spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

johncw

join:2009-05-04

[Extreme] Anyone able to purchase Cisco DPC 3825 modem?

I tried the Rogers Plus store and called Rogers - they seems
to only sell the SMC modem and rent the 3825. When I signed
up for extreme, I believe that I was told that if I wanted to
purchase the modem, I would be able to buy one from the Plus
store, swap them out then return the one that was rented.

Has anyone purchased a 3825 from Rogers?

Thanks
John

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

Rogers does not sell a retail packaged Cisco DPC 3825. The only retail packaged ones they sell are the SMC.

However, you do have the option of purchasing a Cisco DPC 3825 from the rental pool. It will likely be refurbished but still comes with a full one year warranty. Many reps may not know you can do this, so you might have to try several reps before you get one who does it for you. The cost of the modem will get billed to your account.

You can also purchase an SMC retail packaged one, and just go to a plus store and claim its defective and have it swapped for a Cisco one as all warranty swaps are taken from the rental pool anyways.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

said by yyzlhr :

Rogers does not sell a retail packaged Cisco DPC 3825. The only retail packaged ones they sell are the SMC.

However, you do have the option of purchasing a Cisco DPC 3825 from the rental pool. It will likely be refurbished but still comes with a full one year warranty. Many reps may not know you can do this, so you might have to try several reps before you get one who does it for you. The cost of the modem will get billed to your account.

You can also purchase an SMC retail packaged one, and just go to a plus store and claim its defective and have it swapped for a Cisco one as all warranty swaps are taken from the rental pool anyways.

Actually, A LOT (if not all) of the CISCO DPC 3825's being installed by technicians are brand new. If the technician brought the modem and took it out of a box then it was new, if it came in a bag or no bag at all then it was used.
--
Hello

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

Not true. The ones that come in the brown cardboard boxes do not mean its new. The only way to tell if its new is if the serial number was run through the provisioning/billing system to see if its ever been registered to an account. Whether the modem is packaged in boxes or bags is dependent on what packaging material is available at the warehouse and is not an indication of whether the equipment is new or not.

aereolis

Brampton, ON

said by yyzlhr :

Not true. The ones that come in the brown cardboard boxes do not mean its new. The only way to tell if its new is if the serial number was run through the provisioning/billing system to see if its ever been registered to an account. Whether the modem is packaged in boxes or bags is dependent on what packaging material is available at the warehouse and is not an indication of whether the equipment is new or not.

Uhm... YES. It does. I have 4 or 5 sitting in my truck now.

The only other way it wouldn't be new in one of those boxes was if it was *FACTORY* refurbished and then it would indicate on the box or it would come in a bag again.
--
Hello

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

It is not a definitive indication that it is new. I used to work at retail, and I had a lot of picky customers that would ask me if those Cisco ones were new. When I ran the serial numbers of the ones that came in the Cardboard box, half of our inventory was NOT new.

aereolis

Brampton, ON

1 edit

said by yyzlhr :

It is not a definitive indication that it is new. I used to work at retail, and I had a lot of picky customers that would ask me if those Cisco ones were new. When I ran the serial numbers of the ones that came in the Cardboard box, half of our inventory was NOT new.

From the store- that does not surprise me. I have in many cases returned the cisco modems after opening them to take the power cord or only swap the modem, or just put the modem on an account to test to see if i'm having a problem with a modem at a specific house, and then put back on the original.
[edit]
I guess the better way (but in my experience doesn't make a difference, they've all been new) to determine if you have new equipment is to check the serial numbers of the boxes you have in inventory. If they go like this example:
You know they are new.

I had a problem with a phone modem once. Went to swap it, grabbed a brand new phone modem (NEW, in box!). It didn't work. I had no signal so i got the guys at the office to swap it, they couldn't get it to work, they asked me to get another one and swap it, i gave them the serial number, and I told them the serial number and the box was new (the second new phone modem) they were surprised as i was giving it to them that the serial numbers were identical except for the last number was only one digit higher from the previous model. He checked the history and nobody had used either of the two of them.[/edit]
--
Hello