N of 49th

2 recommendations

Kardinal to Viper677

Mod

to Viper677

Re: [Rant] Traffic laws people seem to not know, or ignore

said by Viper677:

Oh, I got one.

You dont have to leave a freaking 5 sec gap from the vehicle in front of you when you are driving at 30km/hr in a traffic jam. Close in the gap so people can get to where they need to be faster.

5 second gap at 30km/h would be 8.3m/s, so you'll be 51m closer to your destination but travelling at the same speed as you would have been 51m further back. So possibly getting there 5 seconds faster.

In a traffic jam, I'd prefer people don't dart back and forth between lanes, trying to get a few car lengths ahead, and causing traffic to slow down a bit more every time they cut in front of someone and they have to slow down even further to make the space for them.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Well said Kardinal.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

said by Viper677:

Oh, I got one.

You dont have to leave a freaking 5 sec gap from the vehicle in front of you when you are driving at 30km/hr in a traffic jam. Close in the gap so people can get to where they need to be faster.

5 second gap at 30km/h would be 8.3m/s, so you'll be 51m closer to your destination but travelling at the same speed as you would have been 51m further back. So possibly getting there 5 seconds faster.

In a traffic jam, I'd prefer people don't dart back and forth between lanes, trying to get a few car lengths ahead, and causing traffic to slow down a bit more every time they cut in front of someone and they have to slow down even further to make the space for them.

I actually do not see this as much as I used to.
Viper677
Certified Home Inspector
join:2012-03-22
Toronto

Viper677 to Kardinal

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

said by Viper677:

Oh, I got one.

Dont take 5 sec gap @ 30km/hr literary, these were just random #s used to make a point and yes, it does slow down the traffic flow.

If the vehicle in front of me (on a street traffic) is keeping longer than normal distance from the vehicle in front of it then it will take me longer to make a right turn that is coming up in the next few meters (again just an example).

The point is, keep less distance between cars at low speeds and keep larger distance at higher speeds.

P.S I see that every day in Markham (Woodbine Ave) Area during rush hours and no I did not say that most of these drivers are Asians. For me to say that would be being profiling, I dont do that.

BryceS
join:2007-09-17
Stouffville, ON

BryceS to Kardinal

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

said by Viper677:

Oh, I got one.

I drive a manual.

A gap will be made, so that I don't give myself gout.

Not as large as that but usually one and half car lengths.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

NefCanuck to Viper677

to Viper677
said by Viper677:

said by Kardinal:

said by Viper677:

Oh, I got one.

Dont take 5 sec gap @ 30km/hr literary, these were just random #s used to make a point and yes, it does slow down the traffic flow.

If the vehicle in front of me (on a street traffic) is keeping longer than normal distance from the vehicle in front of it then it will take me longer to make a right turn that is coming up in the next few meters (again just an example).

The point is, keep less distance between cars at low speeds and keep larger distance at higher speeds.

P.S I see that every day in Markham (Woodbine Ave) Area during rush hours and no I did not say that most of these drivers are Asians. For me to say that would be being profiling, I dont do that.

I just had to comment on this one as not only is it dead wrong to not leave adequate space between vehicles regardless of the speed of traffic (I use the "two steamboat" rule and will slow down as necessary to maintain it) it's exactly why I'm stuck in a s**tbag Dodge Calibre while my car's rear bumper is being repaired because some stupid woman failed to leave enough space between her and my car and demolished my rear bumper when she was distracted by something she saw at the side of the road, hit the brakes and couldn't stop because she hadn't left enough space in slow moving rush hour traffic (But because I had left enough space in front of *me* no one else was involved)

Folks, leave space between you and the car in front of you, the few seconds you may lose in getting to your destination can't possibly make up for the inconvenience of having to deal with the insurance company (or the deductible that you'll have to eat if you were the one who rear ends someone else)

NefCanuck
Viper677
Certified Home Inspector
join:2012-03-22
Toronto

Viper677

said by NefCanuck:

I just had to comment on this one as not only is it dead wrong to not leave adequate space between vehicles regardless of the speed of traffic (I use the "two steamboat" rule and will slow down as necessary to maintain it) it's exactly why I'm stuck in a s**tbag Dodge Calibre while my car's rear bumper is being repaired because some stupid woman failed to leave enough space between her and my car and demolished my rear bumper when she was distracted by something she saw at the side of the road, hit the brakes and couldn't stop because she hadn't left enough space in slow moving rush hour traffic (But because I had left enough space in front of *me* no one else was involved)

Folks, leave space between you and the car in front of you, the few seconds you may lose in getting to your destination can't possibly make up for the inconvenience of having to deal with the insurance company (or the deductible that you'll have to eat if you were the one who rear ends someone else)

NefCanuck

No one is saying that you should not leave space, I was talking about how much of a space you need to leave. There is a very fine line between safety and just being a bad and a slow driver.

You need to pay attention to where you are going, of course it does not matter how much space you leave, I can not fix 'idiot'.

Summary: Its easier to stop while driving at slow speed so no need to leave 'longer than normal' distance between cars.

[edit]