uniqs

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey

Re: replace a smart meter with a non smart meter.

said by mackey:

Not necessarily. Some states, such as Pennsylvania, mandate that a certain percentage of power is generated by "alternate" sources. If a power company does not maintain that percentage then they are heavily fined. It may in fact be cheaper for the power companies to pay small incentives to people to install solar/wind then it is for them to build the farms themselves.

/M

POCO incentives make sense but tax rebates? To force all taxpayers to pay a select few to install alternative power sources is a stretch. I would not expect (or want) others paying their taxes to contribute anything toward a project like that.

Now if the government chose those living below the poverty line and having trouble paying their utilities then it might be viable to install whole systems, but to give to those of us well able to pay our own way.........

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Fronkman

Premium Member

to Fronkman
said by Fronkman:

Personally, we will be going the route of PV with a new system scheduled to be installed this month. The system will be capable of generating our total monthly power usage during most months (we don't use much power, about 250-300 kWh /month for a family of 3) and will knock down our bill in the July and August. Based on power costs and the various incentives and tax rebates, it will pay for itself in 1.75 years.

Wow, excellent payback! Please share the details of that system.

As for the political side, big gubbmint always incentivizes things it wants us to do, and in some cases that happens to be a good thing. I'd say this is one of those cases.

As I'm likely going to be building a new house soon I'm really interested in this stuff, too.