Search similar:

uniqs

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to pr1mo

to pr1mo

Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Thread

you are 100% right bud...

gear progression in this game is a fucking grind... and a time enforced grind at that.

no lucky getting quick gear like WoW

the summer is coming... enjoy the outdoors

my suggestion: spend 20 minutes a day get your daily in, get the laurel and log out!

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Hopefully arch age will be better and we can build houses together 3

TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
i spent about 5000 gems on black lion chests yesterday trying to get weapon skins...

got jack shit

talk about taking the wind out of my sails

still processing what type of commitment I will keep with this game

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Funny, because RNG to me has been so awful in this game, however, last night I bought only 10 keys (900 gems), and on the 6th key I got a fused claim ticket, and on key #9 I got a striped tiger backpack.

TheThing

TheThing

going to spend the rest of my gems on:

- maxing out bank slots
- buy a bunch of fine transmutation stones
- the rest on keys for wep skins

for every asshole like you with good RNG, soem asshole like me gets fucked over with bad RNG

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
No way sir! This is more like a "Hey Tom, sorry for the bad RNG since launch, here's a little thank you for being patient."

lol.

TheThing

TheThing

going to blow the rest of my gems tonight.

I'm holding you personally responsible if i get nothing!
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
I got 3 makeover kits last night... each cost 1400gems... but i dont fucking want them!

and i got every useless booster known to man now

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
said by pr1mo:

Getting pretty damn bored of this game.

Pretty sure I'm on the verge of quitting MMO's altogether. Ever since GW2 release I've felt something lacking in the way I would play. I no longer had an itch to stay logged in for hours upon hours.

I agree. I'm pretty sure it's just MMOs in general. I just don't give a fuck about them anymore and just overall don't want to play them. Everything is a damn grind and a half.

Short, fast, single player games are where it's at for me.
said by TheThing:

i spent about 5000 gems on black lion chests yesterday trying to get weapon skins...

got jack shit

talk about taking the wind out of my sails

still processing what type of commitment I will keep with this game

Same thing happened to me on the Christmas event. I spent a shit ton of gold buying all the crafting material trying to produce an endless tonic. Got jack shit.

After that, I pretty much haven't played much. I've never seen crappy RNG in a game on the level of what this game produces.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Do you guys think mmo's would be more fun if there wasn't any level caps?

TheThing

TheThing

GW2's level cap is trivial in completion and meaning

it's "basically" a game without a level cap

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
I have the same problems with MMOs too. I haven't played much since Christmas either. And I still love the game. I just have no desire to play it.

I think, personally, that playing anything for more than a couple of months now is going to get old to me. It was different when I was younger, but time is so limited now and I want to experience more than one game, so MMOs just don't fit for very long. Still thinking about signing up for the Elder Scrolls MMO beta though...old habits die hard I suppose.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
said by TheThing:

GW2's level cap is trivial in completion and meaning

it's "basically" a game without a level cap

Well in my opinion, the fact that you've spent all this time/money in game for shit, is really un-motivating. But what if you were level like 120, maybe one asshole at lvl 80 gets a legendary, but you're level 120 so he can't beat you even with that.

See what I mean? You are being rewarded for your time. Versus having shitty luck.

TheThing

TheThing

monchis - I don't quite understand what you're saying

if people are solely rewarded based on time played, then the unemployed and college kids will dominate because they have tons of free time vs. us working folk... i simply can't compete against guys who has played 2200+ hours of GW2 since luanch vs. my 600

in GW2

skins = rewarded for time played, more time played more advantage with skins... I simply can't compete

ascended gear = capped time requirement, most people can compete since dailies, fractals, and guild missions require very little actual time

same thing with current Fused tokens..

Fused tokens = more time = more gold = more gems from gold = more chances at skins

if you have tons of time GW2 rewwards it with skins

if you have limited time you can still compete for best in slot power items at least

BUT

epeen in this game is measured with skins AND ascended gear... since you can't inspect anyone

as a result, i have less time, my epeen will suck in this game
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
as a result of that analysis

WoW PvP was the best game for me... until I got sick of it

I had great ePeen. why?

with my limited playtime in WoW, I could obtain 2200+ in Arena, have the best and most powerful gear, and coolest lookign PvP gear

some punk with 3000 hours played will have worse gear than my 500 hours played because I was more skilled

skill DOES NOT = epeen in GW2... sad
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
and finally sPvP in GW2 might reward skil with gear...

but that sPvP gear is in a separate universe! WTF!

most of GW2 is in PvE not sPvP... so any epeen in sPvP is hidden for the most part!... and pretty pointless!
TheThing

4 edits

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
at a crossroads with GW2:

Pros:
- Great graphics
- Great combat
- Great/beautiful open world
- Free to play

Cons:
- Near meaningless end-game gear progression, with GRIND. end game gear progression is more about time grind than anything else. Gear at end-game doesn't really do much for you.
- PvE and sPvP are disjoint worlds, this is the BIGGEST issue for me

GW2 Going forward:
- At a minimum I will complete daily (usually takes me 20min tops)
- Fractals if I'm bored

I may transition to TERA. While GW2 may have better graphics, better play control, a cooler more beautiful open world. Tera does not have disjoint PvE and PvP worlds.

And from my understanding Tera's end-game gear progression is more traditional and meaningful.

If I have badass PvP gear in Tera, in the open world I will be powerful... this is something that does not occur in GW2. and I miss this from my WoW days.

any thoughts?

... but then again... outlaw mechanics in Tera are fucking wacked... and pretty stupid since there are no factions
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
WvW is pretty epic right now.

Culling is gone, you see like 120vs120 man battles, its pretty epic and amazing

additonally there are now WvW skins for wepsn/armor that are half way decent, and im sure there are more to come
TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
Click for full size
Click for full size
some WvW screenshots

had a group of about 120+ with 3 siege golems, at least

cut thru lake... all of us... got cut off by a group of about 150 enemies

they wiped us... unreal huge underwater battle, a first for me

madmike
join:2012-03-19
Waterfall, PA

madmike to TheThing

to TheThing
Those battles look fun, not sure if my old cpu could keep up.
Not sure what you mean by "culling".

TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
WvW is a ton of fun, the most fun it's ever been

WvW is the way I spend most of my time in game now

got skins for my warrior and guardian... i wish there were more, and weapon skins as well

culling is when there are too many players on screen at once and your computer doesnt show them, because of the server... now you can see everyone, huge difference, epic battles
TheThing

1 edit

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
I have recently fallen in love with GW2 all over again. And pretty much been just playing GW2 exclusively.

I've haven't liked a game this much since, WoW and LoL... LoL didn't last as long as either WoW or GW2.

Now that I am a man of liesure (recently unemployed) I've had a lot more time to play GW2 and try out things I never did before in the game, and really gain a better understanding of what the game is... and on top of it I'm not constantly tired from work.

WvW is just awesome... epic huge battles, no more invisible players, love it, i get lost playing WvW for hours at a time now, its great a perpetually PvP struggle with no Queues once you are in... awesome

Having 2 classes I love to play is unheard of for me. In WoW I could never find 2 classes I loved to play equally. (because of buffs and nerfs and class changes, I never liked 2 classes at once) My guardian and my warrior are so awesome in GW2... I love them both!

The combat mechanics in GW2 are best of any MMORPG I have EVER played. I dabbled in WoW here and there recently, and now WoW is just boring and old when it comes to combat. and feels so blah!

To me GW2 is now OFFICIALLY the best MMORPG ever made, it's not perfect by any means, but it's the best.

World completion has been a ton of fun, sitting at 99% waiting on WvW nodes to open up, the adventure has been fun, and experiencing things i missed before is just awesome! beautiful views, awesoem graphics, and little hints at whats to come next...

After exploring the world more thoroughly I'm pumped about the future of this game... ITS OBVIOUS that desert zones are coming, and ITS OBVIOUS that other playable races are coming, like the hawk race or whatever... as soon as they come out I will level one immediately to be my mesmer. They are epically bad ass looking.

love this game, its the best MMORPG out right now period

the only requirement for this game is to approach it with an open mind, and you have to learn to unlearn some habits from other mmos

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
Glad you're enjoying it. Me, on the other hand, will probably never be back in there. Finished with MMOs.

TheThing

TheThing

getting involved with an mmo is like getting involved with a new TV show... that has like 100 episodes... its a big commitment

with TV shows now ill watch one episode and get turned off by little things, because it doesn't warrant me watching 100 hours worth of it

with fractals im more casual now the time commitment to that was taking the fun out of the game

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
I'm playing GW2 right now too. A couple of things I am enjoying:

1) the community-- people on my server are actually helpful. They are polite and say thanks when you help them with something, general chat (yell) is usually full of announcements of new spawns rather than filthy brat speak, and even when I have done PVP as an up leveled toon people tend to give me advice rather than give me shit about joining their BG as an up leaved toon.

2) ability to step away-- I've never had an MMO where I didn't mind frequently taking a break. When I step away I'm not jonesing to get back ASAP. Usually when that happens with a game I either quickly burn out on the game or never get the desire to relog.

3) no rush to level-- I can't put my finger on what they did to achieve this, but this is the first MMO I have played where I don't have this feeling that everything is an obstacle to overcome so I can level ASAP. Leveling is extremely slow, but I don't really give a shit. I run around doing little spawn events, or random quest-like tasks, or zone into PVP for a while and often don't even notice that I have leveled. I'm enjoying the lack of pressure and the ability to just "see the world".

I'm only level 13 (a female human ranger), so I am sure my opinion will change on some aspects of the game the longer I play it. But I haven't enjoyed playing another MMO this much since early WoW. (I tried Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings, Aion, SWTOR, Rift, and WoW.)

My toon is poor, wearing shitty gear, has no professions, and dies a lot both in PVE and PVP. Yet I am smiling every moment I play. What more can I ask for out of a game?!

TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
these dudes guard the entry way to a zone you currently can't get to in GW2, near Caledon Forest, I think they are the next race to be released... pretty cool looking
Dalionath
join:2013-03-06
Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB

Dalionath to I AM

to I AM
wow the graphics are amazing! , im buying gw tonight when i get home!

TheThing

TheThing

Click for full size
i love it, hope you will too!

here is another screen capture in fields of ruin, this gate you cannot pass, and goes to the desert... another zone to come in this game!
Dalionath
join:2013-03-06
Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB

Dalionath to I AM

to I AM
what server do you guys play in? so i can join you in

TheThing

TheThing

server: Jade Quarry

my name is: Hiltzar