TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to gaforces

MVM

to gaforces

Re: Watch out for upsell

said by gaforces:

I dunno about this story, something smells of BS.

She let her service lapse. From AT&T's point of view, she was a "new customer". It sucks, but it is the way things are.

As for the changes, apparently AT&T is retiring the older ADSL equipment as they replace it. How can they continue to provide "legacy"service to customers when the legacy hardware is gone? IP-DSLAM isn't the same as traditional ADSL, and traditional ADSL modems won't work with IP-DSLAM service.

My take on this is simply that the customer should take the AT&T upgrade notice very seriously, and decide whether the upgrade is worth the effort (don't wait until they disconnect you to upgrade!) or a change of provider is in order.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

I agree! As much as I'm not a fan of AT&T, they do have a right to discontinue a service. Comcast discontinued digital phone on me and made me move to digital voice. (didn't care for that) but what could I do? The switch was sold and I couldn't expect them to offer a service to me forever.

The only thing I see an issue with is that AT&T should have migrated the customers for no charge. AT&T made a HUGE effort to drive DSL sales a few years back.. I even recall a quote made by the CEO at the time stating "Yes, $14.95 DSL is a loss leader, and U-Verse isn't available YET, but it's easier to market a new product to a captive audience than it is to find new customers"...

AT&T knew what it was doing years back when they loaded up DSL consumers.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by fiberguy2:

The only thing I see an issue with is that AT&T should have migrated the customers for no charge.

Would have been a better way than disconnecting the unresponsive customer. Except that there would still be complainers.