Search similar:

uniqs

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

AirPort and WPA?

I got my little iMac G4 working (»Installing Leopard on an iMac G4?) and the biggest thing missing from it is wireless. Looks like it only takes the older AirPort (no extreme) 802.11b wireless card, which I found for $6 on eBay: »www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-A ··· 19wt_936

For $6 with free shipping I was almost tempted to just get it. My only hesitation is, does this old AirPort support WPA encryption? I refuse to use WEP. Apple's documentation suggests that it will do WPA with all software updates applied. I was hoping someone out there has first hand experience before I spend $6.
rmmoody
join:2001-02-15
Leawood, KS

rmmoody

No, 802.11b does not allow for WPA. Sorry.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by rmmoody:

No, 802.11b does not allow for WPA. Sorry.

I'm hearing otherwise: »wifinetnews.com/archives ··· ear.html

But would like to hear from any current/former AirPort owners.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Ctrl Alt Del

MVM,

to Ctrl Alt Del
I believe there were two versions of the original airport card. One would only work with 40-bit WEP keys and another worked with 104-bit WEP keys.

I know, definitely, the 104-bit version will work with WPA on >10.3. I'm not so sure about the 40-bit version:

»discussions.apple.com/th ··· tstart=0

There's some back and forth, but I believe the general consensus is that if you apply the Airport Card updates correctly, it will update the firmware on either original card to support WPA.

If you go by the picture on the eBay auction (although it almost definitely isn't a picture of the actual card), it's the 40-bit WEP version.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
Although a first party solution is nice, you may be able to find a USB to Wifi adapter that supports 802.11g or even .11n for $25 or less.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

The problem with a third party USB WiFi card is:
- Takes one of the three available USB ports.
- Requires the use of their software and driver. I'd rather not use their (most likely) shitty software and use Apple's menu bar tool.

Unless you know of a USB WiFi card that requires no extra software. I'd buy that.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

I am too lazy to do my research, but any card that uses the same chipset as an internal Airport card does should automatically hook into the OS. Is Apple still using broadcom chipsets?

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

lunarPlexus to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
I believe we have a forum member who has some experience installing an airport extreme card into a regular airport slot.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

said by lunarPlexus:

I believe we have a forum member who has some experience installing an airport extreme card into a regular airport slot.

You knew it was coming, folks!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

said by The Dv8or:

said by lunarPlexus:

You knew it was coming, folks!

Just push harder!

Sebehk
USN Retired, 1993-2013, yvan eht nioj
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sebehk

Premium Member

Oh gawd...LOL. I 'memmer.

You guys are nuts.

--->Robert