevent you from being competitive with those who do.

Ascended gear/infusions is basically required to get deeper into Fractals. The gear buys you very little else where in the game. It gives progression for those who crave it, but its progression for the sake of progression, and not really a requirement.
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
there's definitely no sleep walking in GW2 dungeons lol

i really want to do fractals and CoF (Citadel of flame) more

the skin CoF gives is just awesome!

I'll try to get a fractals group going tonite, as long as the wife isn't raging about some nonsense

need to do:
get guardian to 80
warr story chain
guardian story chain
CoF
Fractals

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Thanks for the info about these. It actually sounds pretty cool. I made a guardian last night and am pretty happy with the look. (I will often delete a toon within a couple levels because of an oversight in appearance and start over.) My Ele is at lvl 40, but I was having to kite so damn much just to kill anything, and the amount of squishy was more than I expected in AC. I am trying to get my brother into the game (he already has the client), and would take suggestions from you all as to recommendations for a class. He has played pally in WoW for a while, but he mostly wants to make sure he can handle most things. I thought guardian as well. Is anyone willing to provide a breakdown of the classes as they are now?

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
I'll try to get back here shortly. I'll be playing ranger probably so many melee'ers.

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy to stvnbrs

to stvnbrs
I've killed off so many alts because of name/look/movement/racial elite skill/someone sneezed/etc.

Make sure you like what you are going to spend hundreds of hours on!

I'd say a guardian is probably closest to a pally.

Warrior leveling is pretty easy mode as well until you get to the Risen, then you have to respec to handle the conditions they throw on you. Check out the warrior thread.

These two classes don't have to kite normal mobs while leveling, they just stand there and beat mobs down, pretty easy to start with.

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
said by TheThing:

there's definitely no sleep walking in GW2 dungeons lol

i really want to do fractals and CoF (Citadel of flame) more

the skin CoF gives is just awesome!

I'll try to get a fractals group going tonite, as long as the wife isn't raging about some nonsense

need to do:
get guardian to 80
warr story chain
guardian story chain
CoF
Fractals

I will most likely be on after 10 PM - if that's aroudn the time you're planning I'd like to get my foot into Fractals (have yet to do 'em).

TheThing

TheThing

Click for full size
sounds good Primo...

I know that may be late for some people, but after getting home, eating/making dinner with wife... holding her hand and looking into her eyes and listening to her nonsense, I will then be free to play!

here's a screen capture of the CoF set that I ultimately want! I know I am behind on dungeons, but, I can still dream!

the pic is low resolution, it actually looks better than that

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

I love your description of your time with your wife. I agree most of it is nonsense. The things we do because of love.

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy to TheThing

to TheThing
I got a full set of exotic armor for my mesmer using daily karma jars and karma boosters. You can get even more karma using other stuff like WvW bonuses or whatnot, but this is the more straightforward way for my puppy brain.

1 jar with booster = 4500 * 1.5 = 6750
each piece of temple of Orr armor = 42K, 6 pieces = 252K
252K / 6750 = 38 jars

If you do the monthly achievement it's 10 jars!

Looking at the CoF wiki page (I never ran it), it seems like you can get the rare armor (vs exotic) much more cheaply. Assuming they have the same skin, you can just transmute it over your temple of orr armor.

Just an option, might be faster if you can't run the CoF temples but can do dailies (dailies are easier for me cuz I can stop at any time)

Edit:

According to this, takes 450 tokens to get the full set of rare armor. You get 60 tokens the first time you run it each day, so I guess you can get the full set in 9 days!

»wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki ··· me_armor

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
I'd be more than happy to help you clear CoF paths whenever you need. I can use the tokens for Globs, hehe.

TheThing

TheThing to puppy

to puppy
Puppy - grats on the armor... wow that's great info! I'm pumped. I have 6 fine transmutation stones left! Ready to go! Going to have to start running CoF at least once a day. Glad to hear the Rare is cheaper than Exotic and has same apperance

Primo - can you buy globs directly with tokens? Or do you buy the gear then salvage it? since you already have a full CoF set?

from my understanding, dungeon drops have been buffed, I can't remember the names of the bags dropped, but these bags (dropped in the dungeons now, not in fractals) contain vials of karma... forget how much karma it is, maybe 200?

going to try to get in a CoF run before fractals run

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
The rare and exotic armor do not match. Exotic sets are the ones with the nice graphics. So you'll be needing quite a few tokens.

The globs are from salvaging the rare pieces. 3 explorable paths = 180 tokens = 6 rares to salvage (just buy the helm piece from vendor). Good to use a mystic or black lion salvage kit for this. Also make sure you run the explorable dungeons which are 70+ as the lower level dungeons give lower level rares resulting in 0 globs.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
I was on last night. No one else was on. No one else gets up at 3 a.m.?

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by I AM:

I was on last night. No one else was on. No one else gets up at 3 a.m.?

3 AM isn't last night. It's this morning.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Yeah............I'm kinda tired now.

TheThing

TheThing

lol
TheThing

TheThing to pr1mo

to pr1mo
thanks for the update man, yeah I saw that last night. bummed
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
FRACTALS PART 1:

So I ran fractals to level 3 yesterday. And now I have a little bit better understand of what's what and whose who now with this dungeon.

Fractals consists of NINE(9) mini dungones. Which from my understanding do not change when you run them, or change VERY little.

Each level of fractals consists of 3 randomly chosen mini dungeons out of the 9

At the end of every EVEN level of fractals, you get an extra mini dungeon which is just a HUGE boss.

HERE IS an example of fractals progression:

Level 1 Fractals:
Random mini dungeon 1,
Random mini dungeon 2,
Random mini dungeon 3

BREAK FOR REPAIRS

Level 2 Fractals:
Random mini dungeon 1,
Random mini dungeon 2,
Random mini dungeon 3,
HUGE BOSS mini dungeon

BREAK FOR REPAIRS

Level 3 Fractals:
Random mini dungeon 1,
Random mini dungeon 2,
Random mini dungeon 3

BREAK FOR REPAIRS

Level 4 Fractals:
Random mini dungeon 1,
Random mini dungeon 2,
Random mini dungeon 3,
HUGE BOSS mini dungeon

etc...

after a while you get to KNOW all of the 9 mini dungeons. The mini dungeons have about 2 bosses. The last boss of each mini dungeons ends with a chest.

At level 10 fractals bosses start to have agony. Which from my understanding is a constant slow loss of health. like a DOT.

At level 15 fractals bosses agony is so powerful, if you do not have Ascended Gear with infusions you will not move on.

Each piece of Ascended Gear has ONE infusion slot. Which can only be used for infusions. Infusions reduce the damage of AGONY.
TheThing

1 edit

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
FRACTALS PART 2:

The mini dungeons of fractals are BEAUTIFUL. I mean they are just awesome. Snow, blizzards, water, jumping areas, puzzles, boss mechanics.

THEY ARE EASY ONCE YOU KNOW THE MECHANICS OF THE BOSS FIGHTS AND MECHANICS OF GETTING THROUGH AREAS

Much easier than doing AC for example.

But they are intentionally easier because once you get to higher level fractals you have to fight many more mobs, and the bosses get more difficult with agony.

There is a learning curve to dungeon mechanics and boss mechanics, but once you learn them it is a lot of fun! and it isn't a cluster fuck like other dungeons.

THERE ARE FEW TO NON TANK AND SPANK BOSSES LIKE WOW. so get used to it.

They are really awesome and a must to try out IMO. Very cool content.

Higher level fractals drop more Fractal tokens to purchase gear. And trash mobs and bosses at level 10+ fractals have a chance to drop exotics, ascended gear and more loot.

Ascended gear can be obtained from running fractals, or via Mystic Forge recipes. BUT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!

Currently from my understanding only rings and back pieces are available in ascended gear. More pieces will be released in stages.

** Fractals do no have waypoints, they have checkpoints after completing areas/bosses.

** You can only repair between fractals levels

** The starting area of fractals has vendor to repair, purchase salvage items, or purchase items with fractal tokens.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

So we running some Fractals tonight? I totally want to check this place out.

If you've already run some of it Thing, if you join a new group say tonight, can you start back at level 1?