join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

neighbor couldn't mow / cut grass straight

Click for full size
couldn't cut straight along fence line
Click for full size
even scraped a part of my grass.
I have a chinese neighbor who cuts their grass using a ride on mower....so he cut their grass over the weekend....

I've been cutting my grass to about 2 to 2.5 inches and make sure I do it right...cut along fence line, edge etc...

This neighbor on the other hand, cuts his grass like 1 to 1.5 inch, does not follow fence line, scrapes my grass, SOMETIMES edges, sometimes does not...

We do acknowledge each other when we see them but we rarely talk since they have difficulty speaking straight english. Only one can converse properly and she works at their small restaurant nearby..

Next door neighbor to their left, even taught them to edge since the first year they moved, they cut their grass only when they see weeds higher than the grass and edged like once in a blue moon...

oh well....

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Show them the difference in grass quality due to the fact that they cut too short.

Maybe the chinese guy will set his mower to the same height as yours.

Is it their first house? They need tips
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

I've been wanting to....though the wife is not letting me...

I'm really itching...

well, I consider myself a little lucky since down the street, a cop's neighbor has more issues than that...he cuts his grass like once in 2 months?, weeds like plague and grass creeping into the sidewalk...

cop and next door neighbor has well maintained grass....

it's always the middle neighbors who has issues...

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by medbuyer:

She's afraid of making bad neighbors.
The trick is to get the conversation going in context.

When he's mowing his lawn, take the opportunity to take out gardening stuff for whatever (like to fertilize your lawn, water your bushes, whatever).

Then go to him saying you're worried he'll have to spend money on lawn treatment because his lawn looks dried out.

Maybe he is even secretly hoping you'll come around to give him tips because he knows he's doing something wrong but he doesn't want to appear clueless (It's not always obvious for the newbies).

I know because I'm clueless about my flower beds and my bushes. I'm secretly hoping my neighbors start giving me tips on how to maintain my flower beds and bushes. Theirs look great.

gillespie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
USA

gillespie to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

I'm really itching...

You can do it in a nice way, maybe with his wife there since she speaks better english.

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
Print the picture on a piece of paper with "Please mow along the lot line, do not mow onto my yard, thank you"

And walk over with it. If he can't understand you, maybe he can read better, and if you point to that scalping and then make the "no" sign with your hands/head, he'll get it.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by alkizmo:

Then go to him saying you're worried he'll have to spend money on lawn treatment because his lawn looks dried out.

I've been spending money already since I have my lawn fertilized and all by a company. I just cut the grass....
said by gillespie:

You can do it in a nice way, maybe with his wife there since she speaks better english.

maybe I can do it the next time I order some chinese take out?
said by bemis:

Print the picture on a piece of paper with "Please mow along the lot line, do not mow onto my yard, thank you"

And walk over with it. If he can't understand you, maybe he can read better, and if you point to that scalping and then make the "no" sign with your hands/head, he'll get it.

or maybe get another chinese neighbor of ours to talk to them or translate it for them? this other chinese neighbor is more careful than the one beside me...

gillespie
Premium Member
USA

gillespie

Premium Member

Sure, why not? I'll have a #5 and two eggrolls and oh, by the way, about your grass. Who knows, it could work..

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
Wow, are you serious? Why don't you build a 20' high electrified, barbed wire fence around your entire property? I'm sure you already have a surveillance system so you might as well purchase a motion activated, laser guided surface to air missile system in case one their children manages to kick a ball over the fence.

OR

You can go introduce yourself and start a friendly neighbor relationship before turn your home into a prison.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by dolphins:

Wow, are you serious? Why don't you build a 20' high electrified, barbed wire fence around your entire property? I'm sure you already have a surveillance system so you might as well purchase a motion activated, laser guided surface to air missile system in case one their children manages to kick a ball over the fence.

OR

You can go introduce yourself and start a friendly neighbor relationship before turn your home into a prison.

I know almost everybody here in our neighborhood since we do annual community stuff like bbq's etc....

I've been thinking on how to approach them since I've been itching to...I just need to think carefully...without offending them or my wife..

and no, I don't have a surveillance system nor feel the need to put up barbed wire since this is a very quiet neighborhood where police and code enforcement do their jobs.

your comment really doesn't help...

gillespie
Premium Member
USA

3 recommendations

gillespie to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
No disrespect intended, but this isn't rocket science. Just go over and talk to him like a normal human being. You don't have to be a condescending asshole, just treat him like you want to be treated. Nothing more nothing less.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc

Premium Member

said by gillespie:

No disrespect intended, but this isn't rocket science. Just go over and talk to him like a normal human being. You don't have to be a condescending asshole, just treat him like you want to be treated. Nothing more nothing less.

This.

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN

bolt to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
Maybe he's mowing it short so that it will brown over and he won't have to mow so much this summer. My MIL does this. Doesn't seem to hurt the hardiness of the grass.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to DataDoc

to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

said by gillespie:

This.

I know.....just looking for the right timing and thoughts....maybe this weekend when I cut my own grass....

I just feel frustrated after taking care of my grass, here he comes cutting his aimlessly...I wasn't going to be a condescending asshole neighbor....that's not me...
medbuyer

medbuyer to bolt

to bolt
said by bolt:

Maybe he's mowing it short so that it will brown over and he won't have to mow so much this summer. My MIL does this. Doesn't seem to hurt the hardiness of the grass.

he's got the shortest grass in our community and never goes green....he doesn't weed, rarely fertilizes...

I think they're still learning how to use that ride on mower...they used to have crappy push mower..

gillespie
Premium Member
USA

gillespie to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to you being condescending, that's not what I meant. Things will work out in the end.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by gillespie:

I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to you being condescending, that's not what I meant. Things will work out in the end.

yeah, I gotcha...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

I know.....just looking for the right timing and thoughts....maybe this weekend when I cut my own grass....

I just feel frustrated after taking care of my grass, here he comes cutting his aimlessly...I wasn't going to be a condescending asshole neighbor....that's not me...

Really? Just go over and talk to him "man to man" and let him know not to overlap into your lawn when he's cutting. It's a simple solution.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Jack_in_VA:

Really? Just go over and talk to him "man to man" and let him know not to overlap into your lawn when he's cutting. It's a simple solution.

yeah, I really need to since he's done this twice already...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

said by Jack_in_VA:

yeah, I really need to since he's done this twice already...

Yes
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

zach3 to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
How new to this country is your neighbor???

He may have bought a riding mower but that doesn't mean that he even has a clue how to operate it.

Possibly you could offer to show him how to change the settings???

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
BTW... be sure to also ask if he's Chinese or Japanese. Don't worry if he says he's Laotian, that's just how they pronounce the word "Ocean"
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to zach3

to zach3
said by zach3:

How new to this country is your neighbor???

He may have bought a riding mower but that doesn't mean that he even has a clue how to operate it.

Possibly you could offer to show him how to change the settings???

I don't know how new are they...I remember them telling me before that they lived in MS before...

he can cut his grass, he knows how to run / drive it, it's the directions in driving that I think he's having issues with. i'll just talk to him this weekend and be done with it.
medbuyer

medbuyer to bemis

to bemis
said by bemis:

BTW... be sure to also ask if he's Chinese or Japanese. Don't worry if he says he's Laotian, that's just how they pronounce the word "Ocean"

they're definitely Chinese, another chinese neighbor confirmed this....

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

said by dolphins:

OR

I know almost everybody here in our neighborhood since we do annual community stuff like bbq's etc....

I've been thinking on how to approach them since I've been itching to...I just need to think carefully...without offending them or my wife..

and no, I don't have a surveillance system nor feel the need to put up barbed wire since this is a very quiet neighborhood where police and code enforcement do their jobs.

your comment really doesn't help...

Yes, your right. I should not have let this offend me and I apologize. With all that is going on in this world I sometimes let emotion control my thoughts. My point is that it should not need a second thought, it should be an automatic response to be neighborly. Don't worry about the grass, it's trivial. Once you become friends and break down the cultural barriers you be able to talk to them without offending.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

3 recommendations

dogma to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
Print out. Hand to neighbor. Use as guide in a friendly conversation.

Aaahh, my work here is done.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by dogma:

Print out. Hand to neighbor. Use as guide in a friendly conversation.

Aaahh, my work here is done.

exactly what does it say?

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

1 recommendation

dogma

Premium Member

If you would be so kind,
please cut grass along this line.
Thank you so much.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by dogma:

If you would be so kind,
please cut grass along this line.
Thank you so much.

can you do that with the first picture too?

that's gonna make it easier for me...since they might wonder how I got to translate it to chinese...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

IMO it looks like the yard is to small for a riding mower.