Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

[IPv6] Does modem need to support IPv6 to get IPv6?

I have a Linksys E3000 which is running TomatoUSB. There's an option in that to enable "DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation" with a prefix length of 64. There's also an option to enable router advertisements and accept them from the WAN or LAN (is Comcast using these?). (see »www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?th···t.38006/).

Anyway, I tried doing that, but the router didn't report that it got an IPv6 ip address (edit: I checked and apparently it just assigned itself a private ip address). I could nslookup other IPv6 addresses so DNS was working. I also tried pinging (ping and ping6) ipv6.google.com and while it looks like it was sending pings out to Google's IPv6 address, there was no response to any of the ping packets sent.

I have a ZoomTelephonics 5341 which does not have a check box next to the IPv6 column on Comcast's device page. My modem reports that it is not getting an IPV6 address either.

Does that mean IPv6 won't work, even though my router should support it?
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Your modem must support IPv6 to obtain the IP.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ExoticFish:

The IP on the router or on the modem?

By the way, my modem does support IPv6 as there is an area that says there is no IPv6 ip address on the modem's web page, it's just not listed as such on Comcast's device page.
--

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Are you sure IPv6 is available in your area ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ExoticFish:

I'm not 100% sure, but Comcast supposedly enabled it in the Philly/NJ area, which is where I am.
--

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:73

3 edits

2 recommendations

reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

I'd like to clarify that a bit, the modem does not need to have an IPV6 management address for your computer/router to obtain an IPV6 address.

Of course IPV6 must still be enabled in your area for you to actually pull an IPV6 address/prefix. Basing the availability of V6 off the modem management page is not a surefire approach.

But I just wanted to point that out because a lot of people are looking at their modem stats and thinking that because they don't see IPV6 enabled there that it must mean IPV6 is not enabled in their area.

Tibby
Winbeta
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Oswego, IL
reply to Morac

My modem sais IPv4.

My router pulled an IPv6 address and a /64 block for my network. Works as expected.
--
VP - WinBeta

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to Morac

said by Morac:

it's just not listed as such on Comcast's device page.

This means that Comcast has either found bugs in the IPv6 implementation your modem uses and is waiting for a firmware update, or has not yet tested it for certification. Without the certification, the CMTS will not IPv6ify (technical term) your line.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Morac

said by Morac:

said by ExoticFish:

I'm not 100% sure, but Comcast supposedly enabled it in the Philly/NJ area, which is where I am.

If you PM me your cable modem mac more then happy to check.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to Morac

I doubt very much I have it enabled here.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Morac

I have been following all the info about IPV6, and as far as I can tell, there are a lot of "parts" that need to be in place for a given user to get this to work.

First, and I think most important, is that Comcast has to have enabled IPV6 at the CMTS. From what I can tell, this is something that NetDog See Profile can verify if you PM them the MAC address of the of your Cable Modem.

Next, is it true that your cable modem must support taking an IPV6 IP from Comcast's DHCP servers? I would think if you had an old cable modem, it won't know what an IPV6 IP is, thus not being able to "acquire" one from Comcast. Even if comcast was sending one, and your router was able to get it, if the cable modem does not support it, I would think you would be out of luck.

Then, one must have a router that supports IPV6. I take this to mean that 1) Your router will have no problems pulling a IPV6 IP from Comcast via your cable modem, assuming the CMTS is sending one, and your cable modem supports it and 2) Your router will be able to assign IPV6 IP's to your internal network (just like a current IPV4 DHCP server does now)

Finally, you have to have an OS that will get an IPV6 IP from your router.

On a very high level, has what I said above correct? I know there are a lot of technical details for it to work exactly correct. But, in a perfect world on a high level, am I correct?

If so, I would like to verify if my area is ready for IPV6. From there, I can look at the next item (my cable modem), and verify that is ready to go. Then, I'll move onto my router, and finally, the devices on my network.

Thanks in advance,

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by plencnerb:

On a very high level, has what I said above correct? I know there are a lot of technical details for it to work exactly correct. But, in a perfect world on a high level, am I correct?

--Brian

Yes on a High-level you are correct. Alot of moving parts here that need to work together..

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

NetDog,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have sent you a PM of the MAC address of my Cable Modem so you can check on that.

--Brian

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to plencnerb

What you've said is correct. That's basically how it goes.

You could PM the NetDog there and see about your "area" having IPv6 support. After that you can see if your modem/router/devices support IPv6 in that order

rw123
Premium
join:2004-01-16
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Morac

Morac, I could not get my e3000 using current tomatoe usb (toastman) to pull the ipv6 but could directly from the modem. Must have been missing something but could not find it.
--
Running Arris TM722G

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

Next, is it true that your cable modem must support taking an IPV6 IP from Comcast's DHCP servers? I would think if you had an old cable modem, it won't know what an IPV6 IP is, thus not being able to "acquire" one from Comcast. Even if comcast was sending one, and your router was able to get it, if the cable modem does not support it, I would think you would be out of luck.
--Brian

I was asked to correct this one part. The CM does not necessarily have to support IPV6 addressing itself for your computer/router to get an IPV6 address.

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
reply to rw123

That's what I'm running (toastman). Maybe there's a compatibility issue?

rw123
Premium
Indianapolis, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast

While on the surface it would seem to not be a problem, obviously I could not get toastman to pull an ipv6 with what seems to be the same settings as my new dlink 827 which works fine. I am betting something is just not set up right, but it will take a better person than me to figure it out.
--
Running Arris TM722G

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by rw123:

While on the surface it would seem to not be a problem, obviously I could not get toastman to pull an ipv6 with what seems to be the same settings as my new dlink 827 which works fine. I am betting something is just not set up right, but it will take a better person than me to figure it out.

Turns out IPV6 isn't enabled for me yet according to NetDog.
--

rw123
Premium
Indianapolis, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast

Well that is the weird part for me since I can pull directly from the modem, from the dlink-827, but not from the e3000 (with tomato USB toastman)

The other thing of course for you to try is to connect directly at the modem and see if you can pull an ipv6 address sometime. Hope you get it soon!

r
--
Running Arris TM722G

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
reply to NetDog

I'm still wondering when my modem is going to be put into IPv6 mode. I do recieve an IPv6 address though.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm still wondering when my modem is going to be put into IPv6 mode. I do recieve an IPv6 address though.

Mike, The MDD IP Mode Override doesnt mean anything to the CPE Side or LAN side of the Cable modem. It is for the DOCSIS side if you PM me your MAC Address of the cable modem and I will look at your CMTS and see if you have CPE v6.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Alright. I think we did that already.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO

said by Mike Wolf:

Alright. I think we did that already.

Your right I PM'ed you the answer..

pcdoc

join:2002-11-14
Chesapeake Beach, MD
reply to Morac

I always fail the IPV6 test using Toastman's Tomato on a Netgear 3500L V1.
I pass when I connect the modem directly to PC.

Does this look right for IPV6 setup in Tomato?

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to NetDog

yes but i think that was before I was recieving an IPv6 address from Comcast. »Re: [IPv6] Evidence of Comcast IPv6 CPE Dual Stack (CPE and CPEP

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pcdoc

said by pcdoc:

Does this look right for IPV6 setup in Tomato?

Nope. That's a 6to4 prefix. You need to use DHCPv6 on the WAN interface. Then DHCP-PD on the LAN interface.

I'm not sure Tomato supports it.

pcdoc

join:2002-11-14
Chesapeake Beach, MD

Anyone know if DDWRT supports IPV6 properly?

NathanO

join:2008-08-21
Moorestown, NJ

I don't believe it does. It does not seem to have DHCPv6.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pcdoc

said by pcdoc:

Anyone know if DDWRT supports IPV6 properly?

DD-WRT doesn't with stock builds. Some have reported success with OpenWRT though.

Edit: OpenWRT does indeed support DHCPv6-PD. »forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=32530