Search similar:

uniqs
Vinceruos
join:2011-05-04
Dumfries, VA

Vinceruos to I AM

to I AM

Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Thread

So I finally bought GW2 just to try it out. I made a warrior and literraly facerolled to lvl 10. Literally faceroll. Is this what the combat in this game is like? You just spam 5 skills and auto attact to win? Please tell me this isnt true.... Also why cant I attack any other players? WTH. What is the point of gearing up and lvling up if you cant do anything with your gear? So far this game is horrible.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Vinceruos:

So I finally bought GW2 just to try it out. I made a warrior and literraly facerolled to lvl 10. Literally faceroll. Is this what the combat in this game is like? You just spam 5 skills and auto attact to win? Please tell me this isnt true.... Also why cant I attack any other players? WTH. What is the point of gearing up and lvling up if you cant do anything with your gear? So far this game is horrible.

You can PvP in WvW or structured PvP to your hearts content.

In WvW you can not only enjoy killing other players, but help your world. See WvW stats for your server, there is always a WvW event.

As to facerolling to 10 ... well heck yeah, most games start out easy and get tougher with higher level. Eventually you'll get to Orr, and enjoy yourself immensely.

This isn't WoW, don't play it as such, or you will self disappoint. There are no arbitrary player factions on your server. All are friendly. WvW or explicit PvP is where you go to kill other players.

Exploration, farming, and crafting are as important as fighting and leveling. Eventually you may need to create equipment, if you haven't taken to farming as you go, the cost will be high.

Good luck.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

Warrior is the easiest class to level I think, especially pre-40. Heavy armor, hits hard, good weapon skills. Especially if you go the signet build (use all signets and that skill that gives you 40 crit per unused signet) you just mow mobs down.

You might enjoy some of the other classes more. I personally liked the mesmer when I played GW2, because you have to be a lot more active and dodge/use clones/etc, not just stand there and mow mobs down. Elementalists also is a lot more active, you have to chain a lot of skills together to be effective. Some people think that's great fun.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer to Vinceruos

Premium Member

to Vinceruos
said by Vinceruos:

What other games have you played mmo-wise.... GW2 seems not to different than most others.

In fact I like how GW2 allows you to use many different weapons per class and the weapon choice effects the skills that are possible to use.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

Vinceruous is (or was) WOW's #1 fan.
Vinceruos
Dumfries, VA

Vinceruos to I AM

to I AM
There just seems to be no skill involved at all in this game. I get that its supposed to be easy at low levels, but I can literally close my eyes and run around hitting 1 with a longbow equiped and easily kill the entire zone. Am I missing something?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
You guys are being trolled by Vincerous.
Vinceruos
Dumfries, VA

Vinceruos

So once I hit max level what is the first raid that you first run?
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
I think another mistake some players (particularly previous WoW players) is to assume heavy armor wearers are tanks, that cloth means only glass dps glass cannons.

I enjoy some of the complexity of the various classes, and sure my Guardian is fun, but I had a blast with my necromancer, and recently started a mesmer and it is far more enjoyable than I imagined.

In WoW things like dodging are static, and ilvl is king. Doesn't work too well when your boons are stolen, and someone else puts their damaging effects on you.

If he's just running an area or two as a warrior / tank with only one weapon (let me guess, broadsword or sword and shield?) he is playing GW2 ala WoW.

Eventually he may rethink his approach. After 10 levels, I don't think he has any traits. His skills are also limited to one or two iirc. Thus he's a bit obsessed with the weapon skills.

He made no discussion of personal story, or any event. Which is sort of sad, there is much going on. He may not be seeing it all.
pandora

pandora to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

You guys are being trolled by Vincerous.

You are probably correct.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to pandora

MVM

to pandora
said by pandora:

I think another mistake some players (particularly previous WoW players) is to assume heavy armor wearers are tanks, that cloth means only glass dps glass cannons.

I enjoy some of the complexity of the various classes, and sure my Guardian is fun, but I had a blast with my necromancer, and recently started a mesmer and it is far more enjoyable than I imagined.

In WoW things like dodging are static, and ilvl is king. Doesn't work too well when your boons are stolen, and someone else puts their damaging effects on you.

If he's just running an area or two as a warrior / tank with only one weapon (let me guess, broadsword or sword and shield?) he is playing GW2 ala WoW.

Eventually he may rethink his approach. After 10 levels, I don't think he has any traits. His skills are also limited to one or two iirc. Thus he's a bit obsessed with the weapon skills.

He made no discussion of personal story, or any event. Which is sort of sad, there is much going on. He may not be seeing it all.

This does sound very interesting. I will be playing this game over the weekend for sure, and hopefully starting up tomorrow night. I would love to play sooner, but I have a lot going on at work today.

I will say I am guilty of the same assumptions. Sounds like I had better take those assumptions and throw them out the window.

One thing I do like doing is I love healing. If everyone has their own heals, I am assuming that players who throw out healing or support classes are not needed? So for instance, if I take skills or abilities that allow me to heal others, is that worthwhile to do so?

facepalm
join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

Look into the Guardian class. Nice self heals and several means to support groups and surrounding characters in WvW and the World Events. I've maxed out 4 toons and I love the Guardian the most. There are several nice guides out there on the class.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

This does sound very interesting. I will be playing this game over the weekend for sure, and hopefully starting up tomorrow night. I would love to play sooner, but I have a lot going on at work today.

I will say I am guilty of the same assumptions. Sounds like I had better take those assumptions and throw them out the window.

One thing I do like doing is I love healing. If everyone has their own heals, I am assuming that players who throw out healing or support classes are not needed? So for instance, if I take skills or abilities that allow me to heal others, is that worthwhile to do so?

I was guilty of playing GW2 as WoW for a day or two. It costs a silver to start your own guild, and it usually isn't hard to get a guild invite. You can join many guilds, but can be active in only one at a time (you decide which guild you will represent).

For professions, it is best to learn the mechanic of discovery. Also to learn the mystic forge. Pick a story you would like to play, and give it a try. The story goes through 80, and a bit after, as at 80 there are a few parts left unfinished.

At 80, you'll still have an XP bar, you keep rolling 80 over and over. This allows you to get XP and at each level, you get another skill. It can also count toward the daily leveler achievement.

Achievements, farming, and crafting are more important than in WoW as is exploration.

ANY class can heal, ANY class (well most any, I'm not that good a dodger) can tank. Roles aren't fixed.

The five skills to the left (weapon skills) are great for the first 40 levels, after that, you'll want to discover the other skills to the right.

Each class can do interesting things.

I think you get 10 guild XP for just logging on ever day. Achievements eventually give you account rewards of slightly more XP or magic find and what not. Achievements are useful.

It isn't a rise to 80 and grind game. It's an explore everything, farm, enjoy WvW PvP and relax when you are tired game.

You are allowed to be idle longer than in WoW. As a necromancer, my pets were killing stuff when I was AFK for an unexpectedly long 20 minutes. By the time I got back, I was leveled.

You can deposit all raw materials for crafts from your bag while away from the bank or crafting table. You can also sell anything from you bag while away from the city. You collect your gold later, when visiting an auction house merchant.

The auction house isn't the same as WoW, and for the most part is faster.

No mounts, because anywhere in the world you have been to, you can teleport to in seconds. Most waypoints are within 2 to 3 minutes of each other. This means on an explored map, you won't be further than a minute or two from any destination.

Read the map for spawns of champions, there is also a web page that provides approximate times for various events. For me, I go here - »guildwarstemple.com/drag ··· ngKey=en

You join a group by doing damage to a target. Once you do damage, when the target dies, you get a reward, and your own unique damage roll. You get experience appropriate to your level (plus any xp buffs you may have).

You get XP for reviving players. Reviving players also goes toward the achievement of hero IIRC. Thus to get that title, you need to res a bunch of players.

Overall, it's sort of nice. The game encourages co-operation within a server, and even in WvW (world vs world) you are still helping players from your world fight players from another.

There are no racial bonuses, no mounts, but there are some pets.

Vincerus
@dfas.mil

Vincerus

Anon

Yea this game is pretty bad. Not sure what exactly the point is... I guess just a time waster like plants vs zombies or something.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Vincerus :

Yea this game is pretty bad. Not sure what exactly the point is... I guess just a time waster like plants vs zombies or something.

It rules vs WoW. Sorry.

Vincerus
@dfas.mil

Vincerus

Anon

Thats probably the most retarded statement ever and also something that over 7 milion people disagree with...

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Vincerus :

Thats probably the most retarded statement ever and also something that over 7 milion people (decreasing daily) disagree with...

ftfy

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to pandora

MVM

to pandora
pandora,

Thanks for the synopsis. I can't wait to play this game tonight. I figure if I put 20 hours into this game it will be worth the price I paid. We shall see! It definitely sounds fun.

Vincerus
@dfas.mil

Vincerus to Ghastlyone

Anon

to Ghastlyone
Ghastyone, can I join your guild? We can go questing together and exploring and stuff.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
after a year in Tera, I finally got a GW2 Deluxe for $42 during Sunday's sale. I was going to try a Sorceress class in Tera, but didn't want to go through the gear grind all over again, so I'm playing a Human female Elementalist in GW2 on the SoR NA server with my old SiN guild. with a years worth of web sights and youtubes out there, I'm sure I'll find lots of good info, and there are Guild mates on Vent I can always question - so I just wanted to give DSLR gamers a heads up that I have finally succumbed to yet another MMORPG timesink

Jaided
join:2009-11-13
Mount Laurel, NJ

Jaided

Hey Packeteers, Grats on the purchase. I played GW2 since it launched. Took the last 4 months off, just started back up for the Halloween and Holiday events. To me, this "timesink" is well worth it. Plenty to do, and even after taking time away from the game I'm finding a ton of new content and changes upon my return that will keep me busy for awhile. Hope you enjoy your time playing it!

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

thanks for the welcome mat I also took most of the Summer off from Tera. when I came back they did add a lot of endgame content, but that just means all my old gear and old instance knowledge is worthless, and i have learn new instances and gear up further to master those instead. So it's nice to know GW2 will also be a good game to come back to after next Summer's inevitable break from PC gaming.

I didn't mind the gear/craft grind as much in my years playing Lineage2 because everything was tradeable (no character bind on or account only items), but in RNG dependent Tera where everything you use sticks to you like glue or has a use time limit, I just can't see doing it all over again. I know GW2 is not a gear or achievement grind - as long as you don't covet the very best and rarest of items... I'm perfectly OK with that

Jaided
Mount Laurel, NJ

Jaided to I AM

to I AM
Hey Anybody....I'm stuck at work behind a firewall and can't get to any gaming related info. Can anybody post the patch notes for yesterdays patch, 11/26? I know they revamped Fractals, but I'm hoping to read more about the other tweaks. Thanks!

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers

Premium Member

copy & paste of gw2 websight update notes: »pastebin.ca/2483389

Jaided
Mount Laurel, NJ

Jaided

Thanks!!