All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Ike1
join:2012-06-02
Brooklyn, NY

Ike1 to BosstonesOwn

to BosstonesOwn

Re: [HD] Another QAM Bites the Dust - More Spanish MPEG-4 HD!

I don't know much about the Spanish-language channels, but wouldn't it have made more sense for Verizon to add those new Univision channels in HD first, if they're offered in HD? The press release doesn't say so specifically, but it sort of implies they're adding them only in SD. But Univision dwarfs all other Spanish-language channels in the U.S. in audience size, so I'd imagine Univision tlNovelas (if offered in HD), the Univision news channel (if offered in HD), and especially Univision Deportes HD would make better adds? But instead they're coughing up these Olympusat channels in HD. I guess we can all assume those are just way way cheaper as HD additions than the Univision channels, then? And that Verizon is run by cheapskates?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, actually, since I don't speak more than a few words of Spanish and so I don't watch Univision.

Is this the Spanish-language equivalent of adding Wealth TV HD and crappy Byron Allen .tv channels in HD while NOT adding BBCA HD and Cartoon Network HD? Because if so, this is familiar Verizon behavior to us mainly-English-speaking audiences.... :P

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

said by Ike1:

Is this the Spanish-language equivalent of adding Wealth TV HD and crappy Byron Allen .tv channels in HD while NOT adding BBCA HD and Cartoon Network HD?

That's kind of my impression. Mostly because, as with the .TV channels, these show up in my TiVo's guide as "Local Origination", running "Local Programming"; i.e., there is no real guide data for them. I got nowhere with TiVo or Tribune when trying to fix that for the .TVs -- and they blamed Verizon. Are these new Spanish channels even carried on any other system?
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to Ike1

to Ike1
Yes , why yes it is !

Hence the cutbacks on the roll outs The HD channels from any station in SA or CA are almost double the sd costs, but they are available on satellite feeds in mpeg4 and HD, if Im verizon I use the set tops to scale down to sd and just use one stream but I guess that is really a lot to ask.