All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr to NormanS

to NormanS

Re: Wow.. Now I'm glad I didn't get Uverse Internet after all..

Not really.. You're just not up to date with At&t's new marketing speak..
AT7T has re-branded their old aDSL as a form of Uverse service.

They only way to tell, is to try and sign up and see what speeds they offer after plugging in your address. A typical 3.3kft loop would be able support downward bit rates of 5-8Mbit/sec(aDSL), 10-17Mb(aDSL2+), 15-23Mb/sec(vDSL), ??Mb/sec(vDSL2+)..

But all At&t Uverse would offer was 1.5Mb/sec down.. Indicating no connection to the Vram, instead it would be a 12-15kt ft line would home run back to CO. (Which is basically equals no service..)
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Actually, they are still labeled different. It's not always obvious unless they are side by side on the same page... "AT&T DSL" (ADSL/ATM) vs. "Uverse DSL [HSI]" (ADSL2+/PTM) vs "Uverse Internet" (VDSL)

In areas where Uverse (either kind) is installed, they will not offer legacy DSL. If you are ever disconnected from legacy DSL, you will *never* be reattached to it. (even if you are out of range for any uverse. this is the often seen "no available ports" excuse.)
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

1 edit

tkdslr

Well I haven't used At&t's aDSL service for over 6 years now. (I used Covad/Speakeasy bridged aDSL circuit during most of that time)

I'm 3.3kft from a 6ft high environmental cabinet housing the VRAM servicing my subdivision.

The max speed they're offering me is 1.5Mb/sec down.. which was the max speed for the OLD CO serviced aDSL service.

Thus, it's not a matter of what you think(they call it), they just won't connect it no matter what. At&t will try to trick to customer into thinking they got Uverse, when all they got was the old aDSL.