uniqs
share rss forum feed

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

Sooo....World IPv6 launch day anyone?

Well, it's a few hours away now.
Is your ISP participating in world IPv6 launch day?
If not, are you ahead of the curve with your own tunnel from HE or another provider?

»www.worldipv6launch.org/

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
My ISP is not there yet, but I've been on an HE.net tunnel for a couple years.

I noticed a few days ago that Facebook and Netflix were already up and running on their main sites. It looks like most of the sites listed on »www.worldipv6launch.org/ are up and running as well, with Google being the major exception.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
reply to cablegeek01
Another HE.net tunnel user, here. I am ready.

Tim

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to cablegeek01
My ISP for home Internet (Sonic.net) does not offer direct IPv6 connections but does offer IPv6 tunnels (easy to configure on their customer support portal).

I also have another IPv6 tunnel from HE (Hurricane Electric) who are clearly the leaders for IPv6 connectivity in the US.

I did check with our business Internet provider at work and not only are they not ready yet, they do not appear to have any plans in place
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

ftarz
Premium
join:2004-03-18
Raleigh, NC
reply to cablegeek01
My ISP (Time Warner) is "supposed" to be in the process of implementing IPV6, but you wouldn't know it. Calls to tech support for questions like is my area covered or do I need to update my cable modem were answered with "What's IPV6 and who told me it was being rolled-out?" Then finally: "check the web page since we have no idea."

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

He tunnel here for quite some time. Comcast is rolling native IPv6 out but it's not here yet, and they are not communicating details about where and when they are going live. Some do have it.

jfeise

join:2009-03-27
Santa Ana, CA
reply to cablegeek01
I also have an HE tunnel for a long time.
Waiting for AT&T to get IPv6 ready...
My website provider (Linode) runs dual stack since 1/2 year ago or so (before, I used another HE tunnel there.)
--
AT&T U-Verse, Slackware Linux 12.2, IPv6 tunnel

Jammers

join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

1 recommendation

reply to cablegeek01
How will this IPv6 launch affect the ordinary user when their ISP starts rolling it out? Will we need new equipment such as new modems?

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Ideally, it will be transparent. Most ISPs are trying very hard to implement a Dual Stack approach (Supply the customer with both an IPv4 and IPv6 address), as are web hosts.

If your hardware doesn't support IPv6, you should be able to access a website via IPv4.
I doubt there will be too many sites offering IPv6 only access to their websites in the next few years.
In reality, IPv6 is kind of the next generation frontier. There's not too much out there right now, but it's fun to explore and learn new technology.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to Jammers
said by Jammers:

How will this IPv6 launch affect the ordinary user when their ISP starts rolling it out? Will we need new equipment such as new modems?

For better or worse, IPv4 will be around for a long while yet (perhaps it will not go away ever). All modern operating systems (Linux, Unix, Mac, Windows) implement both IPv4 and IPv6 and while those two network stacks are not compatible they do peacefully coexist and can be used concurrently. This means that the computers you use at home (desktop, laptop, smartphone) are most likely ready when IPv6 arrives at your home.

Most broadband CPE (dsl modems, cable modems prior to docsis 3.0) are not yet IPv6 ready and it is unlikely that there will be firmware upgrades to enable IPv6 on those products. Therefore most users will need new broadband CPE in order to get native IPv6 support. Note that you can get tunneled IPv6 today and for that your broadband CPE does not need to support IPv6.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Jammers

join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR
How will we know when our ISP transitions to IPv6?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

2 recommendations

They should tell you. The problem with huge national ISPs is that they can't roll out IPv6 everywhere all at the same time.

And my ISP at least, isn't telling us where they they have deployed and where they have not.

The result of this is that some users are trying to configure for IPv6 but are not succeeding. But they don't know if they are making mistakes in the configuration such that it won't work, or worse, they are trying to configure for something that can't work because it has not been deployed yet.

ftarz
Premium
join:2004-03-18
Raleigh, NC
reply to cablegeek01
I purchased my own SB6141 to replace TW's SB5120 that I was using.

I took my new cable modem down to my local TW office and had it authorized, but when I got home it would get an IP address but not much else.

I called TW support and patiently answered and reanswered all the tech's questions to convince him that I really had a problem. After a while I was bumped-up to level 3 support who quickly fixed the problem at TW's end.

The level 3 guy and I talked a bit about getting ready for IPV6. He said he haven't heard anything definitive from TW about IPV6 roll-out and wanted to know what I've heard.

Guess I'll be power-cycling my modem every once in a while to see if it gets an IPV6 address.

Frank

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to cablegeek01
Finally got my tunnel sorted out from my provider, Sonic.net.

My Apple Time Capsule was a breeze to configure, once I figured out the confusingly different terms the different entities use.

Seems to work well.