tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to HR

Premium Member

to HR

Re: [Speed] Own Extreme 50, why does Comcast want $250 to "

for that $250 the tech comes and verifies speed, and signal strength, noise and wiring condition.

It also covers if they need to rewire the coax, replace the drop, have maintaince replace the tap, 'clean the lines', add a node (physical or virtual) run new fiber, add channels or new cards at the CMTS.
Obivously that measly $250 doesn't pay for all that, but on average it helps.
It also does one more thing
It discourages people from signing up for the 105 tier for just one month just "to try it out" while Comcast has to eat all those extra costs.

HR
@comcast.net

HR

Anon

I don't recall them ever doing this for 50mbps service. I believe they handed me a modem to lease and said "good luck". If they have to verify all of this to get 105 service, I'm wondering whats the point, perhaps 50 is fast enough. Thank you for the replies.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

for that $250 the tech comes and verifies speed, and signal strength, noise and wiring condition.

It also covers if they need to rewire the coax, replace the drop, have maintaince replace the tap, 'clean the lines', add a node (physical or virtual) run new fiber, add channels or new cards at the CMTS.
Obivously that measly $250 doesn't pay for all that, but on average it helps.
It also does one more thing
It discourages people from signing up for the 105 tier for just one month just "to try it out" while Comcast has to eat all those extra costs.

WUT!?!?!

it does NOT cover add a node, run fiber, channels, or cards...that is utter nonsense.... no company will do that for a customer paying $250

while it does help curb the churn of 105 customers, it does in fact help pay for techs like me to stop EVERYTHING i'm doing preventativly in a completely different area and go fix any issue that the monitoring system detects regardless of how unrelated it is to download speeds....

the install fee pays for the required tech rolls of the service tech and the line tech to fix the issue in the node which can affect the as-paid-for-speeds..

op- most customers do in fact have a d3 modem....that doesnt mean all people will see the d3 speeds given the proper bootfile....levels, downstream SNR, upstream SNR (in the whole node), in channel frquency response, modem distortions, etc...all these need to be checked and rectified before comcast says you can have those speeds....
gar187er

gar187er to HR

to HR
50megs doesnt tax the system so speak as the 105 package does....not mention when you have 105 service they expect you to be downloading a metric ton.....so they figure you will experience issues where a lesser tier woudlnt...

50 is damn fast enough...i always saw the 105 tier as overkill...

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

WUT!?!?!

it does NOT cover add a node, run fiber, channels, or cards...that is utter nonsense.... no company will do that for a customer paying $250

If you carefully read what I wrote you'll see that was my exact point.
No they can't do that for a single customer, but over an average of 1000- 105 installs the $250,000 they collect will HELP pay for the 2-3-4 times they need to add/split a node, the 10's of times they needs additional line techs to find some noise, etc.
Surely it doesn't pay it all, but it helps and if the $250 bite keeps away the high churn "just wanted to try it" crowd, the long term customer will end up paying of the rest over time.
This is about selecting higher quality customers for the premium service levels.
tshirt

tshirt to HR

Premium Member

to HR
Well it depends what you do and what tier you are coming from but for MOST 50 is plenty.
In fact a clean 12/2 will handle all customers needs 99% of the time, but if you have 2 kids doing homework (or playing games) at the same time you ar streaming something and the wife is downloading something else... you only need 1 or 2 small glitches before many will pay the $10-35 to jump up a few tiers.
It's the "buttery flavored oil" on movie popcorn, you know you don't NEED it, but are you willing to risk a less than perfect moment over a few bucks?
This psychology drives a great deal of the american market, and is why service tiers are designed the way they are.

L337
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Chicago, IL

L337 to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
Haha, trust me 105 is overkill. I had it and I know it. Stick with 50 guys!

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

1 edit

JigglyWiggly

i've heard of people doing it without install fee
you gotta nag on phone

live chat ppl get you nowhere

beckshink
@comcast.net

beckshink to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt
I was told that it was to have them verify that we can even get 105, and if we couldnt, they wouldnt pay us back.
I had NO intention to just try it out, especially since there is a 12mo agreement, however, I refuse to pay 250$ for them to LOOK if there equipment is upgraded, and if not, pay for them to upgrade their infrastructure. they make enough profits, they can upgrade the infrastructure w/o costing an arm and a leg for the consumer... I really wanted it, as we are big gamers, and use a lot of bandwidth, however, I will NOT pay that much for them to see if they can even get me the 105
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by beckshink :

I was told that it was to have them verify that we can even get 105, and if we couldnt, they wouldnt pay us back.
I had NO intention to just try it out, especially since there is a 12mo agreement, however, I refuse to pay 250$ for them to LOOK if there equipment is upgraded, and if not, pay for them to upgrade their infrastructure. they make enough profits, they can upgrade the infrastructure w/o costing an arm and a leg for the consumer... I really wanted it, as we are big gamers, and use a lot of bandwidth, however, I will NOT pay that much for them to see if they can even get me the 105

if and when you get it and does not live up to your expectation, you expect them to "fix" whatever you think is broken, nag them and demand that they deliver the speeds promised....they basically go out on a limb for YOU only....and you expect them to do this for free? they're running a business and this is how they run it....

big gamers spend a lot on their rigs, maybe $250 shouldn't be a lot for bandwidth.

you expect good service....pony up for it...